• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Books and Movies That Would Make A Good Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vandalthorne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
"(I'll let this thread exist because the old literary thread is a few months old, and rather than resurrect it, might as well just start anew.)"

Oops. I guess I should read further before just clicking on embedded links. Ah well...

I can't think of any movies that might be better as anime, except perhaps the Dune miniseries.
crazydumbek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking Artemis Fowl even though there's already a live-action movie in the works. Another possibility would be a story in the Warhammer 40,000 universe. Don't know why but I seem to have this interest of the faerie tale folk using modern/futuristic weaponry.

Oh yeah....Blade of the Immortal. Heck, Manji could be the "Immortal Samurai" guy that a previous post mentioned that would fight the Highlander.
Syker 07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:26 am Reply with quote
While I'm thinking about it, another series that would translate perfectly to anime would be the Amber series, I forget the author's name, though. It has some great concepts that could be portrayed wonderfully with animation.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Logan's Run trilogy in animated form either. The 70's flick was...alright. But it didn't do the first book justice at all. ¬_¬

Syker Seven
Septeus7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I think an anime series based on the original King Arthur story would be very cool. Just think about the character designs they could come up with. The King Authur stories can easily be made into a very cool story line with all the conspiracies and politics that are inherent in the legend. By the way, I think there have been many good anime series based in a western backdrop (Berserk, Rose of Versailles to name a few).
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:32 am Reply with quote
Syker 07 wrote:
While I'm thinking about it, another series that would translate perfectly to anime would be the Amber series, I forget the author's name, though. It has some great concepts that could be portrayed wonderfully with animation.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Logan's Run trilogy in animated form either. The 70's flick was...alright. But it didn't do the first book justice at all. ¬_¬

Roger Zelazny wrote the Amber chronicles which are divided into Corwin and Merlins story. A comic adaptation a couple visual guides as well as a great RPG already exist for this series. I love Corwin's story, but feel Merlin's story falls apart near the end.

The Logan's Run books are great. I met Nolan at Worldcon last year, while waiting for an autograph from Fredrick Pohl! spoiler[I enjoyed how Sanctuary didn't exist in the end of the movie, as opposed to the Lunar Base. Both endings work, and are so different!]
vandalthorne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:05 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Roger Zelazny wrote the Chronicles of Amber. Mr. Zelazny realized that he left too many loose ends at the end of Merlin's story and was in the process of writing more Amber stories to tie up the loose ends when he passed away in a most untimely fashion from Colo-rectal cancer.

On the topic of anime, virtually all of the late Mr. Zelazny's works are most worthy of being animated, especially in the Japanese style.
Nani?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:11 am Reply with quote
Have, any of read any of Charles De Lint's work (mostly urban fantasy, with a strong shamanistic element)? One of his works, Svaha would be particularly good. It's set in a cyberpunk future Canada which is dominated culturally/politically by the Japanese. At the same time, Native Americans, living in seperate comunities, have experinced a cultural revival. The story concentrates on the Yakuza attempting to gain control of the technilogical basis for the NA's independence.
Nuriko-chan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:25 pm Reply with quote
An anime of Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicles would be really cool Anime smile.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Syker 07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashirow
Quote:
spoiler[I enjoyed how Sanctuary didn't exist in the end of the movie, as opposed to the Lunar Base. Both endings work, and are so different!]

Really? Of course, it didn't exist at the end of the movie, but I had no idea about the (possible?) existance of the latter in the story! It's been a while since I read the trilogy, and it might have escaped my memory. Or was it in some deleted scene on the LR DVD?

Also, Heinlein has been mentioned a lot, but no specific stories. I've love to see Friday done as an anime. The Empire of Chicago!? Rolling Eyes Laughing

Syker Seven[/quote]
space clam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:58 pm Reply with quote
This thread is familiar...(*Twilight Zone*) I'll say again that Shakespeare's works(Macbeth, Julius Caesar, Romeo & Juliet) would be interesting. Maybe one done on the Revolutionary War...(American or not, it shaped the face of the earth). It could be like Cat Shit One, minus the cats....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
mihoshidragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:20 am Reply with quote
A Star Wars i know they have manga but a series would be good.Also X Men and their is Lord of the Rings anime movies but they need to re-do them more like the movie.
Kalium

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Well. I've thought about this before, and it didn't take long for my ideas to pop out. Snow Crash, Ender's Game, (Ender's Shadow might work too), and Wheel of Time.

Of course, with the way Jordan writes, each book would become a full season...

Terry Pratchett's Discworld series might be interesting in anime form, but a lot of the jokes are aimed at a British audience.

Did anyone mention Neuromancer yet?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:48 pm Reply with quote
mihoshidragon wrote:
A Star Wars i know they have manga but a series would be good.Also X Men and their is Lord of the Rings anime movies but they need to re-do them more like the movie.

There is no Lord of the Rings anime. Those were American (or Australian? Damn my memory today!) animated films.

Personally, I really wouldn't mind a LotR anime that was more literal to the books. Or maybe someone could proposition Production IG to do a film version of The Hobbit with Jackson's films' cast doing the voicework... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Anime is a natural format for the cyberpunk genre. I agree Neuromancer would make a somewhat neat anime, although I must say I believe Snow Crash would make a faster, funnier and just as complex anime. DeLint's stuff is great. All of his older stuff is being released by Subterranean Press, if anyone is interested. His Celtic styled mythos remind me of other old world spiritualism religions, like Shinto.
Thinking on it, I believe these two elements are why I really like Gasaraki, which I often refer to as Shintopunk Razz.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4