• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams Attack on Titan TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hpulley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
Iridescent_Fall wrote:
leokiko wrote:
So...US-only, right?

woohooo, let's go pirate this thing! Very Happy

This!!! (Except the 'Woohoo' would definitely be sarcasm : P) Every time I see Funimation pick up streaming rights for something I am disappointed. Hey Funi, I love supporting anime and creators, as well as those who make anime available in English. Why do you shun us Canadians? >.<

As for the show, I saw the first episode, and looking forward to more!

I live in Canada and it seems to be working fine for me. It takes a while for the page to load but it always does on their site.

Works well for this Canadian as well, the streaming that is. The web site is very slow overall, clicking anything takes seconds for each page to come up but once the stream started it had just one stoppage, played fine the rest of the time.

With RDG, Karneval, Date a Live, Railgun S, Devil's a Part Timer and now Titan it looks like Funimation has a decent slate this season.
Joe anime

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
One of the best episodes that premiered last week imo and glad this finally got licensed.

Now, I wonder when Jojo's turn will come..

It's not licensed,they just have the streaming rights.
dizzon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
The news article on FUNi's site only says SVOD rights but at the end of the article says more info coming soon.

Unless the coming soon info states otherwise this looks to be for elite(subscription) members only.
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Joe anime wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
One of the best episodes that premiered last week imo and glad this finally got licensed.

Actually, it pretty much is licensed. It's just that the license so far only contains the SVOD rights as far as I personally know. It's just up to them and Kodansha to add rights to that license as they see fit.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Joe anime wrote:
Stark700 wrote:

The streaming rights were probably granted in a license. Unless you reckon they just spat on their palms and shook on it.

Iridescent_Fall wrote:
Why do you shun us Canadians? >.<

They don't. They do, of course, shun Ozzies and Kiwis and pommies and ,,, well, most of the world, actually, but not Canadians, at least not deliberately.

If you really can't get a stream since they started streaming from their site for Canadian IP addresses, it's more likely to be incompetence than intentional discrimination ... if you are not a subscriber and the Funimation site incorrectly detects your IP address as from the US, it would give you the Hulu page, and the Hulu page would, of course, detect your country correctly and say no dice.

Of course, if you aren't a subscriber you can't see this one in any event, at least not right now (whether ever, well, it seems like Funimation often has a mushroom farmer approach to anime fans).
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

They don't. They do, of course, shun Ozzies and Kiwis and pommies and ,,, well, most of the world, actually, but not Canadians, at least not deliberately.

They dont "shun" them on purpose. They dont have streaming rights outside the US and Canada, they cant legally stream outside of here

Im wondering if the fact that only subscribers can see this has anything to do with MBS. I remember everyone saying how MBS wasnt planning have it streamed at all. Someone have any idea whats up with that?
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Much as I want to watch this, it is not nearly enough to get me to waste any more money on Funimation's craptastic streaming service. 2 months of that was enough for me.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
Im wondering if the fact that only subscribers can see this has anything to do with MBS. I remember everyone saying how MBS wasnt planning have it streamed at all. Someone have any idea whats up with that?

That's what my thinking is. According to Humberto from AnimeNewsDotBiz, MBS wasn't originally planning to offer it for simulcast at all. I suppose it's such a big title that they felt entitled to restrict it for paying customers only.

Anyways, it doesn't bother me much. We'll get it for free subbed eventually. Plus there's roughly a 99.999999999% chance that this will get a dubbed BD/DVD release from FUNi. Just looking at it, this is the kind of show that practically screams "DUB ME!!" Heck, it even has English text in the Japanese opening, fer goodness sakes. Laughing
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:34 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
^ Huh. Well ain't this interestin'.

Now this brings into question who will be the one to get the home video rights: FUNi or Sentai.

In which case... PLEASE let it be FUNi. I really do NOT want to run the risk of Lil' Stevie getting his hands on the dub. Mad
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:48 am Reply with quote
First no stream, now streams at more than one site? Awesome!

"Attack on Titan will be available to Crunchyroll viewers in the following territories: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, and Ireland."

Sadly not worldwide, but at least it's not just the US anymore. (And France, since a different company is streaming it there)
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
^ Huh. Well ain't this interestin'.

Now this brings into question who will be the one to get the home video rights: FUNi or Sentai.

In which case... PLEASE let it be FUNi. I really do NOT want to run the risk of Lil' Stevie getting his hands on the dub. Mad
...this looks like a show that might need a Stephen Foster dub to be truly entertaining. It might even take Greenfield to do this one.

Maybe as I see more my opinion will change but right now I'm underwhelmed by this one, and don't mind that my favorite dub studio doesn't seem likely to dub it. Hopefully Funimation will bring out one of its better directors for this one and, more importantly, remember that if there's a woman with a "more serious" tone of voice that they have options besides Colleen "Overused" Clinkenbeard (who is, strangely enough, becoming one of Funi's better directors IMO).

If Sentai gets it, which seems unlikely, we'll at least get it sometime in our natural lifetimes, a prospect that isn't guaranteed with a Funimation license.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:04 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
If Sentai gets it, which seems unlikely, we'll at least get it sometime in our natural lifetimes, a prospect that isn't guaranteed with a Funimation license.

Yes, we'll have to wait a while, but with FUNi we'll get a BD/DVD combo pack with a nice looking artbox and a perfectly competent dub, whereas Sentai will make us choose between DVD and bluray, give us lazy, cheap packaging, and more than likely take shortcuts with the dub.

Plus FUNi would translate the credits, which I am ALWAYS a fan of. I don't really understand why some people get so uppity about not having the original kanji when the vast majority of them can't even read it. Rolling Eyes

Regardless, at least we can all rest easy tonight knowing that whoever gets the home video rights, it's not going to be Aniplex of America. Laughing
Deadwing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:48 am Reply with quote
Huh. I thought the producers weren't going to allow it to be shown outside of Japan. I wonder what changed their mind. Well, whatever it was, I'm glad.
hpulley

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:11 am Reply with quote
Deadwing wrote:
Huh. I thought the producers weren't going to allow it to be shown outside of Japan. I wonder what changed their mind. Well, whatever it was, I'm glad.

This was either a misquote or a misguess or the usual "we aren't streaming it" statements they give until the deal is signed. After all, until the ink is dry, it isn't really true and if they say they have plans to stream it then it may affect their negotiations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3