• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Manga Has 500,000 Copies in English

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mckg1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote
I am impressed ! Keep it up shingeki no kyoujin !
Somewhere

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:12 am Reply with quote
Regarding whether American comic tradebooks outsell manga in the US or not:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=43773
On that page are some links to lists of BookScan's top 750 sellers in the comics category, along with a lot of analysis.
MentalMachine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
MentalMachine wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
skafreak51 wrote:
Holy. Cow.

Just for reference, most average manga and American graphic novels sell around 3k to 10k lifetime, with big hits selling anywhere in the tens of thousands... but it looks like the first volume has easily sold over 100k.

3k to 10k is pretty sad. lol. In France, some manga can average 80-100k per vol.

France has a bigger overall comic market than the US and Canada, so that should be obvious. Hell, comics are bigger in Europe than the US and Japan combined. It's passed the days were US comics could do nearly 2 million per issue. 200k is considered "huge" these days.

Europe being bigger than Japan comic market! LOL! You're so wrong my man!

I'm not actually. Hell even in Finland, Disney comics can do over 1 million per issue, which is a lot, if I'm being honest. Only stuff like One Piece, AOT and a few others do that in Japan. Now think of France, Spain, Italy and others.

Last edited by MentalMachine on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
thelastgogeta wrote:
GVman wrote:
Booo!

At least Kodansha can use the money they've earned to publish better manga.

I'm quite fond of Attack on Titan, or at least the fan game with Unity (http://fenglee.com/game/aog/) and as far as the anime goes as the manga gets a little crazy but they have already done this.

Kodansha are bringing over Vinland Saga in omnibus hardcover form, the first volume is already out and on my shelf. I'm sure AoT won't last DBZ + FUNimation long as far as reprinting and new releases, so you won't even hear about the series in this sense for that much longer.

I felt like AoT took a sharp dive in quality after the first four volumes that it has yet to recover from. I hope it does; the series still has a lot of promise.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:

Regarding whether American comic tradebooks outsell manga in the US or not:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=43773
On that page are some links to lists of BookScan's top 750 sellers in the comics category, along with a lot of analysis.

How the "loss of the middle ground" lowered the boom on the boom years............
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
There were 500,000 copies of Sailor Moon Vol. 1 (Kodansha USA edition) after it had been in print for only a month.

You're off by a factor of 10, there. The original print run of 50,000 sold out in a matter of weeks, so Kodansha Comics went back for a reprint. So there are at least 100,000 copies of Sailor Moon 1 in print currently. (source)
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
Damn! That's all I have to say is damn and triple damn. That's an impressive number.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2