• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Expert Anime Hackers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stall_19

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:38 pm Reply with quote
The worst thing I watched this year was Devil Survivor 2. There was nothing fun or interesting about that show.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Stall_19 wrote:
The worst thing I watched this year was Devil Survivor 2. There was nothing fun or interesting about that show.

You seriously don't watch many series then if that is your worst.
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Meygaera wrote:
Choosing the worst anime for the year is always difficult because normally when something is bad or uninteresting I stop watching after the first or second episode. That aside, Oreimo 2 was definitely a let-down though.

Exactly. I'll give most shows at least two episodes, but occasionally there's one that gets discarded much quicker (that's becoming more common recently ...).

So my shortlist is composed of shows that I wasn't willing to even complete an episode (there were shows that I didn't even bother to try, which disqualifies them from this vote). I think that brings it down to the following list:

Amnesia
Brothers Conflict
Chronicles of the Going Home Club
Cuticle Detective Inaba
Date A Live
Flowers of Evil
Gifū Dōdō!! Kanetsugu to Keiji
Love Lab
Makai Ōji: Devils and Realist
Meganebu!
My mental choices are completely interfering with my school romantic comedy
Photo Kano
Samurai Flamenco
Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai!
Yowamushi Pedal
Yuyushiki

Wow - I hadn't realised there were so many this year - I'm definitely getting more intolerant as I age. Looking at that list, the one I had the most visceral immediate "get this off my screen now!" reaction would have to be "Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai!".
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
People dropping Yuyushiki is literally why we can't have nice things.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
midori kou wrote:
My vote goes to Amensia as the worst series of 2013. Terrible heroine who fails at just existing and had zero character development, too many arcs that didn't make a cohesive story, and the ending was godawful and useless. The whole series made me rage until the the very end.

That's a very appropriate choice. I'm almost disappointed that I dropped the show before the epically and hilariously bad cage episode.

That was the only episode that made me laugh consistently. You missed out, mate.

vinamara wrote:
I think we can all agree here that Oreimo 2 was the worst show of the year. Nothing can possibly top that.

No, many shows were worse than Oreimo 2. Oreimo 2 wasn't even that bad.

ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Blazblue: Alter Memory

Easily my most hated anime of the year. Objectively, it's probably not the worst of the year

I rated it one of the worst, and I have no familiarity with the games.

Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyokunaritai was far from a good anime, and this became more evident the further it went on, but I have to think it's personal reaction that's driving some of its votes. It's not as bad as it is offensive or unpleasant. Well, that's what I think.

Disregarding shorts, the three TV series I thought were candidates for the worst were Brothers Conflict, BlazBlue and Infinite Stratos 2; I picked the last in this poll.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Why is The Laughing Man on this list? As I recall, while he was a skilled hacker he rarely plied his skills. The fact that he didn't really do anything himself for much of the show was, well, kinda a key point of the show.

Is he really that great a hacker when he has let other hackers run rampant with his persona (like it is the town trollop) and can't, despite wanting to, really stop them from doing so? Many deeds attributed to the laughing man weren't actually done by the laughing man per se.
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Amnesia is definitely the worst show I saw this year. Practically all of the characters were completely 1-dimentional and the lead in particular was just horribly written. Kent was the only character whom I remotely liked.
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
People dropping Yuyushiki is literally why we can't have nice things.

Maybe, but it's got to the point for me now that if it doesn't grab me in the first episode or two, I don't have the time to put into it to see if it gets better. I just spent the last week catching up on the shows that I did decide to watch this season that I hadn't had time to actually watch until I took some leave.

I remember almost nothing about Yuyushiki except that it seemed like "cute girls doing cute things" ... but nothing to make it stand out in the genre. I enjoy good shows in pretty much every genre, but my tolerance for "cute girls doing cute things" isn't particularly high (I'm a 40-year-old man) so I only tend to watch the ones that have something special.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
You know, it's a bad sign when I have to go back and look at the series released this year to remember the worse.

What I went by:
I had to have watched all episodes.
It has to have a decent premise.
It has to utterly fail to make an impression.

My worst series of the year: Blood Lad. It should have been {checks scale} average instead of the total lack of nothing it is. Were they even trying since they only made it to ten episodes by introducing new characters?

... about once an episode, well, three for the last two. And then there's the flashbacks, I mean exposition, I mean all the story you'll ever get.

"Vampire otaku runs into girl from another world, girl dies and becomes a ghost. Shenanigans occur."

Not just the first episode, not just the premise, it's the entire series.
MPythonFC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
TG72 wrote:
How about an Honorable Mention for Railgun's Uiharu?

Indeed, though she doesn't really seem to do a lot of 'hacking', just a hell of a lot of multi-tasking and data processing. I'd add Misaka in there, as she's a natural at it...

I'm also going to throw in Yuki Nagato from Suzumiya.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quote
MPythonFC wrote:
I'm also going to throw in Yuki Nagato from Suzumiya.

I totally forgot about Yuki. When she hacked the Computer Club's computers *while* they were playing their competitive game was pretty awesome, and she did it without using "tricks" as per Kyon's request. Yeah, she's probably #2 or #3 (behind Lain, because you are NOT going to outhack Lain). I can see her being at least on par with the Laughing Man.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:

Ruri Hoshino from Martian Successor Nadesico (and again in Prince of Darkness), and what about Maya Ibuki, Ritsuko Akagi, and Ritsuko's mother from Evangelion --- or does it not count as hacking if you are designing and operating the system in the first place?

None of them are hackers for the very reasons you mentioned them. Hacker is not synonymous for computer programmer/operator, even though hackers can do those things as well.

I would have added Nene Romanova from Bubble Gum Crisis to the hacker list.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
According to David Levinson, alien city ships run on System 7.5.
And, shouldn't that be CERN?
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I agree with most of our hackers especially since I've seen the majority of them in action. Character wise though, my favorites on the list would have to be Akira, and Daru.

As for worst series of the year, I gave my vote to Vividred Operation. It wasn't a terrible show, it just didn't have much of anything to it. It just wasn't very memorable. I can enjoy every series I watch to some extent, but if it doesn't stick with me, what was the point?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure worst series that I've seen this year is Diabolik Lovers although Amnesia and Infinite Stratos 2 doesn't come far off from there. As for that list, I see Akira <3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7