• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment to Discontinue Home Video, Manga, Novel Sales (Updated)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
_V_ wrote:

Hitler is informed that Bandai and Media Blasters are shutting down their Anime releases

Media Blasters is still alive with their titles still in print and has recently licensed a few titles

at this point they might as well pull the plug and call it a mercy killing. MB doesn't have much left to stand on even with hentai releases coming out under kitty media.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZeroFlame16

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Now if the supplies will be okay when I have money to spend in November.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I already have Haruhi Suzumiya (pbuh), Code Geass, Eureka Seven, Bebop, Kaze No Yojimbo, and a whole bunch of other shows. Here's hoping FUNimation, Sentai, or Media Blasters does some license rescues.

Why didn't they just sell the company instead?
StormSky92

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Won't Bandai still have the license for all their series for several years to come, even if they go out of print? From what I understood about licensing from the past articles on this site, there is still the original contract with a certain number of years that Bandai will be the only one that can distribute their various series, even if the company dies. So, wouldn't that mean that anyone that wants any of the series they have will have to wait several years to get them? I would not expecting any re-licensing anytime soon, if this is the case.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
StormSky92 wrote:
Won't Bandai still have the license for all their series for several years to come, even if they go out of print? From what I understood about licensing from the past articles on this site, there is still the original contract with a certain number of years that Bandai will be the only one that can distribute their various series, even if the company dies. So, wouldn't that mean that anyone that wants any of the series they have will have to wait several years to get them? I would not expecting any re-licensing anytime soon, if this is the case.

not if bandai gives those said rights back to japan to pay off any debt that might be owed on licenses. Keep in mind they did have the license for Gosick and Nichjou for bluray/dvd and sold those assets back thus canceling their r1 release here. It's still wait and see at this point in time so it's anybody's guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Awww man! I better pick up Lucky Star, and the Clannad animes while I still can as well as Cowboy beebop, there goes another huge anime company. (And this explains why they took Cowboy beebop reruns off of Adult Swim after 11 years on the air.) RIP Bandai, you had a good run, now go to Anime and Manga heaven and join your good friends ADV and Tokyo Pop. I'm sure Funimation will re-release Lucky Star, The Melachony of Haruhi Suzimiya, Cowboy Beepop, and Clannad (if they haven't already), for you they are known to do that.

Last edited by yotsubafanfan on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheGameNinja

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
Awww man! I better pick up Lucky Star, and the Clannad saga while I still can as well as Cowboy beatpop, there goes another huge anime company. RIP Bandai, maybe this wouldn't have happened if you picked up Nichijou like you said you would.

They did pick up Nichijou. The Japanese side of Bandai decided to shut down their US anime division just because it wasn't doing well enough, not because it was performing badly. I'm sure that if they had known about that decision, they wouldn't have announced licenses just prior to the announcement of their closure.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
Awww man! I better pick up Lucky Star, and the Clannad animes while I still can as well as Cowboy beebop, there goes another huge anime company. (And this explains why they took Cowboy beebop reruns off of Adult Swim after 11 years on the air.) RIP Bandai, you had a good run, now go to Anime and Manga heaven and join your good friends ADV and Tokyo Pop. I'm sure Funimation will re-release Lucky Star, The Melachony of Haruhi Suzimiya, Cowboy Beepop, and Clannad (if they haven't already), for you they are known to do that.

Uh.....

Clannad's a Sentai title.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
According to Kyle Hebert, the Vancouver-based voice actors are still making 6 figures a year. Razz

They'll milk MLP like no end of tomorrow and other awesome cartoons. Sad to see Bandai close the curtain but it would amazing to see who will snag most titles out of it or Sunrise may pick up the slack and creating a division on their own soon. They did well with Gundam Unicorn what can they do next.

Also purplewarrior13, did Kyle mention about doing dream dubs soon for US and Canada ?
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I've been getting a lot of Bandai stuff over the years including a lot ot the more obscure stuff they released so it's not going to affect me much at all-stuff like True Tears, Sola, Rocket Girls plus the more mainstream series like Mai Otome, Planetes, the various Saber Marionette series, etc.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Well so much for being "restructured".
I'm guessing that after this, Bandai Ent. will cease to exist? Also, I wonder what'll happen to all those shows they have up on streaming sites (like Gundam, Geass and Kurokami).
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

Sola and True Tears are definitely going to be purchased ASAP, because I doubt they're coming back.

Well, Sentaj already licensed Sola once, so maybe they could do it again....lol
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
yotsubafanfan wrote:

Uh.....

Clannad's a Sentai title.

And I think Sentai would be more likely to rescue Lucky Star, especially since the OVAs aren't dubbed. Plus, it seems to fit with their catalog more.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Welp, good to see Bandai JP working towords Gundam Age being seen world wide and stuff, right?

Right?

Oh, Oh right, that's right. Eng Sub on DVD only. Good going there, Japan.

There's an English dub produced in Hong Kong being aired on Cartoon Network Philippines. I presume it's going to be aired in other territories as well, if it hasn't already. Probably no DVD/Blu-ray release, though.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:
It's spark possibly the first ever Dub vs. Dub debate...*as far as I know anyway*

DBZ and Lupin III fans are all laughing at you.

and now my knowledge expands! thanks for the info! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9