• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Shinichiro Watanabe

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan9999

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
I wonder if the anti-moe brigade will be upset their idol is resorting to fanservice now with Space Dandy's boob gags Laughing

You have a very wrong concept there. Moe is one thing, faservice is another thing, and among those there are different levels and approachs.

Fanservice has existed since forever, watch some old anime. Of course fanservice in the same level as something like High School DxD or Senran kagura or Neptunia is pure garbage.

You aint gonna see that kind here if it happens.

YamadaKun wrote:
lostrune wrote:
I wonder if the anti-moe brigade will be upset their idol is resorting to fanservice now with Space Dandy's boob gags Laughing

Fanservice isn't bad, as long as it isn't shoved down our throats like in those crappy Fairy Tail OVAs.

What I said yep. Depends the approach, I can come up with unlimited worst examples.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:58 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:

This is not only factually incorrect (as others have pointed out), it also misrepresents others arguments against moe.

Well done, two birds with one post.

Brimfyre wrote:
Watanabe is a KISS fan? That's kind of funny considering he has become known for having fantastic music with his shows.

Well, he did mention he was in High School.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
This is not only factually incorrect (as others have pointed out), it also misrepresents others arguments against moe.

The majority of misinformed arguments against moe conflates it with sexuality and correlates strongly with anti-fanservice so there is merit in his representation of that side.

YamadaKun wrote:
lostrune wrote:

Fanservice isn't bad, as long as it isn't shoved down our throats like in those crappy Fairy Tail OVAs.

The irony is that no one is forcing anything down your throats. There's already a lot of very tame fanservice in Fairy Tail, and the intention of the OVAs is to focus more on it. Therefore your argument is like picking up some food yourself, eating it, and saying "oh noes, this food that I decided to eat myself, is shoved down my throat!"

Anyways, people have already complained in previous threads about the fanservice in Space Dandy. So I expect it will continue, but they won't dock him much for it. People will say: "Ugh, he could've done without it. Oh well, the rest of the show is entertaining"
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Excellent interview. I am looking forward to Space Dandy during year!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I would have rather Kids on the Slope had used KISS (though preferably some better rock group) than that mundane jazz. Though now Watanabe has said, in effect, that Kids on the Slope is based on his experiences I wonder just how much of what we saw in that show was based on his experiences... Shocked

Quote:
But I wish Shinichiro would come back to make some more serious anime in the future. Bebop and [C]hamploo were at their best when serious!
I wish that he'd go back to these sort of shows as well, though I'm leaning toward Champloo as I enjoy continuity and nuanced characters, as well as the story structure of Champloo.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I would have rather Kids on the Slope had used KISS (though preferably some better rock group) than that mundane jazz. Though now Watanabe has said, in effect, that Kids on the Slope is based on his experiences I wonder just how much of what we saw in that show was based on his experiences... Shocked

Quote:
But I wish Shinichiro would come back to make some more serious anime in the future. Bebop and [C]hamploo were at their best when serious!
I wish that he'd go back to these sort of shows as well, though I'm leaning toward Champloo as I enjoy continuity and nuanced characters, as well as the story structure of Champloo.

Kids on the Slope was an adaption of a manga, so I don't know exactly how much of his own experiences he put into the adaptation.

I recently finished Cowboy Bebop, and while there were some good individual episodes, I prefer shows that have an overarching narrative, so I might have to look into Samurai Champloo at some point.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:14 am Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:

I recently finished Cowboy Bebop, and while there were some good individual episodes, I prefer shows that have an overarching narrative, so I might have to look into Samurai Champloo at some point.

Hoo boy...
Jave

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Yeah maybe. I don't really know. I mean I don't really have a problem with boob gags so long as there's an actual gag.

The gag is they bounce around and are nice to look at usually Wink
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad, ANN was able to interview Mr. Shinichiro Watanabe-senpi.

I do hope he able to do more original art after he done with Space Daddy, its nice change from usual love-that-moe-to-death anime most fans/companies put out these days.
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

Brimfyre wrote:
Watanabe is a KISS fan? That's kind of funny considering he has become known for having fantastic music with his shows.

Well, he did mention he was in High School.

Also, it would have been in the early 80's, before KISS sucked. They are a good "gateway band" to quality rock music.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Good interview. Wish I'd been at the Q&A. Someday before I die, I'm going to figure out how to get an answer to the question of who was responsible for the dozens of references to custom pool cue craftsmen appearing throughout Cowboy Bebop. Whose obsession was that, his or someone on his staff? Very Happy
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote
RGaspar wrote:
Sounds like he wants to make his own version of Excel Saga. Nothing wrong with that.

But I wish Shinichiro would come back to make some more serious anime in the future. Bebop and Champloo were at their best when serious!

I completely agree, though I am excited to see what he does with Space Dandy. I just would really love to see him do more stuff in general. Aside from KotS he hasn't been the head director of really anything since Champloo. It would be nice if after this we got a nice show with some slick grit and style to it, like we saw in Bebop and Champloo. You really don't see enough of it now days.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2