• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Megaupload Site Shut Down Partly Due to Fruits Basket Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:
02 AND Tamers is already found on the video section of this site... Another example of not trying :/ For me though, my bone to pick is that I don't JUST want to watch it, I want to OWN it. And Toei will probably never allow uncut/subbed boxsets...

I was talking about the FIRST season.

Well it wasn't specified. And no, Adventure wasn't ever streamed so the only way to get it is through subs. Somewhere I'm sure it's being hosted, as the entire things had finished being subbed I believe a couple years back.

ArsenicSteel wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:
Checking other forums etc, I see the whining beging "WUUUUUT WHERE DO I GET MY MP3S AND ANIME NOW?!" -_-.... It's like, once one site goes down (MangaFox for example) suddenly it's the end of the world, and no other website exists... I don't know why I even bother reading some of their comments...

You'll keep reading the comments so that you can continue to put words the their mouths and ignore the valid issue that the content, legal or not, on that site is no longer available.

I think I read these things, in hope that someone will make some kind of rational comment. It just bothers me with how used to getting stuff handed for free people have become. It's as if the idea of buying stuff isn't even there (if they ever even wanted to...) Just sounds like a lot of kids who lost their 'freebies'. Of course I wasn't even going to mention that other websites exist... I don't want to point out common sense of bothering to look >_>
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think I read these things, in hope that someone will make some kind of rational comment. It just bothers me with how used to getting stuff handed for free people have become. It's as if the idea of buying stuff isn't even there (if they ever even wanted to...) Just sounds like a lot of kids who lost their 'freebies'. Of course I wasn't even going to mention that other websites exist... I don't want to point out common sense of bothering to look >_>

Logically it sounds like people that just lost their 'freebies' because people did lose their freebies with the taking down of MU. Since you keep referring to those complaining in a derogatory fashion it looks like you don't want rational comments to understand why some people can be bothered by this. What you want is to fight, argue, and finger wag as much as possible.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Not gonna lie...I did something bad. I erm, "illegally", viewed some AnoHana episodes via Megavideo the other day...Neutral

...aaaand then I bought the Blu-rays.

Other than that, I honestly don't think I've ever used that website. Maybe when I was younger? Can't really remember. Gotta thank 'em though, they found me a gem!
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:

While losing work is extremely annoying, you have nothing to blame but your own irresponsibility for that. If you value something, you back it up, preferably in more than one place. 7 gigabytes is a trivial amount to back up, either by external HD, burning to DVDs, or online backup. If you chose not to back things up, you really have no right to complain.

I'm assuming you didn't read it?

It's sort of hard to back up via a dead laptop. And I'm not knowledgeable to where you are, but where I am, it costs an arm and a leg for storage media. Any sort of storage media at that.

Underlined....What do you think I did? Then this happened.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
So the problem is that the bosses of Megaupload didn't comply with taking down the copyright infringe stuff, and this is the result after the FBI has been watching them? In that case, I can see why its shut down then, thanks for all the info everyone. Since owners were at fault, this just hurts the legitimate costumers/users when it comes to dealing with them.

Very unfortunate that this took place right after that SOPA business, as I expect there might be others lumping it as well.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Except.. that's exactly what they did. Megaupload is a file sharing site, nothing more. Was it largely used for illegal file sharing? Maybe. Probably. But any file sharing site will be used for that purpose, it's impossible to stop, so that fact by itself is not a good argument against Megaupload.

We shouldn't throw the baby with the bathwater. File-sharing sites have their legitimate uses. It's up to the site-owners to police themselves to keep it safe for the users.

Mad_Scientist wrote:

And so what if the executives had stupid license plates and liked to spend money? That's not illegal, nor is it proof of wrongdoing. "The guy in charge is an ass" is hardly a good legal argument.

No, of course not. It just makes it hard for us to feel sympathy for them. Kinda like pre-Gates Foundation and Microsoft was prosecuted for being an illegal monopoly and threatened to be broken up into pieces, we didn't feel any sympathy for Bill Gates because, well, he was an arrogant ass.

Lynx Amali wrote:

It's sort of hard to back up via a dead laptop. And I'm not knowledgeable to where you are, but where I am, it costs an arm and a leg for storage media. Any sort of storage media at that.

Take out the laptop hard drive, put it in a hard drive enclosure (dunno how much it costs where you are, but usually around $10-$20) to make it into an external hard drive, then plug it in via USB to another computer (it doesn't have to be your computer, as long as you could use it to backup).
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

I'm assuming you didn't read it?

Underlined....What do you think I did? Then this happened.

I read it. You didn't place as much value on your work as you claim. As has been mentioned, getting data off a hard drive in a dead laptop is pretty trivial. Even if the laptop was completely fried, including the hard drive (not too likely), you didn't have time in 2 years to download the data from Megaupload? 7 gigabytes comfortably fits on one dual layer DVD-R or two single layer DVD-Rs. Where exactly on earth are one or two DVD-Rs so expensive that it wasn't worth backing up your data?

Edit: Megaupload is (was) not online backup. They made no guarantees about your data being available in the future. You made negligible effort to back up your work, gambled that Megaupload would be around forever, and lost. If you still have that "dead" laptop, take it to someone at least somewhat knowledgeable with computers and you should be able to get your work off the hard drive, assuming you haven't tossed it.
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Seen this this morning...

Can't say i've ever used MU, but I know of tons of people that did.
I bet it was all that music that was on there that actually is what moved this all forward. I'm constantly seeing stuff on YT with videos of songs and links to MU where you could get it for free....

And personally, i'm thinking anything anime related was rather small and pretty insignificant compared to any of the other things that were on there... so I doubt there was a bunch of anime on there that the people were really all too worried about.

I imagine Media Fire to be next?
I only say that because, everytime i've seen someone post a link from MU, there was always a MF one right next to it.
... Always figured those two were used hand in hand with eachother...

Lol, still though, I still can't over this. Over SOPA... Over Anonymous...
People really need to figure out a way to kinda filter this kinda stuff out. Both the people who make the sites (if they don't want to get in so much trouble), and the people who go after the sites. Cause closing all this stuff down really isn't solving anything.
I imagine if YT can do it, surely it can be done...

... God, all this kinda stuff is such a mess... I'm not sure where I stand on any of it.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
peachsncreamsoda wrote:

Youtube doesn't do it. Some youtube higher up was quoted as estimating that 80% of the content on their site is illegal, something Viacom pointed out when they sued youtube for tons of money. And despite the fact that youtube has even created a bunch of automatic bots to locate copyrighted content (which often cause trouble for people who post legitimate content), I can still easily find thousands of illegal vids with no trouble whatsoever.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
peachsncreamsoda wrote:

Youtube doesn't do it. Some youtube higher up was quoted as estimating that 80% of the content on their site is illegal, something Viacom pointed out when they sued youtube for tons of money. And despite the fact that youtube has even created a bunch of automatic bots to locate copyrighted content (which often cause trouble for people who post legitimate content), I can still easily find thousands of illegal vids with no trouble whatsoever.

And with the help of some invaluable userscripts, you can also download those videos with ease off of YouTube, to store on your harddrives, forever. I did with a nice high quality of Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer, since that's always worth a rewatch.
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
peachsncreamsoda wrote:

By 80% though... Are they meaning actual straight illegal content? Or are they also counting stuff like, say you'r video taping yourself, but you also have something on the tv or are playing some music that would be considered copyright material while doing so... are they counting that aswell?
Because personally I think it does matter (the difference I mean), and I don't think that kind of thing should be counted but... then that goes along with the whole SOPA thing and well...

All in all... I guess it doesn't matter huh?
I was only saying so because, not only did I think YT did do something (as i've constantly and constantly seen vids taken down because of copyright stuff.) but, i've always been under the impression that the people who make these file sharing sites aren't even bothering enough to try to... Atleast then they'd have some kinda argument.
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
I'm curious how this effects people who used it legitimately, though. As a backup for important files, documents, and so forth. I wonder if they can get in trouble now that people are being denied their perfectly legitimate files, some they might not have the originals of anymore and need.

I've also heard of people using it to sent projects to clients and whatnot because it's pretty much stupidproof and quick, and e-mails have attachment file-limits.

Also, a lot of Android developers used the service, too because the reasons you listed. Yea...I've been reading various comments on how pissed people are because they have lost their legitimate work thanks to the shutdown.

That's why you have more then one copy of your picture documents and all that. Make backups and backups of those. This is part of the problem with having your stuff in the cloud. If they get shut down or out of business there is no way of getting it back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:

That's why you have more then one copy of your picture documents and all that. Make backups and backups of those. This is part of the problem with having your stuff in the cloud. If they get shut down or out of business there is no way of getting it back.

At some point during practical execution that creating backups becomes redundant, costly, and basically too much of a hassle to keep things up to date. Some people that having two copies is enough for their particular data. Making backups only increase the chances of being able to recover your data to a recent state after a disaster but backups are not 100% . Every backup option you can name can fail and leave people SOL in a worst case scenario.
inuhime

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:

That's why I don't care for cloud services and prefer having actual copies of anything (whether it's DVD, CD or something else). That way I don't have to worry about the cloud being gone or my PC going on the fritz.
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
jsc315 wrote:

At some point during practical execution that creating backups becomes redundant, costly, and basically too much of a hassle to keep things up to date. Some people that having two copies is enough for their particular data. Making backups only increase the chances of being able to recover your data to a recent state after a disaster but backups are not 100% . Every backup option you can name can fail and leave people SOL in a worst case scenario.

That's why backing up to the cloud is not a perfect solution. If this is your lifes work or wedding photos or whatever it may be, you really should not be relying on only one backup only online. That's all I'm saying.

If anything, this whole situation is a good lesson on backing up your data for those that have not. Have worked in the tech industry for a good 7 years I've seen horror stories of lost memories and data.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9