• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Netflix Violation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I've searched high and low for another anime as outright bizarre as Elf Princess Rane, to no avail.

Ah, that was an awesome show.

Try out Magical Play. It is also quite weird and surprisingly funny. Unfortunately, it also gets dropped right as it appears to be developing a coherent story. Not like I'm still bitter about that or anything.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I pity those that arbitrarily limit themselves to "new" things. Do that for movies and you miss out on a LOT. It's the same principle for anime. As said, there's great, good and awful material from every era. I've branched out a lot since I started watching anime, and I'm glad I did.

Tenchi really hasn't aged well though. Oy vey.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi is a perfect example of a harem anime people liked because it was one of their first, if not THE first they watched. Its not really anything special compared to other harem anime once you watch a lot of others. I didn't watch it until a couple years ago myself... its a similar situation with Love Hina.
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Though I have to say, newer fans are far more guilty of Average Mainstream Consumer "this doesn't completely fill my TV screen, so I don't like it" Syndrome when it comes to older 4:3 anime. Portable DVD player and borrowed laptops aside, I watch everything on 4:3 screens, and I've never once thought, "This show is 16:9, I don't feel like watching it."

Since you are so goddamn stuck on this topic, let me tell you why I don't like 4:3 shows. I have a plasma TV. You know what plasmas are vulnerable to? Image burn. So that off-black color created by the pillars on the side will fudge with my TV if I don't refresh my screen. Whenever I watch my YYH BDs, I typically watch a whole disc at a time, which is either 8 or 9 episodes, or about 3-4 hours. During that time, if I don't flip the screen every so often, when I cut the disc off, BLAM, little pink bubbles flutter on the side of my TV and there's slight, pillar-sized residue left on my screen that takes a good while to disappear. Luckily it doesn't stick there forever, but it happens. I actually have a slight image of my mute sign stuck in the bottom right corner of my screen since I used to just mute my TV instead of doing what I do now - flip to the AV channel to the blue screen.

That's why I don't like 4:3. And I'm letting you know this since you're so dead set on bringing up whenever you feel like whining, and you've probably never thought of it because you're too busy whining. There are good reasons people don't like 4:3, even though I, personally, think "not liking it" is a good enough reason, or at least not enough to nag about it. Don't worry, I hate that top and bottom cropping shit too in case you thought I might be a hypocrite. And don't even get me started on that crap release Manga put out for End of Eva where it's 4:3 and cropped on top, so there's, like, three inches of black bars all around the screen.

TV stations that leave up a bold, solid logo are obnoxious, too. Along with ESPN.

Sounds like you've bought a crappy TV or technology..
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Nope. I think the late 90s was better.

We got Bebop, Trigun, Berserk, Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, Princess Mononoke, Jin-Roh...(not to mention Lain, Escaflowne, Outlaw Star, Eat Man, Utena, Perfect Blue)...all in a period of a few years.

Of course, we're still doing okay today by virtue of the sheer volume of stuff. And there are still some pretty great shows like House of Five Leaves and Madoka Magica. But yeah, the great stuff is fairly few and far between.

People can disagree with this if they like. That's fine. But this is my honest opinion. It's not just nostalgia.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
TheZeonicFront wrote:

Get rid of that guy and what do you have? Moe!

While I agree that removing the male lead is the best thing that ever happend to Bishoujo series

No no no no

I'm sick of the fact that male characters have all but dissappeared in modern day anime.

One of the reasons I think Acchi Kocchi is cool is that there's actually male characters for once.
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
TheZeonicFront wrote:

Get rid of that guy and what do you have? Moe!

While I agree that removing the male lead is the best thing that ever happend to Bishoujo series

No no no no

I'm sick of the fact that male characters have all but dissappeared in modern day anime.

One of the reasons I think Acchi Kocchi is cool is that there's actually male characters for once.

It's because Japanese otaku have become so insecure and impotent that they can't even bear to have a man in the picture, Notice that all of the men you do see are usually awful pussies to begin with.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm well aware of that; I've observed the phenomena enough to pratically write a thesis on it.
superdry

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
It's weird for me. I pretty much grew up watching anime as a kid, so I've watched my fair share of 80s and up to around mid-90s anime. Then I skipped the late 90s...didn't watch anime, but still read up on stuff here and there and then started to catch up in the early 2000s. The first anime series I watched that broke my hiatus was Love Hina - that probably set the tone of what I enjoy nowadays.

Since I've watched a lot of older shows (whether I remember them is another matter), I have no need to really go back and discover stuff I never watched. I would love to go back and rewatch stuff I watched as kid, for nostalgia sake, though, but I don't really have the time (for example, I really want to re-watch Lodoss War OVA, just haven't had the time to get in that first episode). I generally find enough shows on each new season to occupy my anime watching time.

I do feel this weird generational gap because I skipped out watching a lot of anime in the late 90s (I have caught up on a few late 90s shows that interested me). I also never had cable TV (still don't!) so I never experienced the whole Toonami/Adult swim thing. I'm pretty proud to say I've never watched any iteration of Evangelion (and don't plan on to since it doesn't interest me at all at this point) or Cowboy Bebop.

When it comes to SD, cel-animated material or HD, digital animated material - doesn't really matter to me. I do prefer character designs of now though compared to the 80s/early 90s. I like the cuter, rounder look of female characters.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Seriously Answerman, you can be so biased sometimes. Not ALL anime from today is better than the anime of the 90s-00s, just like not ALL anime from those eras are better than today's. There are good and bad. And it all depends on the viewer. I personally have not found anything interesting since 2007. All the new anime is rehashed stuff I've seen before, and it just didn't catch my interest. Not only that, but shifting interests are to blame. I don't have time to watch every single new anime today, when there are other things demanding attention.

Not to mention, newer anime is easier to get into. It's available right there at your fingertips. You can stream it, and if you like it, you can buy the DVD set in no time flat, because it's available. A lot of older anime is hard to find, and one has to hunt it down. It costs money and time, time some just don't have.

White nostalgia plays a part for some anime, there are other anime that they just don't make anymore, and they won't again. Anime like Slayers, which I do love, is a more nostalgic anime. I just watched all 75 episodes, and while I enjoyed it, it's not great. Whereas anime like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Sailor Moon,CLAMP anime, (Cardcaptor Sakura, X, Magic Knight Rayearth), Rurouni Kenshin, Escaflowne, these are all great anime, and in my humble opinion, better than today's.

Try to be a little more open-minded and let the people watch whatever anime they want. Not everything is going to be run by nostalgia, it also has to do with taste. And I hate to say this, but I've noticed anime fans tend to be more close-minded about what's old. Music, movies, books, etc. have people checking out older titles. Example: Among Fantasy novels, The Lord of the Rings came out in 1956, yet is still beloved above other fantasy works. Another example, in Mystery, Sherlock Holmes still reigns supreme, that came out in the 1800s. That is old, and it's still beloved.

My two cents.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

We got Bebop, Trigun, Berserk, Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, Princess Mononoke, Jin-Roh...(not to mention Lain, Escaflowne, Outlaw Star, Eat Man, Utena, Perfect Blue)...all in a period of a few years.

Of course, we're still doing okay today by virtue of the sheer volume of stuff. And there are still some pretty great shows like House of Five Leaves and Madoka Magica. But yeah, the great stuff is fairly few and far between.

People can disagree with this if they like. That's fine. But this is my honest opinion. It's not just nostalgia.

Yes, exactly! You summed up everything alot better than I did. We got some good stuff in the late 90s, but today, it is few and far between.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Sounds like you've bought a crappy TV or technology..

He overspent on Monster Cables when a cheapo Wal-mart no-name brand cable would've sufficed at 1/10th of the price.

Youkai Warrior wrote:
Seriously Answerman, you can be so biased sometimes.

He is bias period. Buying Anime DVD's and Manga at the local used book store? OMG, YOU ARE WHATS WRONG WITH THE FANDOM YOU CHEAP BASTARDS!! BUY NEW TO SUPPORT THE COMPANIES AND ARTISTS!!

Sometimes I wonder why our fandom hasn't imploded yet.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
The vast majority of new Anime that comes out now a days really doesn't interest me since most of it is High School life stuff. Usually there will be at least 2 shows that I'll like. Most of my favorite series came out in 90's and early 2000's(Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Now and Then, Here and There, Gundam: 8th MS Team). When I herd the Revenge of the 80's ANNCast I got really interested in some of the series they mentioned and now I'm trying to search them out.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I'm well aware of that; I've observed the phenomena enough to pratically write a thesis on it.

Yes yes, we know, Chagen and Dragon are the experts on everything thats wrong with Japanese Otaku.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Of course, you neglect to mention all the other shows that aired at the same time, and no one remembers because they, well, weren't very good.

Funny how that works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10