• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Tales of Xillia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
So you don't play shooters and accuse reviewers of unfairly giving them good reviews because you think they are samey?

Ok, that dosen't make much sense.

Actually it makes perfect sense.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
So you don't play shooters and accuse reviewers of unfairly giving them good reviews because you think they are samey?

Ok, that dosen't make much sense.

Actually it makes perfect sense.
Yes, it makes perfect sense to criticise reviewers for their scores on games you know nothing about and don't play.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoy the argument that REAL fans wouldn't see faults in a game. Guys, have you ever considered other people might be fans of the same thing for different reasons than you? Or that maybe *gasp* not everything you like is perfect? Things have faults, and saying they have them is not a personal attack on those that like them.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Yep that's it. It's all a conspiracy as to why western games get good reviews.

I wonder, do you have an actual direct proof of this? I sure hope it's not "derp look at ad space" because well does that explain why Ni No Kuni and this bland Tales game got good reviews in the western press as well? Because Namco paid people? Usually when people pull this argument it's targeted at games they don't like and ignores when a game they like also receives good reviews. basicly it's an argument to use only when it suits them. basically, only an argument an idiot uses.

You haven't been to a single gaming site in the past 7 years have you? x_x it's kinda scary to see people who still actually don't know this even after all the millions of controversies and scandals on this stuff and insiders who have confessed to it.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Yep that's it. It's all a conspiracy as to why western games get good reviews.

I wonder, do you have an actual direct proof of this? I sure hope it's not "derp look at ad space" because well does that explain why Ni No Kuni and this bland Tales game got good reviews in the western press as well? Because Namco paid people? Usually when people pull this argument it's targeted at games they don't like and ignores when a game they like also receives good reviews. basicly it's an argument to use only when it suits them. basically, only an argument an idiot uses.

You haven't been to a single gaming site in the past 7 years have you? x_x it's kinda scary to see people who still actually don't know this even after all the millions of controversies and scandals on this stuff and insiders who have confessed to it.
I have been on plenty of gaming websites. And since I don't have a "All Hail Nippon bias", I don't take everything as "OMG western games media is terrible". I also listen to most weekly podcasts from Giantbomb to weekend confirmed and have so since the 1UP days.

So since you say there are millions upon millions. Link them.

Yes find out how much 2k games paid for Bioshock Infinite to get good reviews. Because I'm sure all the spoilercasts enamored with the ending don't genuinely like the game.

Find the articles for Last Of Us that show how much Sony paid for people to like a game they can't stop talking about.

Link the articles showing Activision at all cares for review scores that will not at all effect the sales of CoD. And I guess they aren't doing a great job since it's not like the recent CoDs have gotten more than "yeah it's good" reviews since MW2.

Yep I guess Microsoft makes sure Halo receives great scores by shelling out the dough. It didn't became a well loved franchisee because it was a good game, nope.

Mass Effect, yep reviewers need to be paid to like a series thats been said to be one of the best of the gen by many gamers.

Uncharted. I guess all the praise for it's well crafted and written narrative was bought by Sony? I guess they did'nt pay enough to quit the talk about Nathan Drake Murder Sim.

I guess Capcom needs to learn a few from the west for RE7, because it was some obvious Japanese bias with 6's review scores. Wonder what happen with Revelation though.

Rockstar is probably the more obvious in how they act with journalism, but who cares there games are great anyway. And Iit must have toned down since GTA4 since no one was worried in giving Max Payne 3 meh scores.

It's really funny, because with video games. For the most part games that are well received generally correlate with having good reception among the population. But no, I guess all those reviews for the big AAA western games are bought and no one actually likes them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Wrathful

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
snip.
So you must think Grand Theft Auto 4 is the best game ever this generation because almost every western journalist gave the game near perfect score?

And also popularity ≠ quality
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Wrathful wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
snip.
So you must think Grand Theft Auto 4 is the best game ever this generation because almost every western journalist gave the game near perfect score?

It's a pretty damn good game, even more so when it came out. One of the few early next gen games that felt like a step up from previous games. Just because you don't like it dosen't mean it's bad and the reviews were suspect. And well lets be honest, thats really why people say "oh reviews are bought", because they don't like the review.

It also got good reviews in Japan? What does that mean? Were they bought too?

Hey maybe it's just a good game. Nah couldn't be.

But no I don't think it's close to the best game ever this gen, because I don't care about reviews. I just don't think that every review is bought or whatever because I happen to disagree with them.

I think MGS4 is one of the worst games I've ever played. You know what I think about the reviews? I think Komani bought them, because clearly when people who talk about the game and write about could in no way be genuine with their views. Views that pop up in plenty of peoples heads. There's no possible way that many of reviewers happen to like the game just like millions of other people did. Nope, they must have been bought.

Quote:
And also popularity ≠ quality
I actually didn't say this and this only works if I was saying "this game is good because it's popular" which I didn't.

What I did say is plenty of well reviewed games are in fact well liked be the actual gaming public. There's maybe a few instances of certain games not getting good reviews and still being extremely liked by the general gaming population. Because when you get down to it, there's clear cut things that make a game good and bad. Do the mechanics actually work? Is the game broken? From there it gets more subjective of course, but I find it funny that there's pretty good correlation(again not causation) of a game being well reviewed(or not) and what you would say the general consensus of the game is.

Because you know, the general consensus of something can never be a good indicator of anything?
Rai The Noblesse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:21 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Don't take it personally, but this was a very biased and poor review overall.

Take out all the key points of complaint and your thesis is basically: "I hate Tales games for being Tales games, C+."

Yes, this review really felt biased!..., and of all things, it's action is suposed to be the best of the game.... BS!

The characters are among the best of ANY J-RPG of this Gen (ps3, 360 & wii), especially during the first hours.. (better than FFXIII, any DQ that came to the west, imo overall better than any other tales.)..., some dialogues were cute (Teebo!..) others unexpeting witty...

The "overworld" (and outer areas) exploring and looting/items searching is also AMONG THE BEST of ANY J-RPG during this gen (compared to older Tales, this is a HUGE improvment..., not as grand as Xenoblabe, but again better than most big name "group" J-RPGs...)

Sure, there are things that can be improved in the game (giving some side quests more importance, giving some of the side characters better sybchros ect. ect....)

But it's stil very enjoyable..(getting the impression, the reviewer couldn't handle some hard action boss moments and got frustrated over the game or something....)

This game deserves a good 8.5/10 (B+), and hell nothing like a C.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:31 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Its well known that Famitsu review scores are up for sale.

Also gaming journalism in general is hilariously corrupt, both east and west.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:48 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:

I guess if you keep saying it, it will become true right?

And it is well known about Famitsu, nobody here seems to have a problem with it though.
Rai The Noblesse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:48 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Yeah, Famitsu is defenitly corrupt (probaly not all the time.., just like some western reviewers....)

Even if Skyrim getting a perfect 40/40 (first west game ever!), was probaly NOT because it was bought..

Anyway, metacritics overall scores are like becoming more reliable then single reviewers.. (The most reliable single reviewers are imo some german reviewers, more than US, GB, Fr or Jp...)

EDIT: in this case metacritic score is off.. (how the f***k can it get a LOWER meta than eternal sonata??.. Tales of Xillia deserves imo even a better score than Ni no Kuni...)

Last edited by Rai The Noblesse on Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Jave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I have been on plenty of gaming websites. And since I don't have a "All Hail Nippon bias", I don't take everything as "OMG western games media is terrible". I also listen to most weekly podcasts from Giantbomb to weekend confirmed and have so since the 1UP days.

Ha... wasn't Giant Bomb the site that one guy who got fired from Gamespot for giving a game they were paid to give good reviews a bad review? If ya really want a sum up you can read this: http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/8209/lp3s.png

tl;dr: Journalism sites rely too much on publishers for content to piss 'em off. As Mr. Almaci put it "The only games that receive a trashing in the press are those which we don't have to fear a PR company or reader backlash from" Laughing Maybe not so much as bias as it is they don't gotta break out the kneepads for smaller Japanese companies like Namco or NIS where as they do for bigger American companies like EA and Activision. They don't fear us nerdy JRPG fanbase they fear the Call of Duty and Halo fanbase.. they're the ones with the guns after all! JK Wink
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
It was Jeff Gertsmen and the game was the first Kane and Lynch. Another popular example was Driver 3. But these aren't the million upon million examples that I was told are out there. A few negatives don't mean the entire thing is wrong and most of the time people call foul its only because they don't agree.

And I had no idea Namco was a small Japanese company.

And you use big games as a an example, but really what big game like Halo or CoD really deserved to be trashed? RE6 got pretty trashed. there's a big AAA game from a big Company. Medal of Honor Warfighter got trashed. That was EA's big game for Xmas of Last Year. If EA was in the practice of buying reviews, why not for their big game of the year?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

And it is well known about Famitsu, nobody here seems to have a problem with it though.

Nobody (who pays attention to JP games anyway) cares about Famitsu scores.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I didn't say they did. I said they have no problem with them meanwhile it's all "western=evil" and when you ask for proof since there's apprantly so much, they fail to deliver.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9