• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: PETA Releases Pokémon Parody Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Getting sued by The Pokemon Company International in 3! 2! 1! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

and LOL I doubt anyone here who plays the games treats their Pokemon as "unfeeling objects". I for one take care to make sure mine are as happy as possible.

I don't see why they wouldn't sue, Nintendo pressures doujinshi artists if they stray too close to bestiality (Faithful Tepig), and PETA is of course far worse than that.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone made a funny episode of South Park about PETA that illustrates your last point. It was HILLARIOUS! Laughing
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I roll my eyes at PETA campaigns as much as the next person, but I'm surprised to see a good 8 pages where the point of the stupid (yet still well made) little parody just flying over people's heads. Geh, this is really one of those no hope for humanity/internet moments. It never was about imaginary animals people. You guys ever hear of something called a metaphor? I'm going to assume if Greenpeace or some other animal rights organization like the Humane Society put this out instead it'd still be the same spiel based on how much thought has obviously gone into these criticisms.

And sorry folks, they're protected under parody laws.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
Quote:
the abolishment of all animal testing no matter the animal and no matter the purpose (Cancer, AIDS, it doesn't matter)

the animal matters? the purpose matters? I doubt in either situation any of them asked to be tested on or gave consent to the horrors that happen to them. just because it benefits humans that's justification to use other creatures as fodder to be stepped on?

Yeah. It it. Look, if we're talking about something superfluous then I agree. We shouldn't be hurting animals just so I can have fabulous, full bodied hair. Hell, I'm even open to the argument that we should never be using certain more intelligent animals. However, if you're suggesting that we shouldn't use any animals (like not even insects or anything) in vital research with the potential to save literally millions of lives...well I just don't know what to say to that. It's simply insane.

In any case, this is all irrelevant. If you don't have a problem with PETA because of this you should still have a problem with them for the numerous other reasons I just listed. They are NOT a good organization. The fact that they waste time and effort on nonsense like this parody game is the absolute least of their issues. They are completely nuts and only continue to exist in any significant capacity thanks to the gross ignorance of those who continue to support them.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
You guys ever hear of something called a metaphor?

Of course. The trouble is, what we have here isn't an effective metaphor. It's a vaguely metaphorical shock publicity stunt that gets all its details wrong.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
lostrune wrote:
http://www.cosmeticsdesign.com/Regulation-Safety/PETA-donates-1million-to-help-find-animal-testing-alternatives

Yes, very insane that they donate millions to help animals every year, from animal testing alternatives to shelters and pounds. Let's all get mad that they poked fun at a video game instead, that's definitely much more rational Laughing Armchair activists for the future.

Yes. I'm clearly just mad that they made fun of pokemon. It has nothing to do with them having killed nearly 20,000 animals. Or the fact that roughly 90% of the animals they "rescue" end up euthanized (that's not just hopeless cases either. That includes perfectly fine, totally adoptable animals as well). Nothing to do with their numerous ties and contributions to violent domestic terrorist groups. Nothing to do with their despicable shock tactics, and deliberate attempts to target children without their parents consent. Nothing to do with their absurd, dogmatic goal of “total animal liberation" which includes not only the complete abolishment of all animal products, the abolishment of all animal testing no matter the animal and no matter the purpose (Cancer, AIDS, it doesn't matter), and even the abolishment of all pet ownership. (Yes. PETA is opposed to the basic idea that a person can own a pet, no matter how well taken care of that pet may be).

So don't you dare talk to me about "activism" you ignorant little shit. You know absolutely nothing. You want to be an animal activist? Great. Go support the SPCA or the WWF. But for the love of god, don't support PETA. They. Are. [expletive]. Insane.
+10 internets for you and +1,000 cookies
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Freakmasta wrote:
Tenchi wrote:
It's like, PETA isn't even aware that the Pokémon shrink when they enter a Pokéball.

Look at Pikachu's comfy bachelor pad inside the Pokéball! He's relaxing on the couch watching K-On!. How cool is that? (I love K-On! so I don't consider exposure to it to be "animal abuse".)

Yes, I'm fully aware that that picture is just fanart and not official Nintendo art.

Or like in Robot Chicken, it's a sick dance/drug party.

Robot Chicken: Pokeball High Life Laughing

BonusStage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Yeah. It it. Look, if we're talking about something superfluous then I agree. We shouldn't be hurting animals just so I can have fabulous, full bodied hair. Hell, I'm even open to the argument that we should never be using certain more intelligent animals. However, if you're suggesting that we shouldn't use any animals (like not even insects or anything) in vital research with the potential to save literally millions of lives...well I just don't know what to say to that. It's simply insane.

Such an easy thing to say when you're not the one in the cage. Why do I feel if you were kidnapped and forced to be in the cage you would be crying out for your rights and freedoms? Rolling Eyes
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
It has nothing to do with them having killed nearly 20,000 animals. Or the fact that roughly 90% of the animals they "rescue" end up euthanized (that's not just hopeless cases either. That includes perfectly fine, totally adoptable animals as well). Nothing to do with their numerous ties and contributions to violent domestic terrorist groups.

Whoa, really? I hope this doesn't sound overly skeptical, but where did you hear that from? That's a surprising statistic, and of course makes me wonder why it's so high, considering the goal of their organization. And they have ties to terrorist groups? What kind of ties, and which groups?

ikillchicken wrote:
So don't you dare talk to me about "activism" you ignorant little shit. You know absolutely nothing. You want to be an animal activist? Great. Go support the SPCA or the WWF. But for the love of god, don't support PETA. They. Are. [expletive]. Insane.

Shocked Huh....... it... kind of sounds like you have a personal bone to pick with PETA. Confused
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
Such an easy thing to say when you're not the one in the cage. Why do I feel if you were kidnapped and forced to be in the cage you would be crying out for your rights and freedoms? Rolling Eyes

And it's just as easy to be absolutely against animal testing when you're not the one dying from something said testing could help treat. I bet if you were dying of an illness and a treatment derived from animal testing were offered, you would take it.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I LOVE THIS TRAILER. Someone needs to make this. NINTENDO, MAKE THIS AND SHUT UP AND TAKE ALL MY MONEY!
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, whoa, whoa; people are actually taking this seriously?

Yeah, I know PETA is notorious and nuts and should be taken as seriously as the WBC, but when I first saw this, I chuckled. The fact that people are blowing this out of proportion is a bit of a surprise to me.

Then again, as much as I enjoy the games, I've always found Pokemon incredibly exploitative to begin with.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
PETA being stupid. Nothing new going on here.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Whoa, really? I hope this doesn't sound overly skeptical, but where did you hear that from? That's a surprising statistic, and of course makes me wonder why it's so high, considering the goal of their organization. And they have ties to terrorist groups? What kind of ties, and which groups?

I understand your skepticism but this is all true. I'm not sure where I originally heard about it but suffice to say this isn't exactly a secret. I believe someone already linked to an article about it. Or, just google peta kills animals or truth about peta or anything like that. You'll find dozens of sources talking about all this stuff.

Quote:
Shocked Huh....... it... kind of sounds like you have a personal bone to pick with PETA. Confused

I don't know if I'd call it a "personal" problem. They're a horrible organization that actually hurts animals (in addition to actually sucking money away from real animal aide organizations and generally delegitimizing the entire movement with their idiotic antics). It doesn't have to be personal for one to have a serious problem with what they do.

I do however have a personal problem with listening to some fool (by which I don't mean you. I mean that other guy) as he shoots his mouth off and insults me just because I'm not ignorant like him.

BonusStage wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Stop being stupid. Obviously I'm not advocating putting humans in cages. In fact, I even agreed that experimentation on more intelligent animals is debatable. We are talking about rats and even insects here. Equivocating that with a human is utterly ridiculous.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

I LOVE THIS TRAILER. Someone needs to make this. NINTENDO, MAKE THIS AND SHUT UP AND TAKE ALL MY MONEY!

I want to see it too. A gritty take on Pokemon would be awesome. Most of the show's initial fans are now adults and this would be a story that would interest them.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:47 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Getting sued by The Pokemon Company International in 3! 2! 1! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Parody Laws. It's Super Effective!!

How far does fair use protection extend?

I can't believe i'm gonna defend these guys.....

Quote:
Although a parody can be considered a derivative work under United States Copyright Law, it can be protected from claims by the copyright owner of the original work under the fair use doctrine, which is codified in 17 U.S.C. § 107. The Supreme Court of the United States stated that parody "is the use of some elements of a prior author's composition to create a new one that, at least in part, comments on that author's works". That commentary function provides some justification for use of the older work.

From a non-lawyer non-legal standpoint, so long as they don't outright hijack the entire IP of Nintendo/Creatures Inc. to run their social commentary, the courts will find in favor of PETA in this case. Since they seem to be using a small portion of the IP seen and used in Pokemon B2/W2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10