• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Dusk maiden of Amnesia Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
What is this, one a day now? Sheesh take a breather Sentai Laughing
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
They seem to be getting to much
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Maybe CR/Sentai share the license fees that way CR can stream them first and Sentai can release them on DVD/Blu-Ray seems like that would be a good patrnership for these titles.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:

Can somebody explain what is wrong with Sentai licencing lots of series? I don't get you people sometimes. You like to bitch when not enough series are licensed. But the moment a distributor licenses lots of anime, you go bananas.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Can somebody explain what is wrong with Sentai licencing lots of series? I don't get you people sometimes. You like to bitch when not enough series are licensed. But the moment a distributor licenses lots of anime, you go bananas.

Anime fans will always find something to whine about.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

... I am just being cautious is all no matter how much we love anime it's niche here and does not sell no where near the amount we think it does, trying to nab every series for license is good thing mind you but keep in mind are you willing to shell out 1200 dollars on twenty series that sentai has already licensed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
The Coffee God wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

... I am just being cautious is all no matter how much we love anime it's niche here and does not sell no where near the amount we think it does, trying to nab every series for license is good thing mind you but keep in mind are you willing to shell out 1200 dollars on twenty series that sentai has already licensed?

Just like any company, they have some titles I want, some I'm unsure of, and others I don't care about. They do have a lot more titles I'm interested in than say Funi or NISA, but thats going to vary from person to person.

I can understand the worry. I had some of the same fears during ADVs previous license binges and during Funi's a couple years, though we are still waiting on a lot of the shows Funimation picked up. But drawing comparisons to what happened to ADV and what Sentai is doing is difficult. The market is entirely different and costs are much lower. As long as they don't go overboard and dub and release blurays for everything, I think they should be alright.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
The Coffee God wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I am aware that most of us aren't probably buying all the series Sentai releases. Twenty series is a lot of anime for the small anime U.S. market. But like some have already mentioned, the better series sellers would subsidize the bad sellers.

The only thing I do fear about Sentai's licensing spree is the quality of shows they have picked up. If half of their lineup is "dumb" stuff like Medaka Box, Sentai is taking a big risk. But if 65% of their releases are Dusk Maiden of Amnesia or Kids on the Slope quality, Sentai should be in good shape.

Does anyone have a list of what Sentai has licensed for future releases? That could be a way to determine how much Sentai is risking releasing so many shows.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Does anyone have a list of what Sentai has licensed for future releases? That could be a way to determine how much Sentai is risking releasing so many shows.

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?10688-Unreleased-Section23-Films-Sentai-Filmworks-Licenses-Updates-Thread

Here's a list on FP of Sentai's currently unreleased/unsolicited licenses thus far (hasn't been updated today to include Dusk Maiden yet).
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Moar. Give me moar. Feed me, Sentai!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?10688-Unreleased-Section23-Films-Sentai-Filmworks-Licenses-Updates-Thread

Here's a list on FP of Sentai's currently unreleased/unsolicited licenses thus far (hasn't been updated today to include Dusk Maiden yet).

Thanks a lot!
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:
Maybe CR/Sentai share the license fees that way CR can stream them first and Sentai can release them on DVD/Blu-Ray seems like that would be a good patrnership for these titles.

If they are sublicensed by Crunchyroll from Sentai, then its quite possible:

(1) Crunchyroll lets various R1 licensors willing to sublicense to CR how much they are willing to pay for various streaming rights for the upcoming titles

(2) Sentai takes that into account when negotiating for the license

(3) Sentai signs the license with the original rights owner

(4) Crunchyroll signs the sublicense with Sentai

Crunchyroll is not locked in with any single R1 licensor, Sentai gets to take Crunchyroll's offer into account when making its own offer, the original licensor only has to work out a license with one party. Lots of strawberry and blueberry flavoured win all around.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
jmfsilenthill wrote:

Calm down dude, I was just kidding. If Sentai can afford to license a lot of stuff, more power to em. Chill out Rolling Eyes .
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
jmfsilenthill wrote:

Calm down dude, I was just kidding. If Sentai can afford to license a lot of stuff, more power to em. Chill out Rolling Eyes .

Sorry. I did not mean to pick on you specifically. I am just bothered by the general pessimism and complaining in these forums pretty much every time a show is licensed for U.S. distribution.

I want to celebrate good news. I don't mind discussing the dire state of the industry, but let's rejoice when we receive good news.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad the licence for the home video release of Dusk was picked up. I've only seen the first episode, but it has potential, though the plot format of that episode was somewhat predictable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5