• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Pop-Tarts of Darkness

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
Would you still invite a man to dinner if he took a dump on the roof of your car but then bought you a new one to replace it?
Hell yeah! Shyte is shyte, whether it be bird, cow, or human. Nothing that a good blasting with the pressure washer can't shift and I get a new car in the bargin? Just don't dent the roof. Laughing
rheiders

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
rheiders wrote:
Would you still invite a man to dinner if he took a dump on the roof of your car but then bought you a new one to replace it?
Hell yeah! Shyte is shyte, whether it be bird, cow, or human. Nothing that a good blasting with the pressure washer can't shift and I get a new car in the bargin? Just don't dent the roof. Laughing

Pretty much how I feel about that metaphor- Dude bought me a car! The least I can do is invite him to dinner once!

Also, I'm not the one who posted that, it was TitanXL^^ (I don't think it's a very apt comparison, honestly.)

@TitanXL The insistence that it takes place in the US was always stupid, but again I think it was part of the contract that the Japanese producers insisted on, so I forgive it. (Again, please correct me if I'm wrong.) I honestly don't consider it to be that big of a deal. And Heiji doesn't have to sound super Canadian (and knowing Funi's history with accents, I don't think it would be a good idea to try it xD); I know plenty of Canadians who don't have a strong Canadian accent. Anyway, I think you're just a lot pickier about dubs than I am in general, so arguing about it isn't going to get us anywhere^^
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting.

"Ah, but there's the rub. Viewers 12-17? Unless you're MTV, that demographic is toxic. They don't buy anything, especially DVDs. Adult Swim, specifically, seeks out viewers aged 18-34 for that very reason."

Doesn't an 18yo have more in common with a 17yo, or even a middle schooler (in your American terms), than some middle aged 34 year old fart? Who decides on these demographics, they can't possibly be useful lol.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
This is interesting.

"Ah, but there's the rub. Viewers 12-17? Unless you're MTV, that demographic is toxic. They don't buy anything, especially DVDs. Adult Swim, specifically, seeks out viewers aged 18-34 for that very reason."

Doesn't an 18yo have more in common with a 17yo, or even a middle schooler (in your American terms), than some middle aged 34 year old fart? Who decides on these demographics, they can't possibly be useful lol.

The point being is that 18 is generally when people start getting full time jobs, and have more money spend... this makes them a more appealing customer to companies than someone who has to depend on their parents money or part time jobs.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
This is interesting.

Doesn't an 18yo have more in common with a 17yo, or even a middle schooler in American terms, than a middle aged 34 year old? Who decides on these demographics, they can't possibly be useful lol.

The key to that breaking point in the demographic ranges is personal control over finances. Most 17 year-old viewers still live in their parents homes and their parents control the money their money, to a certain extent. 18 year-old viewers are usually either 1) going to college; 2) working; 3) or both. They frequently live outside their parents' home, at least for part of the year, and usually have control of their own finances. (even if their main source of income is texting mommy and daddy to send cash.)

The key reason for the break at the higher end is, I assume, family responsibility. By the mid-30s, most people are married and having kids. Sure, for some this starts much earlier, but by the mid-30s it is a large part of what consumes your time and money, whereas the 18-34 year-old's money and time are more likely consumed by entertainment. That critical age group is where the ratio of entertainment spending to overall income is at its highest, that is why so many entertainment companies target their products squarely at that demographic.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:21 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
faintsmile1992 wrote:
This is interesting.

The point being is that 18 is generally when people start getting full time jobs, and have more money spend... this makes them a more appealing customer to companies than someone who has to depend on their parents money or part time jobs.

Reminds me of something I read on a forum that most income from anime conventions in the UK and USA is from the 18-25 age bracket, and after that it people spend less. But 25 is almost a decade younger than 34, so I still say the 18-34 demographic bracket is useless, maybe created by oldies who want to cling to their youth.

Last edited by faintsmile1992 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
The key reason for the break at the higher end is, I assume, family responsibility. By the mid-30s, most people are married and having kids. Sure, for some this starts much earlier, but by the mid-30s it is a large part of what consumes your time and money, whereas the 18-34 year-old's money and time are more likely consumed by entertainment. That critical age group is where the ratio of entertainment spending to overall income is at its highest, that is why so many entertainment companies target their products squarely at that demographic.

The problem is this is the explanation given as the reason why over 25s spend less at events, and attend them less, than the under 25s.

Why would people start spending less at anime events ten years before they spend less on anime itself? Unless someone can think of a reason why, then the 18-34 demographic needs breaking down before the information can be useful. That's just the nature of statistics.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
The 18-34 demographic represents a shift in overall spending power, not how much said demo actually spends on anime specifically. I'm not sure there's any good data on that. Con attendance is a pretty poor metric since older fans tend to avoid them because the younger fans are annoying.

You're being pedantic about something that really doesn't need it. The whole point is that marketing to the 12-17 bracket is a terrible idea; what the 18 year olds are doing doesn't matter to what was being illustrated.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
MKVarana wrote:
I asked the Funimation reps about the status of Conan after their Otakon panel today. Their response was something along the lines of "stay tuned for an upcoming announcement". (I don't remember their exact phrasing, so don't quote me.) Now I don't know enough legalese to know how much hope to put into that response, but there was no hint of "we're completely finished with this show" in their response, so take that as you will.

They also told me to tell my friends to let them know we want more Conan, so let's let them know we want more Conan!

Nice. Maybe someday it'll happen, I've bought all the anime released here so far.

belvadeer wrote:
I personally plan to own as much of the localized Conan material as I can. I'm an active reader of the manga (current English issue completely read) and I've been purchasing the movies. I think the problem with the show was indeed its mixed content genre. Kids solving "violent" murder cases that the police need to figure out themselves is kind of a strange combination, and you've got the whole overarching plot with the Syndicate hovering somewhere amidst a few of the cases.

I'm more impressed with how Aoyama comes up with these individual cases; so many of the murder mechanics are pretty complicated.

Nice. Agreed the mix clearly made it a tough fit. I've also bought all of the anime version Funi's put out so far (all the sets and movies), and as TG72 said I'm also glad we got far enough for the new Haibara/Sherry to get cast too so we atleast know who she is too.

It would be great if somehow they were able to get back to it someday. I'm a bit surprised the movies didn't keep coming out at least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4