• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Oscar Schmoscar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kind of anything but Brave should've won

Not Ice Age: Continental Drift, surely? Wink
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I don't watch award shows. I think they're self-congratulatory wankfests. Then the movies that get the awards are obscure art house flicks you're certain the people in charge of voting never actually saw because they'd have to seek out some little hole in the wall theater in a major city, drab, overwrought Czech films about men in lobster costumes screaming about land mines or vanity projects for pseudo-artist actors who really just want to direct. Movies you never even hear of until they're given the nominations, but everybody then clamors to see them so they can pretend to be sophisticated. Hacky, manipulative melodrama WWII Holocaust special need kids stories.

But hey, whatever. Maybe I'm just not sophisticated enough. I'd like to be. I'm just not going to take a nine hour drive to see a damn movie to feel special about myself.

I like movies, but award shows? And all that red carpet nonsense with the "Who are you wearing?" crap? It turns my stomach. You want to honor the filmmakers and actors? Send them a Certificate of Merit and announce it on the entertainment portion of the news. The billions of dollars poured into this celebrity worship is sad and wasteful. They don't even give this much credit to people who cure diseases.

I will admit, however, that if a film does win an Academy Award, it does make me consider it a bit more. With Spirited Away, I already liked the movie.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Cptn_Taylor

I didn't say age wasn't a factor. Certainly age makes it harder to get people to consider anime. My point is that there is no upper age where you can say someone absolutely will not like anime. Around here at least, I've found that anime is a hard sell even for young people. And yes, on the forum here we have had people in their late 20s burn out and say they were quitting anime. It is a very individual thing.

I suppose I should point out that I've been heavily into anime for 16 years now. I started when I was 52.

Well if you want to get an adult into anime, someone that has never watched anime before I think the first thing to go are tv series. Wether old or new, tv series are not the way to introduce someone to anime, the reason of course being that tv series are to a very large extent tailored for kids/teens not adults.
Now that's not to say you can't find a tv series that has that kind of "classical litterature" appeal to it. That it can be enjoyed by kids and adults the same way that reading Tresure Island or Jules Verne's novels are enjoyed by all. But it's very rare.

Films, the entry point has to be films. It is easier to find films that appeal to an adult. It doesn't have to have violence or sex. It just has to be a well thought out interesting story.
A good film is Patlabor 2. It's a political thriller at its heart, has no robots to speak off and very talkative and interesting cast of characters. It also raises profound questions on the nature of peace and war.

Ghost in the Shell is another one worthy of a look. More technical/geeky than patlabor 2 and more action oriented. It carries with it deep questions about the nature of reality and self.

Akira while being a technical masterpiece I'm afraid the themes that are expressed in the film are too much anchored in the 80's society.
A difficult thing to watch today.

Wings of Honneamise is a must watch if you liked The Right Stuff and question the place of man in this world.

Other excellent films in the vein of Disney films are Phoenix 2772, Toward the Terra and some of the older classic TOEI films.

I'm not a big fan of Studio Ghibli films, but I'd recommend watching Porco Rosso and Princess Mononoke. The most adult themed films the studio has ever made. And to close the cycle with Kiki's delivery service, a film that while being squarly aimed at kids has that magical quality of awakening your child innerself.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote
@Cptn_Taylor

I'm going to have to disagree with you. The thing about anyone over their mid twenties is that they already have specific ideas about what they like. If you want to introduce them to anime you have to work with that. Many simply don't care for animation and can't be enticed to watch.

With the exception of Ghost in the Shell and Patlabor 2, I have not been interested in watching the sort of shows you mention. Just not my thing. I started in anime with a TV show, Ranma 1/2 and an OAV series Oh My Goddess. From there I went to Bubble Gum Crisis and Evanglion, none of which match your criteria.

The older the person the more you have to tailor the approach to the individual.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I still watch the Oscars because it's only a one time a year event, so why not watch it?

that said, I've become increasingly ambivalent about who or what wins
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Movies you never even hear of until they're given the nominations, but everybody then clamors to see them so they can pretend to be sophisticated. Hacky, manipulative melodrama WWII Holocaust special need kids stories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcVOiTxcLOY

But seriously, you sound not up-to-date on films if you think they're all like that. Sure, the Book Thief is, 100%, but not stuff like 12 Years a Slave.
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Speaking anime on Blu Ray. I got Gatchaman on Blu Ray. It's still has that some waht of film grain. For anime form 70's look not half bad on Blu Ray too. I don't mind animation with film grain. Long it make the anime or any film doesn't look like crap on Blu-ray Which it sometime happens.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I like Oscar season. I think it's fun, I like trying to predict the winners and the show is usually at least fun to joke through.

I don't know anyone who takes it seriously who isn't in the industry and hoping for a win themselves. Most people just enjoy the game/spectacle of it.

Yeah. We all know it's a multimillion-dollar circlejerk but it's fun to watch anyway and try to guess whether the awards will go to films that actually deserve them this year or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

But seriously, you sound not up-to-date on films if you think they're all like that. Sure, the Book Thief is, 100%, but not stuff like 12 Years a Slave.

How many Holocaust films have won best picture oh let me think just one Schindler's list. Yeah I can see how Holocaust movies dominate the Oscars. The only other one that did big was the Pianist in 2002 which won director and actor. And you know what both happen to be very good films.

As for the Book Thief the novel is highly regarded but its film reviews are mediocre at best.

Sorry I know this is off topic but I am really tired of people saying the Oscars are all about the Holocaust. It's simply not true.

And that being said not really sure how a Holocaust film is different from a film about slavery besides the setting. That being said 12 years of Slave has a good chance of taking best picture because its getting good reviews and making money. But it's still early.

It's also pretty easy to predict the best picture winner. 9 times out of 10 its the same film that wins at the guild awards.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Ball Z is arguably the most mainstream anime property in the US, even more than Pokemon (who's success mostly lies in it's games). It's what makes FUNimation their money. Even to this day, I STILL see the orange, blue, and green bricks on Wal-Mart and Target shelves. Few AMERICAN TV shows can even say that, much less anime. The 2007-2009 season sets are also STILL in the top of FUNimation's charts (S1 is ranked #831 in the Amazon sales charts 6 years after it's release). The vast majority of DBZ's US fans don't watch any other anime, and if they do, they might have watched Yu Yu Hakusho or Rurouni Kenshion, or MAYBE even Inuyasha or Cowboy Bebop, but not collect them on DVD or Blu-ray, depending on their demographic. When I was younger, Yu-Gi-Oh! could be mingled in there, but like the above examples, few who watched it a decade ago watch it today. My point: don't expect any traditional anime release for DBZ. The exceptions are the Dragon Boxes (limited editions) and the Rock the Dragon set (which seems to be for nostalgic hardcore fans).

It's weird though. On the internet, everyone seems to hate the orange bricks, in real life, no one seems to care. Even the Amazon reviews are mostly positive (S1 has 4.5/5 stars) for the season sets yet mixed (2.5/5) for the new Blu-ray set. The US DBZ fandom is a very confusing one.

Also, the old Level sets only had 17 episodes per-set. These will have 39.

Media Blasters: If they want to continue business, fine. However, I highly doubt they will ever become "big" ever again. They're just a company releasing obscure foreign shlock and ecchi anime.

Oscars: I still enjoy watching them, and I feel that, like it or not, they hold great prestige in Hollywood (and I feel good for some of the winners). However, I can't wait for them to get back to nominating mainstream films.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:40 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
Yeah. We all know it's a multimillion-dollar circlejerk but it's fun to watch anyway and try to guess whether the awards will go to films that actually deserve them this year or not.

There's a line from a certain Best Picture winner that can apply: "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

Unforgiven did deserve its Best Picture win, by the way. Other winners, not so much, but that's neither here nor there.
ReverseTitan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Who actually cares? Who actually takes somebody else's opinion on such a subjective sub-medium? All that matters if something is good in your view.

IMO, I think that something like Death Note/Cowboy Bebop deserved to win Best Voice Acting in the Annies, but we all know that shows like these are biased towards dubs, but that's okay, since that what I personally feel. If somebody feels that Simpsons has better voice acting than something like Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex or Code Geass, that's their opinion. People need not take the opinion of a biased award show like the Annies or the Academy Awards so seriously

Two, it's not like anime deserves to be there for the sake of being anime. Most anime, even theatrical ones suffer limited animation. So maybe that's what they're taking into consideration. The quality of the animation. There are so few drawings compared to something like Atlantis or Tarzan, so if animation is what they mean, then it's no surprise more anime has been "snubbed" or whatever you wanna call it.

Three, why do anime fans think their sub medium of animation is so special? Animation from France or even Germany is more technically sound.

Aside from that, yeah, awards don't really matter. It's just what you think of it. Art is so subjective and what floats your boat doesn't necessarily float the boat of others. That's just my philosophy.

Even in Japan, animation awards are biased to Ghibli, Pixar and Disney. Think about it.
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I like to see the Academy Award hosted by Squirrels
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote
AnimenexuS wrote:
I like to see the Academy Award hosted by Squirrels
I thought it already was?
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Good answers this time, going through it i just kept thinking that many people in the west are so dumb and ignorant
They don't wanna try out anything they don't know, They act like if something is made in hollywood it's the most godlike thing ever even though a year later almost everyone has forgotten it and so on.

Personally i don't give a dammn about 99% of all entertaiment in the west that is being made today so if i was everyone they woudn't even make a dime to begin with.
I tend to like older shows from the west more, let alone the fact that western TV today is filled with reality Programmes and reruns more then ever.

On the other side you have Asia and especially Japan which do have many awesome things, many people have never even heard about just because they don't know/aren't exposed to it/cultural differences bullshit/just watch stuff to talk about it with other pepole/find it weird

Many people in the Netherlands even still think that east Asia is only about Kong fu movies,food,tea ceremonies,kimono's and stuff like that i'm like u gotta be kidding me Rolling Eyes

And with Anime in praticular they think your watching stuff for 4 year olds and if someone get's sliced up there like wtf is this shit and it still aren't real people.
guess what in live action someone doesn't get actually sliced up either and they shoudn't even use any computer effects then cause that isn't real either !!!
and so they rather watch some movie on TV that they already have seen 100 times with commercials then try something out.

Last edited by TonyTonyChopper on Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:06 pm; edited 6 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5