• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:18 am Reply with quote
Just got in a TRSI order for both seasons of Haruhi Suzumiya(rounding out my collection Haruhi-chan and Disappearance), Lucky Star and its OVA(whose back is the one place I've seen "Miku Hatsune") and a $1 blind buy, which turned out to be some Boogiepop Phantom art cards from the limited edition(so a minor mystery and some bookmarks - not bad for a buck).
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Just a little bit to report. Today while ordering something unrelated to anime from Amazon.com, I added an anime DVD to qualify free shipping and I made a preorder from TRSI that had been a while in coming.

Anime
Cyber City Oedo 808 (Complete collection)

Manga
Rising Son (volume 3)

Cyber City Oedo 808 was very cheap and I've been curious about it for a while. The way I appreciate these older OVAs is a little odd. I often don't think much of the stories and characters, but I do sometimes find them interesting and there's a really different feeling to them that I enjoy.

I loved the first two volumes of Rising Son, so I wait with baited breath for the next one. The subject really provokes my curiosity and is very humanly compelling. Despite being a cleanly drawn manga that's mostly driven by characters and dialog with no action to speak of, I've found it to be perhaps most exciting, compelling manga I've yet read.

I thought about ordering House of Five Leaves, which looks really interesting, and preordering Shiki, which I think would appeal to my love of ambiguous grimness, but I have mercifully burned my buying mood out, so I just wasn't up to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
I'm starting to think my desire to own Ghost Stories is cursed. My first attempt at trying to own this series happened as a part of DeepDiscount's now infamous Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale last year. They were offering the complete collection dirt cheap. Sadly, their ability to slap a claim on their website was greater than their ability to actually provide said collection and I eventually got an email from them canceling that item.

Fine. Attempt #1 - failure.

I noticed that TRSI was offering vols. 1, 3, 4 and 5 of Ghost Stories for $4 bucks each. I ordered those (as part of a larger order) and then went online to get vol. 2 from Ebay which I got at a decent price. However, the TRSI package that had vols. 1,3,4 & 5 shipped out on Jan. 16 ...

... and got lost.

Fine. Attempt #2 - failure.

So I put in a claim for a lost package with TRSI which they processed. Except that by the time this all was resolved, TRSI was no longer offering Ghost Stories vol. 4 for sale. Fine. Back online and find a vol. 4 at a relatively decent price and order it. Said item arrives today. Except. Instead of being Ghost Stories, vol. 4 the anime, it's Ghost Stories, vol. 4 some cheesy live-action documentary series thing. The fault for this sort of lies with both me and the online seller. The seller had neglected to provide an image of item, which, if that had been done, would have meant that I would not have ordered that item. However, I should have checked deeper to make sure I was ordering the right item and I didn't.

The sucky thing is that while the seller does have a return policy, I have to mail the item back to them, which is a non-refundable cost. I have a feeling that cost of mailing back even just a single DVD item will probably not make it worth my while, so I'll just have to eat the $15 loss.

Fine. Attempt #3 - failure.

Went back online this morning and found the vol. 4 I'm looking for at a decent price. Ordered it. The replacement package that has my other three Ghost Stories volumes shipped out on March 9 and is still in transit to me.

Will this Attempt #4 finally end in success or will I still be trapped in the Ghost Stories curse???
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
^ I think you are destined to never own Ghost Stories there Blood. I did not get my order either from DD but I just decided that I was not going to have it for cheap so I just passed on getting it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
Well, if my TRSI package hadn't got lost, I would have had all five GS volumes for a total of about $28 which wasn't bad. It's just these other snafus that have driven up the final cost.

But yes, you could be right and they'll find Jimmy Hoffa before I ever fully own the GS series.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
Oooh, well I hate to say this now, but I'd consider trading my complete collection of Ghost Stories...yeah, drop me a pm if you're interested!

Anyway, I just got Emma vol 10 in the mail today! 4 more to go! Sadly, the only two volumes I have in order are 7 and 8, and 8 starts the side stuff (which, on the plus side, let me just read that one right away), so I'm hoping to find 2, 4, and 6 soonish (9 seems to be a lost cause). But it seems that the anime only goes through about vol 4, so I really want 6 the most right now.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
@ classicalzawa - well, I have to see how attempt #4 works out or not. If it doesn't, I may be knocking on your door, although are you sure you'd want to be part of this cursed action???
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Meh, I haven't posted on here in a long time.

Let's see...

Most recently I got all 6 volumes of the original DVD releases of Princess Tutu. I already own the first complete collection, but I really wanted the individual volumes with all of the pretty artwork for collector's purposes. I found someone on the FandomPost forums who was selling theirs and so I got 'em for $23 with shipping.

But my Princess Tutu shopping is not complete! There's someone else who is selling the PT gashapon, and I'm going to be purchasing those.

Also, there's someone I know on some other forums who does art commissions, and she makes really beautiful watercolor paintings. So I'm planning on doing two separate commissions with her: one for a Mytho/Rue painting, and another for a Fakir/Ahiru painting. I already have the poses and background art in mind, so I'm looking forward to this.

Additionally, I plan on purchasing Paul Champagne's Princess Tutu art box, designed by SonRyu, to hold my individual Princess Tutu volumes.

In the end, I want to have a sort of shrine dedicated to Princess Tutu. I already own a fan-published light novel, "This Pendant Heart," from two prominent fans within the fandom (LunaSphere provided the story and Mangaka-chan provided the art, to make a really beautiful release). I consider it a really great, unofficial second season to the series. If you'd like to read it, which I recommend you should, here's the website: sites.google.com/site/thispendentheart/

As for other series...

I got the LE editions for Patlabor 1 & 2 movies. Dodgamn, people weren't shitting about these releases. They could be weapons of mass destruction within the wrong (right?) hands. As it is, I'm gonna stop using hammers and stick these bad puppies into my hammer space to whip out if I ever need to bash someone over the head or send 'em flying.

I also got the final volume of Twin Spica. A few tears were shed while reading this gorgeous volume. What a great wrap-up to such an amazing series. I'm glad I collected the entire thing.

I've also been randomly picking up the individual volumes of Ghost Stories and Scrapped Princess. Every time I make an order on RightStuff or Amazon, I throw in one volume from these series (and I select the volumes based upon how limited they are). As it is, all I need is volume 5 for Ghost Stories and volumes 2 & 3 for Scrapped Princess. And I have a few orders/pre-orders upcoming, so I'll probably be finishing both series off soon.

Before then was the Kuragehime and Madoka Magica limited releases. And before that was a bunch of stuff for the holidays/my birthday: Glass Mask, Orphen, Soul Eater, finishing up the Basara manga.

Now I need to decide what comes next. Yawara! is still on the plate, and since that is going OOP this year I need to pick it up soon. I need to pre-order the 2nd half of Shiki at some point. I want to pick up the 1st volume of Paranoia Agent soon (with the box). And I'm currently debating several of the NISA LE releases: Kimi ni Todoke, House of Five Leaves, Natsume, and Otome Youkai Zakuro. I'd be happy settling for regular editions for some of these, but there's always the doubt as to whether a regular edition will be released for them.

And there's also picking up the things I still want from Bandai and Media Blasters. Busy year.

And now that I've completed two manga series (Basara and Twin Spica), I need to figure out what I want to replace them with. I'm thinking Kaze Hikaru and 20 Billion Needles. I try to limit the number of series I'm collecting at one time, and currently I have 5 active ones: 20th Century Boys, Story of Saiunkoku, Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Magic Knights of Rayearth, and Cross Game. Saiunkoku and MKR should be hitting a stopping point soon, though, so picking up two more will keep it in the 5-6 range.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I just got my birthday presents (since my birthday is today), and it was pretty much anime and manga items that my husband purchased.

Anime
Pokemon Indigo League Box Set 3
Naruto Season Four Volume One DVD box set
Naruto Season Four Volume Two DVD box set
Case Closed Second Season box set
Appleseed Ex Machina [the Blu-ray pressing]

Manga
Ranma 1/2 Volume 3
Ranma 1/2 Volume 4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Just won an E-Bay auction for a brick set containing the complete titles of both Gatekeepers and Gatekeepers 21.
silencer226

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
So if I liked Ergo Proxry (and by liked I mean loved it) would Serial Experiments Lain be a good purchase for me, because I'm really interested in that anime right now and I have tracked down the singles for it and they're looking pretty scarce.

Kinda scared to purchase it with big bad Madoka LE being released more than likely next week by Rightstuf (I'm guessing because they ship preorders as soon as they get their stock). Sad Perhaps I can tell them not to ship my order until the actual release date....

Edit: Ordered the first two singles. And got Soul Eater Manga Vol. 4 today... also, stupid me I forgot I had ordered Fairy Tail Part 4, so I got that today, whole in wallet achieved, at least it was just $24.

Last edited by silencer226 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
bllanosr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Happy Birthday ljaesch!

Enjoy the Ranma mangas!

I recently bought:
Fairy Tail 4
Neon Genesis Platinum saw the thread that prices are going up for this. Haven't seen this yet so might as well
Neon Genesis Rebirth
Neon Genesis ??? not End of Eva, the $6 special at TRSI
Genshiken 1
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood 3
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
@silencer226 Go ahead and inform RightStuf of your request for temporary hold. I know they will do this. I had them hold Fate/Zero for the time I was away from my home. They put my pre-order on hold and, upon receipt of my email request to send, sent the set to me.

Also, Playoma will hold paid for items indefinitely. I bought a few Panty & Stocking figurines that were, theoretically, reduced. They were willing to hold this order for what amounted to 14 days. The order was mailed EMS early Monday over there and I received it today, Wednesday, at 1:30pm CDT. Great service, Japan! Would love to get items from AmiAmi instead but they sell out on pre-order so quickly I have to forage elsewhere for figurines.
silencer226

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
@bemused Bohemin Sweet, just did that so I hope things go well. I also found a box set of Serial Experiments Lain for $26 on Ebay, now I just have to hope its legit, the seller has a high positive rating and takes returns so I'm feeling pretty good about the order. Smile
EricDent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Got Mouse Complete Collection (older Media Blasters version) at a local Half Price Books for $10.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 862 of 1400