• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Buy - They might not be selling anime anymore.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:21 pm Reply with quote
After the first of the year the Best Buy by my house says it will no longer cary Anime. Thank God I shop at Media Play and Suncoast.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:56 pm Reply with quote
From all the varied responses, it seems that BB lets its individual stores stock and price their anime according to the local market conditions.

Also, I don't care if my local BB stops selling anime, I will NOT buy from mediaplay or suncoast or fye. All those stores sell AT or ABOVE MSRP for anime, and I refuse to be suckered into paying that much for anime. If I can't find a reasonable price for an anime disc I'd like to buy at any of the local b&m stores, then I'll just hit that disc up on deepdiscountdvd.com and get it with free or usps priority (usually not THAT expensive if I have a large order) shipping.
galactic_lady

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I noticed when I was at my Best Buy a few weeks ago, that is, sometime in July, that their usually enormous Anime section had been reduced to just 2 sections of the isle. That's about half what they had before, but what's worse than the size down was the selection they carried. Instead of carrying a little bit of everything, now they only carry a whole bunch of certain shows. These shows were all shows I didn't give a flying hoot about so I'm pretty ticked off at them right now. They were the best place to get discs around here, way cheaper than Suncoast. So they, for example, dedicate an entire shelf to box sets of some show I've never heard of, probably something that just came out. Meanwhile, nothing at all for any of the many things I was looking for. Bunch of punks. You can still order all this stuff at their decent prices on-line, but I don't do that stuff, I prefer cash and carry. So I'm really ticked that availability sucks. Suncoast on the other hand has even more stock now, probably to compensate for the disappointed Best Buy customers, or they've made an evil deal with eachother. Best Buy said, "I'll stop carrying these shows if you give me $20" and then Suncoast is able to charge even more for them. I hate them, I curse their children. On the upside, Suncoast now has even more merchandise, I noticed figurines and all sorts of junk they never used to carry, as well as an enormous soundtrack rack.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:10 pm Reply with quote
yeah, and all of which you can get online for almost, if not more than half off of what suncoast sells them for.
galactic_lady

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Yes, they overprice, the only thing I EVER buy at Suncoast is the occasional manga which they sell for same price as Borders/Walden bookstores (generally). I just like to see more of the stuff on the shelf. It gets the word out, "hey, look, this stuff is cool, see how much of it they have on the shelf?" But then again, there are an aweful lot of crappy movies for sell at Suncoast too. I am always shocked and horrified by the prices of anime at Suncoast. Someone I work with also said that when movies first come out on DVD Suncoast sometimes has a deal on them, but they never shop there otherwise.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I was at BB in King of Prussia PA the other day and the only anime they had was Gundam Wing and Pokemon. Also, it was in the drama section. Shocked
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:55 am Reply with quote
galactic_lady wrote:
Yes, they overprice, the only thing I EVER buy at Suncoast is the occasional manga which they sell for same price as Borders/Walden bookstores (generally).

Likewise I never usually buy from Suncoast since there is anime store right around the corner from where that store is. But recently Suncoast has been cheaper then my Anime store, GITS SAC V7 with limited box and shirt is listed at 49.99 but I got it at suncoast for less than 40, is this some sort of trend that will continue one could only hope.
I don't know about Manga at these store since I do not read Manga, so I will take your word on the same price as borders/walden.

Delta Kiral
MacGuyver77

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:23 am Reply with quote
Humm...

I must be fortunate to have a local Frys store. They carry almost everything. And they have some 30.00 titles for 18.99. Good titles like Shamploo Vol 4 and Elfen lied. Try them if you have one local to you. I wanted a big box set that was 100 bucks from best buy. They got it to me for 80.00. I'm a customer for life with them. If they don't have it they will get it for you.

Anyone else have any experiences with them?
galactic_lady

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:29 pm Reply with quote
MacGuyver77 wrote:
I wanted a big box set that was 100 bucks from best buy. They got it to me for 80.00. I'm a customer for life with them. If they don't have it they will get it for you.

Anyone else have any experiences with them?

The Best Buy here refuses to do that stuff, they're total jerks. I downright refuse to buy stuff on the internet especially from a store that exists nearby. They won't get anything for me, they say "get it off our website" and I'm like "NO, YOU get it in your STORE" and they're like "No, you get it off our website and we'll deliver it to your house" and I'm like "NO I don't have a credit card" and they're like "I guess your out of luck" and I'm like "You bunch of JERKS!" I hate them. They used to have such a good selection. Jerks. Won't stock stuff even if I prepay or promise to buy it or want to special order it, jerks. "Order it on the website" ..."BITE ME!!" Sorry, they're clearly much nicer at your Best Buy.
blackhandgang

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Most of the reason that the prices are so cheap at BB is that the company buys all there stuff in bulk so that they can still have a lower price and still make a profit. Places like Suncoast and Sam Goody don't so they have to sell at the standard price to make money. Now with BB buying bulk you run into the problem that a lot of you have stated of being either not as diverse a selection or mostly new releases. In bulk sale stores they usually go through all their stock every week and they usually ween out the older stock only one to a few to make room for the new releases coming in the next. After a while they will tell the stores to send back any left over stock of a title. That's why you see the other stores still have older stock because they will sell anything as long as it is still being published.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4