• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Next Panel Reports

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Releasing absolutely everything straight to boxset rather than waiting a year or two would kill the casual purchase market. While they can release older, repackaged series at a price point of around $30 to $50, they've generally already made the profit from the individual disks, and the "brick" profits are just gravy. To recoup the costs of licensing and dubbing, they usually need to sell the singles first, as some of us just aren't prepared to shell out $120 to $150 or so at once for a complete set of a "new" series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:14 pm Reply with quote
No, not MMPPP!

I was seriously looking forward to it, and now it's gone. I can't see why a network would pass this up . . . there are tons of little girls out there hyped up on the Little Mermaid that would love this. Girls haven't had a major cartoon hit since Sailor Moon. (Everything else is either for boys or totally gender neutral.)

Extra question, would this make MMPPP "safe" for fansubbing again? Because if so, I've got some downloadin' to do.
Laruto

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Dude Salior Moon was not a hit, it was more like a so so popular show. If anything The Winx Club is already a hit with the girls( even though its not anime). However if you want anime I believe If 4Kids Licenses Pretty Cure that would really be a huge hit with girls.
-gecko-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, for me, patience has paid off. I've been waiting for a full release of Orphen II ever since the first volume DVD, since I got the first season in a multipack.

I've always been partial to ADV; they had the most releases sold in military exchanges. I'm sad they are going down the tubes. I disagree with the poster that mentioned that their dubs were bad. They have very good dubs IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darcerin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:47 am Reply with quote
-gecko- wrote:
I've always been partial to ADV; they had the most releases sold in military exchanges. I'm sad they are going down the tubes. I disagree with the poster that mentioned that their dubs were bad. They have very good dubs IMO.

Have you seen some of their older dub work, Devil Hunter Yohko and Slayers: The Motion Picture? I want to SCREAM when I hear those dubs. And I LOVE both those series. I bought the DVD release of DHY JUST so I could get rid of my VHS dub tapes!

Granted, I haven't seen any of their dub work recently but the dub of DHY was enough for me to turn a deaf ear to any future dubs of theirs...
lyricaldanichan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:11 am Reply with quote
I dunno I think ADV is full of it since that should also apply to the Austriallian release (by Madman Ent) of Gantz too. Apparenlty they have the "uncut" version at 100min per dvd -> http://www.gantz.com.au/index2.html

I am suprised that it did so well at all since all I seen at Best Buy were over a dozen of Gantz dvds not being sold (even with the box).

So what is up with that?
Case

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:13 am Reply with quote
Anyone have the date on the Mukou no Basho release?

Also, I see everyone is talking about Kaleidostar season 2, but was anything at all said about Princess Tutu? Is it in the same boat?
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:30 am Reply with quote
-gecko- wrote:

They don't suck, they just had problems

1) Always the same people. In recent dubs I don't know any show that didn't have either Monica Rial, Chris Patton, Greg Ayres, Tiffany Grant, or other ADV veterans as the lead. They rarely ever used anyone new. That was on of thier major problems with thier dubs right there. No diversity. Nothing to make the dubs unique. The voice actors are good, don't get me worng, but new people bring change and something to the dub that makes it feel like more consideration was put into the dub cast selection.

2) The fact that Matt Greenfield did almost everything in a majority of the dubs. Producer, director, etc. The purpose of using more than one director is to bring diveristy to the company. If it's all done by one man (the owner I might add) again, no diversity, no different perspectives, nothing new.

These are the 2 most contributing factors to ADVs fall from grace in my opinion.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:23 am Reply with quote
Did any other companies have panels at AnimeNEXT aside from FUNi and ADV?
Laruto

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:25 am Reply with quote
Why do i feel some huge company is gonna buy off ADV now Sad hey if that happens I wonder who Question Dun Dun Dun. Shocked
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I know what the series is that ADV is going to be putting on Cartoon Network. It will be on Adult Swim. I overheard it at KuniCon.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Laruto wrote:
However if you want anime I believe If 4Kids Licenses Pretty Cure that would really be a huge hit with girls.
Haha, that's a good one. Every 4K!DS anime that they've tried to make successful in the past has failed - exception Yu-Gi-Oh.

If FUNi doesn't get those Dragonball episodes out... well, at least Case Closed gets a higher episode count.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
I know what the series is that ADV is going to be putting on Cartoon Network. It will be on Adult Swim. I overheard it at KuniCon.

And I assume it's confidential, right? Rolling Eyes
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Yes it is.
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Ok. Did I miss something somewhere? Just where are all these ideas about ADV going down the tubes or possibly being bought out coming from? All of the companies have good sellers and bad sellers. It doesn't mean that they are in trouble. People are just jumping the gun.

As for voice actors, some of my very favorite work for ADV. Monica Rial, Hilary Haag & Tiffany Grant to name a few. Of course, that is just my humble opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4