• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Japanese & Legalese

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
The same goes for the English to Japanese translation. You're going to complain about that too? Don't tell me the Japanese infamous mistranslation of "Remember, no Russian" to "Kill them, the Russian" in Modern Warfare 2 get a free pass from you. There will be mistranslation and mishap on any localization, it goes both way. There's no exception, the same applies to translating to Japanese language.

Uh, we were talking about official translations not automatically being good, not some Japan VS America translation thing. The fact you listed an official translation that flubbed something kind of just falls in line with the original statement of 'official doesn't always mean good'

Doesn't really matter, mistranslation goes both way. There will be always be mistranslation whether from Japanese to English or English to Japanese, it goes both way. Just today Black Ops 2 came out and one of the game reporter from Kotaku BTW he lives in Japan and can speak fluent Japanese just reported on a lot of mistranslation on the Japanese version of Black Ops 2. We complain about how a lot of stuff get translate from Japanese to English and people would complain about mistranslate or anything lost in translation, what about when Japan translate our stuff, and there's thing lost in translation nobody from US complain about it. Thank you, Kotaku for showing that Japan can screw up translation also.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5