• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Winter 2013 - The List

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Vividred Operation looks fun enough for me. I've seen Strike Witches and the movie and enjoyed it. Hopefully, it'll be enjoyable as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I'll give Vividred Operation one thing; the girls' battle outfits actually look pretty sleek and not ridiculous looking.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Vividred is gonna be the big hit of the season

That depends on if you're talking widespread popularity or sales. Money-wise, it probably will be quite the hit. It's even already got a built-in fanbase (pretty much anyone who liked Strike Witches, I'd assume). But on general popularity, it's going to turn just as many people away as it will attract. One of the reasons Sword Art Online became such a massive hit (despite being terrible) is that it (somehow) managed to appeal to a broad range of demographics. It was highly popular with children (esp. middle and high school kids), many of whom will be alienated by this.

lol @ your definition of "children". How would being middle school (junior high school in Japan, overlapping US high school) and high school students, preclude them from enjoying Vividred? Are you serious about Vivired alienating these "kids"? The same darn kids who are already making doujinshi these days?
rheiders

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
So far the only things that have been previewed that I may be interested in are Hakkenden and Maoyu. Of these, I think Maoyu has the most potential (I love Spice and Wolf just as much as the next person), but I also think it has the most potential of these two to be terrible (Hakkenden looks like it will probably fall somewhere between "decent" and "average"). I have the same reservations about it as have been mentioned by some other people, with the introduction to Ruler's breasts before her face being the most problematic to me. I will probably give it one episode regardless, but that kind of thing always makes me nervous. Holo may have spent the first episode naked, but the show also didn't try to draw unnecessary attention to that fact. As someone else mentioned, that show was very mature in its handling both of her nudity and of the interactions between the main characters. However, the epic music and style of the trailer have me hopeful, as do people's assurances that the story will indeed have a bit in common with Spice and Wolf. I also think that the fact that none of the characters are given actual names beyond "Hero", "Ruler", etc. insinuates that this could be more interesting than its premise alone may suggest.

My most anticipated show for this season has to be Chihayafuru 2! Very Happy
Etrien

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I'm talking about how all the Japanese anime sites and blogs seem to be most hyped for this show, and its also already being advertised all over Akiba.. Aniplex looks like they're getting the SAO level marketing budget for it. Aniplex has had the top seller 7 of the last 8 seasons (only this season they won't have the top seller, with Girls und Panzer taking top spot), so its always a safe bet to predict Aniplex shows as being the big hit.

Oh, I don't disagree that it'll be a financial hit. I'm pretty much sure it will be, with a good chance of being the highest selling. But I think that's also due to a smaller but more devoted fanbase that will spend a lot of money on it. My only point was that if you were to look at popularity instead of sales, as in the number of fans instead of amount said fans are spending, I don't expect that this will be the top title this season. And if you were to define hit as an average between those two criteria... Well, who knows.

I'm not disparaging Vividred Operation, though. I doubt it's for me, but I don't particularly have anything against it.

Unlike SAO. Which was the hit of its seasons in( both?) popularity and sales. And is also why we can't have nice things.

configspace wrote:
Etrien wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Vividred is gonna be the big hit of the season

That depends on if you're talking widespread popularity or sales. Money-wise, it probably will be quite the hit. It's even already got a built-in fanbase (pretty much anyone who liked Strike Witches, I'd assume). But on general popularity, it's going to turn just as many people away as it will attract. One of the reasons Sword Art Online became such a massive hit (despite being terrible) is that it (somehow) managed to appeal to a broad range of demographics. It was highly popular with children (esp. middle and high school kids), many of whom will be alienated by this.

lol @ your definition of "children". How would being middle school (junior high school in Japan, overlapping US high school) and high school students, preclude them from enjoying Vividred? Are you serious about Vivired alienating these "kids"? The same darn kids who are already making doujinshi these days?

Well, first, if you're going to be pedantic, it should have been "中学校 in Japan." Wink Oh, but please, do go ahead and lecture me some more on the Japanese school system.

Anyway. By children, I meant "non-adults", and maybe should have written it as such. (Though to me, high school kids - oh, excuse me, 高校生, are still just that: kids.) And perhaps I should have further added female to the descriptor, because I'd say somewhere around 60-70% of the teenagers I've met who like SAO are female. And even among the males, you have to remember something important: there's a significant social stigma attached to anime in Japan, especially the more fanservice oriented kind. This is true even by late Elementary school. There will definitely be plenty of young boys who will also no doubt love Vividred Operation - I can almost promise you I would have at that age, I was all about the sexy (and there will be a much smaller, but existent group of young girls, too), but there will also be people who reject it even if only out of simple embarrassment and not wanting to be associated with it. "Omg, that's creepy-gross Otaku stuff! I'm not a creepy-gross Otaku!" (Even in Japan, there is the notion of "otaku anime", and it is quite heavily socially discriminated against.)

SAO actually managed to be pretty stigma-free, by comparison, because it carries a more accessible fantasy-action aesthetic, not unlike Monster Hunter (which is both huge and mainstream in Japan), instead of having an "otaku anime" vibe.

Personally, I couldn't care either way. People can and should like what they want to like. Plus, even if it's not going to be as huge with the "non-adults", that doesn't matter too much; it's the adults who spend most of the money. And of course, this is all largely based on my own observations. I'm not preaching it as gospel.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
Regarding the mainly female fanbase of SAO... yeah, I don't believe that one bit. Theres very little in it to appeal to female fans, its basically an action/harem show. 70% would be saying it has as much of a female fanbase as something like Kurokos Basket, which got about 70% in a recent Jump gender poll of its series. Plus, Sword Art Onlines presence in the female section of Comiket 83 is pretty much non existent vs having one of the biggest areas in the male section.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:47 am Reply with quote
it is impossible to gauge popularity directly. however one can indirectly gauge it by examining the objective numbers from what should be biproducts of it.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:37 am Reply with quote
@Etrien

well if you do want to get pedantic, then an 18 year old in Japan is still a "non-adult". That comes at 20. On the other hand, it's also lower than 18 in some countries, so that term is relative. Regardless, if you're talking about demographic targets in media, it is disingenuous to use the term kids, since in this context, "children" more appropriately refers to the biological definition, as in Doraemon being a children's show, not SAO.

Furthermore, assuming if people were embarrassed by Vividred, that may mean some of the guys would refrain from publicly discussing it, it does not mean they would actually avoid watching it
Etrien

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:54 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
"Popularity" is not a metric. Unless you are just trying to make yourself feel better about what you like.

Really, I don't see how trying to make yourself feel better would make it any more metric.

But, even if you choose to ignore it, popularity is, indeed, a thing. If you were to give Food A and Food B to a group of 10 people, and 8 of them report they liked Food B more, it would then be fair to say Food B is more popular within that group. Representing popularity accurately through data, however, is much more difficult than with something like sales. Plus, sales are ultimately more important, since money obviously drives the industry.

I must disagree, though, with your inference that somehow popularity inherently means something is better. While there are definitely many popular shows that I think are great, there are also many unpopular shows that are great. Not to mention popular shows that are, by my tastes, terrible. I even like a handful of "creepy-gross" otaku things, Japanese social approval be damned. Just watch what you like; who cares if it's popular or not?

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Thats nice (and I presume you have some some source for this, right?)

Sure, but you quoted so much text that I have no idea what you're even asking for clarification on. Was it the part where I said I probably would have liked Vividred Operation a lot when I was younger? Because, yeah, I have to admit I can't actually provide any sources for that. But regardless, you've been so needlessly antagonistic that I don't really see much point in indulging you further. You're welcome to believe whatever you want.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
I fail to see what it has to do with anything relevant.

That's nice.

RyanSaotome wrote:
Regarding the mainly female fanbase of SAO... yeah, I don't believe that one bit.

Yeah, I agree. If someone tried to claim that the majority of SAO's fanbase was female, I probably wouldn't believe them either. Good thing I didn't make that claim. Wink What I said was: "around 60-70% of the teenagers I've met who like SAO". I didn't include the words "I've met" arbitrarily, nor was I intending to infer that the sample was a reflection of the fandom as a whole. I was only talking about the (Japanese) teenagers that I, personally, have met in real life.

Why would I have met so many more female fans when the majority of the fanbase is probably male? There's a number of possible reasons, including the fact that (at least from my personal experience) teenage female anime fans seem to be much more open about their interests than their male counterparts, and are also more likely to carry around paraphernalia of said shows. (Why that might be is a discussion unto itself.)

So, you'll get no argument from me that SAO's fanbase is predominantly male. My only point was that it also certainly still seems to attract its fair share of female fans. A minority, definitely, but personal experience seems to imply that it probably isn't necessarily rare, either. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the girls who like SAO are probably, on average, of the much younger variety. The teenage girls I was referencing in my percentage above were all between 12 and 16 years old. Most of them also play a lot of video games. So it makes sense that the girls who play games, especially RPGs, would have an attraction to something like SAO.
Etrien

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:22 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Regardless, if you're talking about demographic targets in media, it is disingenuous to use the term kids, since in this context, "children" more appropriately refers to the biological definition, as in Doraemon being a children's show, not SAO.

I wasn't talking about targeting demographics so much as appealing to them. I wouldn't call SAO a children's show, because I don't believe it was written with that intent, even if it does still appeal to children. Also, when referring to school kids collectively, I don't particularly feel "children" to be inaccurate, especially if you're including those on the younger side of the spectrum (I know at least two Elementary school kids who like SAO). But, I do agree that I probably should have been more specific.

configspace wrote:
Furthermore, assuming if people were embarrassed by Vividred, that may mean some of the guys would refrain from publicly discussing it, it does not mean they would actually avoid watching it

Some people will definitely do just that. But there are also many who will, instead, reject it outright because of its social stigma. (And not uniquely this show - the majority of shows that might otherwise seem "otaku-y".) Have you really never known people to hate or insult something not because personal dislike of the thing itself, but because other people already hate and insult it? Lots of people just want to fit in, and Japanese culture really encourages this kind of conformity. There are plenty of people who discriminate against otaku and otaku stuff just because other people already discriminate against it. So they learn to think, even in their own minds, "This stuff is gross and creepy", even when the only reason they feel that way is because it is the social norm to do so.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:17 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

...'Cause we all know that when the screen is filled with a picture of a female character's boobs while she is talking, the intended audience is supposed to really be paying attention to all the oh so textured nuances of her dialog. LOL. Rolling Eyes

These two things are completely unrelated, the fact that you are trying to link them is way more offensive.

Anime dazed Is every day "Rocket Science Day" for you?

Fencedude5609 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
find it hilarious when you pretend to be this big advocate of women's equality in order to justify fanservice. You have done this before, and I am laughing every time.

Bitching about fanservice is about the least productive form of anime "criticism" possible. There are certainly shows where the fanservice really is the only point (To Love Ru, for an example off the top of my head), but there are plenty of shows with no fanservice at all that are way, way more regressive when it comes to female characters (Gundam AGE, for another random example).

...and this convinces me that you are any less of a fake advocate in what way exactly? Totally unrelated to my point.
Chipp12

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:10 am Reply with quote
OreShura: be ready to watch it in sunglasses or otherwise your eyes will melt from its brightness!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:11 am Reply with quote
OreShura
Yet another harum run round where episodes are made and nothing gets resolved until season 2,,,,maybe. (yawn) NEXT!

PUCHIM@S
Quote:
Sorry, animenewsnetwork.com/anime-spotlight/2013/winter/puchimas could not be found.
Are you sure you typed the URL properly?
Well I clicked on it, does that count? Could be the best discription synopsis of the closing year, this one. Laughing
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
OreShura
Yet another harum run round where episodes are made and nothing gets resolved until season 2,,,,maybe. (yawn) NEXT!

PUCHIM@S
Quote:
Sorry, animenewsnetwork.com/anime-spotlight/2013/winter/puchimas could not be found.
Well I clicked on it, does that count? Could be the best discription synopsis of the closing year, this one. Laughing

Oreshura isn't a harem, maybe a love romance but when a guy has a girlfriend it negates that right off the bat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
OreShura

PUCHIM@S
Quote:

Oreshura isn't a harem, maybe a love romance but when a guy has a girlfriend it negates that right off the bat.
Sorry, but the synopsis wasn't very clear about that. Still not my cuppa regardless, so meh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11