• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Revenge of the 2000s Reloaded: Spectacular Spectacular

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
My thoughts on FMA and the Iraq War is this. Most of the similarities between them either predate the actual Iraq War because it was in the manga (the Ishvalans dark skin, the desert landscape) or are actually only found in the manga (in the first anime you never really see any suicide bombers while you see one in the manga, and the Amestrian army suffers large amounts of casualties by guerilla tactics in the manga whereas the Ishvalans are never really shown as fighting back in the first anime). The changes they made to the Ishvalan war largely have nothing to do with the Iraq War such as spoiler[special forces slaughtering everyone in a temple, and the use of Philosophers stone on a large level].

The series I equate more with the Iraq War is Gundam Seed Destiny were Logos spoiler[allows a terrorist attack on the Earth so they can use it to blame the Plants and invade them]. Also the main mechas are named after the War on Terror (which was originally called Infinite Justice but renamed Enduring Freedom).

Aikawa told me himself in an interview that he purposefully wrote most of the Ishvalan stuff to comment on the Iraq war.

He had very strong feelings on the matter and wanted the show to reflect his take on it. This was in an interview I did with him for Anime Insider back when the show was new - Aniplex told us to take it all out, so those comments never saw print. I wish I still had the original text, but that's what he said, and the show itself is pretty obvious about it.

penguintruth wrote:
Wolf's Rain was beautiful garbage. Gorgeous production values, but almost no likable characters. The wolf characters are a bunch of flat stereotypes with no discernable personalities of their own. The human characters were much more interesting, but got the short stick because they weren't the wolves and it's clear the writer wanted us to care more about those cardboard cut-outs. And actually, outside of a few choice tunes, it's one of Yoko Kanno's weaker soundtracks. And four clip episodes is ridiculous. If you have four clip episodes in your show, it's not a good show. Period. And it just f***ing drags and drones on and on, so needlessly.

Drinking game: take a shot every time Hope says "uh" or "um". Alcohol poisoning in no time!

I find it amusing that you think it's OK to behave like this and yet still hint at the fact that you think I should hire you, as though working with you would seem remotely pleasant or reasonable to me.

You don't need to be like this. It's a choice, you know.

lossthief wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
And four clip episodes is ridiculous. If you have four clip episodes in your show, it's not a good show.

I'm going off of info from TVTropes here, so it's entirely possible that it's incorrect, but weren't those clipshows the result of issues caused by the SARS outbreak during that time? I find it hard to hold something like that against the show, especially since they eventually released a series of OVAs to make up for it.

Yes, those episodes were a result of the SARS outbreak. They're on their own DVD, which you can just skip.

He doesn't like the show so he makes up this stupid "rule" that you absolutely cannot ignore or dismiss them for any reason and thus the show is objectively awful or some stupid nonsense like that.

Last edited by Zac on Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
And four clip episodes is ridiculous. If you have four clip episodes in your show, it's not a good show.

I'm going off of info from TVTropes here, so it's entirely possible that it's incorrect, but weren't those clipshows the result of issues caused by the SARS outbreak during that time? I find it hard to hold something like that against the show, especially since they eventually released a series of OVAs to make up for it.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Aikawa told me himself in an interview that he purposefully wrote most of the Ishvalan stuff to comment on the Iraq war.

He had very strong feelings on the matter and wanted the show to reflect his take on it. This was in an interview I did with him for Anime Insider back when the show was new - Aniplex told us to take it all out, so those comments never saw print. I wish I still had the original text, but that's what he said, and the show itself is pretty obvious about it.

Well I cant speak for what Aikawa was thinking about. Its certainly possible that what we were seeing was supposed to represent what he thought about America. Its just not as clear as it was in the manga or in Gundam Seed.

With the manga Arakawa did stuff like have the Executive Order for the extermination of the Ishvalan be "Executive Order 3066 which was quite obviously a reference to "Executive Order 9066" which was the internment of the Japanese during World War II and have Dr. Knox being forced to experiment on Ishvalans which was a reference to Unit 731 which experimented on the Chinese.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Fullmetal Alchemist? Adult anime? Erm, it's a show for kids... kind of a silly thing to call it for adults.

I'm not sure about that. While what's appropriate for a kid is dependent both upon the adult making the decision and the maturity of the kid in question, I can't imagine showing the stuff in FMA to anybody younger than 10, especially with the rather brutal extermination and human mutilation.

Quote:
I must admit this is the first time I heard of a proper anime adaption being a bad thing; that's usually what the majority wants and hates when an anime spits all over the source material.

Well that goes into what a "Proper" adaptation really is. While Brotherhood is certainly a faithful adaptation of the manga in terms of portraying the same events, I'm of the opinion that it's kind of soulless. More concerned with following the manga storyline to the letter than telling a cohesive story within the new medium. I suppose it ultimately comes down to what you want out of an anime adaptation; precisely following the source material, or adapting the source material and changing some things while preserving the spirit of what came before.

Quote:
Especially in FMA's case where Brotherhood seems to be unanimously considered better since the manga was so huge and people wanted a proper adaption.

I'll admit I don't spend a lot of time in any FMA forums are chatrooms, but in my experience it seems a rather even split between which one fans think is better. I've met plently of people who love the 03 anime, but think Brotherhood was just okay, or even bad. The reverse is just as true.

Quote:
To me it sounds like they probably just has a lot of nostalgia for it since they saw it as a kid, especially since they mentioned it was their 'first'. Hard to beat something with that much sentimental value to someone.

While Hope did say she first saw the show when she was younger, I believe Zac was older when the show first came out. I personally saw FMA and Brotherhood back-to-back about a year ago, and I honestly preferred FMA.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I find it amusing that you think it's OK to behave like this and yet still hint at the fact that you think I should hire you, as though working with you would seem remotely pleasant or reasonable to me.

You don't need to be like this. It's a choice, you know.

What are you even going on about? The drinking game comment? I think you're overreacting a little. There are quirks in everyone's speech patterns on the ANNCast.

And it doesn't matter, those four clip episodes for Wolf's Rain are still part of the show. It's not a 100+ episode show, it doesn't need clip episodes, certainly not four for any reason, period. FMA went 51 episodes without a single clip episode. Zeta Gundam. Hell, even DBZ didn't have clip episodes and that was 291 episodes! SARS outbreak? Then don't do any episode! Doing no episode is better than a clip episode.

And I think the Ishbalans are supposed to be based on the Ainu people of Japan, but it's clear Aikawa and Mizushima were indeed doing some Iraq War commentary in their presentation of it. Hiromu Arakawa on the other hand interviewed WWII vets for her lavish chapters on the Ishbal conflict (vol 15, my favorite volume of FMA). But I always felt like it was more like 'Nam, but in a city rather than the jungle.

I don't know why it took so long for the Amestrian forces to level Ishbal. It didn't even seem like that big a place.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Re: FMA

I was highly unenthused by the first series, dropping it shortly after the halfway point (later learning that that was when it diverged from the manga). On the other hand I found Brotherhood to be absolutely enthralling and was one of my most anticipated watches each week for over a year.

To be honest, until I watched Brotherhood I never really got why people thought FMA was all that great, since the first season, as I mentioned, did not hold my attention at all.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

And it doesn't matter, those four clip episodes for Wolf's Rain are still part of the show. It's not a 100+ episode show, it doesn't need clip episodes, certainly not four for any reason, period. FMA went 51 episodes without a single clip episode. Zeta Gundam. Hell, even DBZ didn't have clip episodes and that was 291 episodes! SARS outbreak? Then don't do any episode! Doing no episode is better than a clip episode.

You seem to be making a really big issue out of something that can easily be skipped without missing anything.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
My favorite FMA series: The Manga (just going to get that out of the way). Smile

But my favorite anime from the 2000's

1) Mushishi
2) Princess Tutu

Honorable Mentions (which I can't rank)
Dennou Coil, Fruits Basket, Cross Game, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Honey & Clover, Natsume Yuujinchou, Azumanga Daioh, Gurren Lagann, Juuni Kokki.

And my favorite movie of this decade was definitely the Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
You seem to be making a really big issue out of something that can easily be skipped without missing anything.

That isn't the point. Of course you can skip those episodes. But you shouldn't have to skip ANY episodes for it to be a good show. No episode should be wasted.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

While I never watched Wolf's Rain, perhaps he is still channeling rage from when it aired?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I don't know why it took so long for the Amestrian forces to level Ishbal. It didn't even seem like that big a place.

In the manga the Amestrian army was having trouble because of the Ishvalan's resolve and weapons from spoiler[Aerugo] in addition to the Warrior Priests which were far better fighters than the average Amestrian soldier (the average Warrior Priest could take on 10 soldiers while Scar could take on twenty soldiers). In the first anime they probably should have significantly shortened the time considering that the Ishvalans were only shown to be armed with staffs (thats a big problem I had with the first anime were they change something so a lot of other things made no sense).

Last edited by Charred Knight on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
I'm not sure about that. While what's appropriate for a kid is dependent both upon the adult making the decision and the maturity of the kid in question, I can't imagine showing the stuff in FMA to anybody younger than 10, especially with the rather brutal extermination and human mutilation.

That's how Japanese kids shows are in Japan. It's no worse than your typical kids anime. Kids see Conan solve brutal murder mysteries every week. FMA aired in a very popular time slot on Sunday afternoons. The kind of time slot you don't air obscure otaku stuff in; that's for after midnight. Other kids shows aired in that slot previously as well. I think Magi currently has that slot. but I'm not 100% sure.

Quote:
Well that goes into what a "Proper" adaptation really is. While Brotherhood is certainly a faithful adaptation of the manga in terms of portraying the same events, I'm of the opinion that it's kind of soulless. More concerned with following the manga storyline to the letter than telling a cohesive story within the new medium. I suppose it ultimately comes down to what you want out of an anime adaptation; precisely following the source material, or adapting the source material and changing some things while preserving the spirit of what came before.

As in not going off the rails halfway though. I know a lot of Soul Eater fans would kill for a proper remake of that series, myself included. Seems like very few people enjoy it when a series goes anime-only territory halfway though. Granted, FMA and SE weren't bad, but they're just not the manga. I'm not sure how it's soulless, it faithfully shows us Arakawa's wonderful characters, world, and story. The story was plenty cohesive to me, so I really don't get those complaints about it. If you call the story incohesive, you're basically saying the original manga is incohesive because it's the same thing if it's a 'panel for panel' adaption as some people say.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
I was highly unenthused by the first series, dropping it shortly after the halfway point (later learning that that was when it diverged from the manga). On the other hand I found Brotherhood to be absolutely enthralling and was one of my most anticipated watches each weak for over a year.

To be honest, until I watched Brotherhood I never really got why people thought FMA was all that great, since the first season, as I mentioned, did not hold my attention at all.

The first series had some great ideas, like how Homunculi are created and what not, and things like Lust's development, but I felt everything else suffered; for example, Greed being much more interesting in the second series than the first, so he and Lust trade places essentially. Also, a lot of the side characters, like Mustang, seemed to take the back seat in the first series compared to the second, only doing one or two things in the final episodes to justify them still existing in the series. Where as in the manga/Brotherhood they continually contribute. Armstrong especially got shafted in the first series.

animehermit wrote:

While I don't condemn Wolfs Rain or anything, it's pretty silly to say you can just ignore the bad parts of a series in your evaluation of it. By this logic, every series is awesome because you can ignore all the flaws. "It's fine, you can skip the last 20 chapters of this manga. Just treat this chapter as the true ending. It's a great series!" That's more of a personal choice than an objective one you should expect everyone to adhere to. You have to look at a series in it's entirety to properly judge it; you don't get to pick and choose and play favorites.

Last edited by TitanXL on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:30 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
To me it sounds like they probably just has a lot of nostalgia for it since they saw it as a kid, especially since they mentioned it was their 'first'. Hard to beat something with that much sentimental value to someone.

While Hope did say she first saw the show when she was younger, I believe Zac was older when the show first came out. I personally saw FMA and Brotherhood back-to-back about a year ago, and I honestly preferred FMA.

One, I imagine most of the reviewers are in their 20s or older, which would have put them in their teens when they saw FMA. So I guess it works if you consider anyone under 18 a "kid."

Two, in case anyone just happened to miss my notes from the 2nd post on the 1st page, Zac's criteria was based upon how he felt about the series now and not based on nostalgia. All of the anime listed on his Top 10 were shows he rewatched in the last few months. Granted, if I remember correctly, he stated in the podcast that he didn't rewatch all of FMA. But, apparently, the episodes he rewatched still left enough of an impact on him to allow him to rank the series so high.

As for myself, I still haven't been able to get through the first 13 episodes of Brotherhood, and I've tried a few times. I understand the reasons why it was done the way it was done, but it still ends up being a big detriment to the series for me. FMA 2003, however, still leaves a strong emotional impact on me and is one I don't have trouble getting into. Yes, it has a few weak episodes (Hope mentions the Lupin one, which I agree with), but nothing detrimental to me. I even love the ending to the series.

Hmm... I still need to list my favorites. That's kind of hard for me to do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
the average Warrior Priest could take on 10 soldiers while Scar could take on twenty

Which is complete bullshit against people with GUNS and (essentially) MAGIC. Even in the FMA world it's a huge stretch. Some guy is not going to be able to rush 10 soldiers, all having guns. Then again, Scar is constantly evading capture from soldiers who don't even bother firing.

The Amestrian army should have knocked that all down by the afternoon of the first day. They had a guy who shoots huge flames from his hands and another who can create giant earthquakes! It's not like they were shy about civillian casualties.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

animehermit wrote:

While I don't condemn Wolfs Rain or anything, it's pretty silly to say you can just ignore the bad parts of a series in your evaluation of it. By this logic, every series is awesome because you can ignore all the flaws. "It's fine, you can skip the last 20 chapters of this manga. Just treat this chapter as the true ending. It's a great series!" That's more of a personal choice than an objective one you should expect everyone to adhere to. You have to look at a series in it's entirety to properly judge it; you don't get to pick and choose and play favorites.

The big difference here with the argument you're implying is that the bad parts of most terrible things (be it any medium) are integral parts of the story. Those recap episodes are not part of the story, they serve no purpose in the plot, so I don't hold it against the show. It's not part of the series. Honestly those episodes are only a minor annoyance in what would otherwise be a fantastic piece of fiction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 17