• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Chinese Student Arrested in Japan for Selling 1,300 Fake One Piece Figures

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ianshelfs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
sharpied wrote:
Ianshelfs wrote:
...but being Chinese, he wasn't exactly raised to believe that copyright infringement is a horrible crime.

That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard. Since I'm American, can I shoot places up because everyone can own guns in the US and all the action movies that they show in the US feature heros doing exactly that? I mean, really, I don't know any better.

The man earned $60K selling bootlegs. Let's say he paid $30K for all the bootlegs he purchased - that's still a significant amount of income. I don't buy the "I did it because I needed to survive" excuse. Yes, it's expensive to live in Japan, but as long as you don't mind eating relatively simple foods and living in a small apartment, 30K can go a long way.

Your comparison is pretty unfair as yours would involve killing people and no one actually feels that way in America or any where else. Most people in China actually don't care at all about copyright and bootlegs aren't really viewed as criminal there among the vast majority of the population. Anyways he really shouldn't be punished harshly, this isn't a big deal. Hopefully he doesn't see any jail time.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Ianshelfs wrote:
Hopefully he doesn't see any jail time.

Given the state of affairs right now over the Senkaku Islands, since he was pirating a Japanese work, he'll probably be sent to a work camp.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Ianshelfs wrote:
sharpied wrote:
Ianshelfs wrote:
...but being Chinese, he wasn't exactly raised to believe that copyright infringement is a horrible crime.

That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard. Since I'm American, can I shoot places up because everyone can own guns in the US and all the action movies that they show in the US feature heros doing exactly that? I mean, really, I don't know any better.

The man earned $60K selling bootlegs. Let's say he paid $30K for all the bootlegs he purchased - that's still a significant amount of income. I don't buy the "I did it because I needed to survive" excuse. Yes, it's expensive to live in Japan, but as long as you don't mind eating relatively simple foods and living in a small apartment, 30K can go a long way.

Your comparison is pretty unfair as yours would involve killing people and no one actually feels that way in America or any where else. Most people in China actually don't care at all about copyright and bootlegs aren't really viewed as criminal there among the vast majority of the population. Anyways he really shouldn't be punished harshly, this isn't a big deal. Hopefully he doesn't see any jail time.

if you don't see jail or huge money fine, nobody is going to stop.
If can make 40k and let say you fine me 40k for getting caught. I don't really mind committing this kind of crime since the chance of getting caught in this kind of crime is very low.

Once you release me, i'm going to do it again. Who care.
Ianshelfs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:

if you don't see jail or huge money fine, nobody is going to stop.
If can make 40k and let say you fine me 40k for getting caught. I don't really mind committing this kind of crime since the chance of getting caught in this kind of crime is very low.

Once you release me, i'm going to do it again. Who care.

I wouldn't be against a huge fine. Jail time shouldn't be used for non violent offenders though. Give him a huge punitive fine, although something that he can actually pay off given time, and mandatory community service.
Digimontamerfreak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
like they say even bad publicity is good publicity this goes to show how big one piece is even to chinese hehe. seriously though you should be aware of the copy right laws in japan if your LIVING there, atleast be aware jeez, but still he could of tried to go legit first and then gone bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2