• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Costume Changes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:55 am Reply with quote
king 47 wrote:

TarsTarkas wrote:
The people that would buy that game, would not want to have it censored. Those that would be offended by that game, are not the ones who are going to be buying it.

So it is political correctness. They are doing their market no favors by censoring it.

No, that's very wrong. The people who buy the game don't give an F. They actually would rather not have almost naked little girls. They don't care if there exists, or ever existed, a form of the game that's different than theirs. The only people who care are creeps, weirdos, and people who are absolutely against censorship. Those people who don't want that make a very little portion of the likely consumers. None of the game sites that I've visited had any similar reaction to the Bravely Default alteration, not censorship, that the anime sites had.

I was talking mostly about Monster Monpiece, which is a Japanese rubbing game.

People that play these games don't want them censored, especially when a good 10 percent was excised out, as someone earlier said. When you censor such a game like this, you run the real risk of not making a profit, to pirated uncensored versions.

Whether they have clothes on or not, this is not a game you can safely play in public, or with minors present. Didn't say it was illegal, but safe.

As to Bravely Default, not familiar with this game, so do not know its history. If you are going to do minor censoring, then you damn well better do an excellent job in integrating it into the anime or game seamlessly. But if you feel you have to do more than that, you might as well not do it at all. Mainly, because you run an increased risk of not making a profit, no matter how much you "low ball" your sales expectations.

Bottom line, everyone will find out eventually, if you censor your material. They will remember negatively that you censor your product. You will lose sales to censoring, despite some objections to content.
If it is a mainstream title or franchise in North America, then you won't have much problem on that front. But Monster Monpiece or Bravely Default are not mainstream titles in North America.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Censored products should be for display or shown, not for sale.

We can't handle the truth in 2014 apparently, kids that play an uncensored bravely default will start fornicating suddenly out of control.

The only two games that come to mind are the Clock tower 3 molestation of underage main character and Xenosaga: Momo getting felt up. Resulting in alternate hand placement.

More fuel for Unseen 64 im afraid.

The people who truly despise censoring have learned to live with it or will undub the game and play it with original content intact. Anyone who would have gave a shit by now has imported it or has it on the emulator.

Any complainers now are but a fraction of sales that even matter ATP.

Once you've learned Japanese, most of the translations we get are technically censored as in a different manner of thought anyway.

In Arc Rise Fantasia on the WII, right off the bat the main says in plain English "God must be beating his wife" because it is raining. If you weren't cultured in that subject prior you could clearly take that the wrong way. That literal translation is great, but for a wii game they could have censored it by saying "it's a bad omen" instead.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Once you've learned Japanese, most of the translations we get are technically censored as in a different manner of thought anyway.

UGH. THIS. A long time ago, I realized English games censored or changed material to suit the Western audience. I am okay with this now, but I wasn't okay with this then, so I used it as another short excuse to learn Japanese.
And now that I've learned Japanese, I'm not supporting English releases because they're better at being closer to the Japanese than they used to be--I'm supporting them because I want others to be able to experience them in whatever form they do come out in, because no matter what, it will never be the same as the Japanese version anyway. Even if they translated it directly and you could read it smoothly, the cultural context behind the words reaches different sensibilities and causes you to think about the situation differently. And especially when it comes to censorship, Bravely Default IS a game meant to be played by nearly all ages, and it's supposed to be appropriate in public, so if the censorship prevented me from looking like a creep in public here (who the heck is going to understand that Japanese manga-illustrated chibi models aren't 10-year-olds?), then I suppose it's a job well-done. Of course, if you're playing that monster girl game, then you're doomed either way, so really, that censorship has a little less of a point...

But yeah. Here I am, playing Bravely Default and Fire Emblem: Awakening in Japanese in the corner, alone, knowing too late that no one else will understand my sorrow unless they have followed my life path here exactly as I have... |||OTL

On the positive side, at least I can look at the lolis in all their sexy underwear glory without having to worry about censors!
Now I just need to have sexual interest in lolis and I'll be all set! =D
EternalKnight001

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I only really hate censorship if it alters something absolutely crucial about a game- the Xenosaga III example is a good (if somewhat painful to recall, UGH) example. If its minor changes like costumes etc, meh, no biggie; its if it alters the essence of the game, thats something else entirely.

That being said. Well. I`m glad anime isn`t censored (especially the newly streaming stuff), or else it probably wouldn`t be possible to stream a lot of the shows that are showing on Crunchyroll and Funimation at the moment. Plus, censoring a lot of those shows would change them entirely, in a LOT of cases. Cannot see stuff like Recently My Sister is Unusual or Seitokai Yakuindomo making it over here if that were the case.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
But yeah. Here I am, playing Bravely Default and Fire Emblem: Awakening in Japanese in the corner, alone, knowing too late that no one else will understand my sorrow unless they have followed my life path here exactly as I have... |||OTL

Talking about Fire Emblem, how the heck did Nowi get through the censors if Nintendo felt the need to censor Bravely Default?

http://www.fireemblemwod.net/fe13/img/nowi.jpg

Thats significantly more sexual then anything in Bravely Default
clydeangel004

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
[quote="brand"][quote="king 47"]I don't get it why people are mad at this censorship. I actually don't care and prefer the game like this.[/quote]

Well, in an extreme example, lets go and censor out all the violence in 'A Clockwork Orange.' Alex, the main character, would have no character arc. What would be left would be without meaning.

Now, that is extreme compared to adding some clothes but censorship is one of those slippery slope issues. How much is to much? And can ruin the context of a work. Also, could argue for creator's intent but that would relies on if someone consuming the work cares about that or not.[/quote] :lol:
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:26 am Reply with quote
I'll live my life without censoring thanks. RPG fans are a bit different than the COD mindset. I doubt these alterations would bring that game down.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote
EternalKnight001 wrote:
Well. I`m glad anime isn`t censored (especially the newly streaming stuff), or else it probably wouldn`t be possible to stream a lot of the shows that are showing on Crunchyroll and Funimation at the moment. Plus, censoring a lot of those shows would change them entirely, in a LOT of cases. Cannot see stuff like Recently My Sister is Unusual or Seitokai Yakuindomo making it over here if that were the case.

Isn't that sometimes the case in which the Japanese broadcast version has some nudity and extreme gore edited out, while the Bluray is uncut? I haven't watched streaming in a while so I'm not sure how often it occurs, but I've heard of it happening before.
Brimfyre

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

Talking about Fire Emblem, how the heck did Nowi get through the censors if Nintendo felt the need to censor Bravely Default?

I'm not sure how hard it is to understand that Bravely Default is a Square Enix product, not Nintendo. Nintendo doesn't censor products from other companies. If they did Senran Kagura or Project X Zone would have gotten censored. They weren't.

Square Enix did this for their own reasons.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

Brimfyre's right. It was Square's decision--not Nintendo's.

As for Nowi, though, they actually "censored" her CHARACTER, of all things. With reasonable intent, but still. In the Japanese version, her name is "Nono," which is supposed to sound very childish. She speaks EXTREMELY childish in the Japanese version, too, both voice and speech style. From what I know about the English version, they gave her more of a mature voice than her Japanese counterpart and less childish speech. I can guess this was to prevent people from thinking of her as a kid (despite being a few hundred/thousand years old). Thus, justifying her loli-ness. =P

Of course, it makes sense, considering Westerners (including anime/game fans) tend to find the childish loli thing a bit overdone. And as evident by the FE:A localization staff in charge of the localization (Leslie Swan, Princess Peach's voice, and Jeff Miller), any sexualization of little girls is not exactly considered "funny" or "interesting" to them, so I don't blame them for wanting to tone it down a bit.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Brimfyre wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

I'm not sure how hard it is to understand that Bravely Default is a Square Enix product, not Nintendo. Nintendo doesn't censor products from other companies. If they did Senran Kagura or Project X Zone would have gotten censored. They weren't.

Incorrect.

Bravley Default for Euro and NA is published by Nintendo and Nintendo is in charge of localization.

Square has done this before with a few Dragon Quest games and Drakengard 2 which was published by Ubisoft. Likewise they have published things like Persona 4 in Euro.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Brimfyre wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

Incorrect.

Bravley Default for Euro and NA is published by Nintendo and Nintendo is in charge of localization.

Square has done this before with a few Dragon Quest games and Drakengard 2 which was published by Ubisoft. Likewise they have published things like Persona 4 in Euro.

Nintendo is publishing it, yes, but they aren't the ones behind the costume changes (Somewhat NSFW).
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
KoujiTamino wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Brimfyre wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

Incorrect.

Nintendo is publishing it, yes, but they aren't the ones behind the costume changes (Somewhat NSFW).
What am I supposed to be looking at? How does that say that it was Sqaure's choice to censor the game and not Nintendo? Because they have multiple versions of the character's outfits already drawn? Even if they didn't, not like Nintendo wouldn't request things from them in localizing the game.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
What am I supposed to be looking at? How does that say that it was Sqaure's choice to censor the game and not Nintendo? Because they have multiple versions of the character's outfits already drawn? Even if they didn't, not like Nintendo wouldn't request things from them in localizing the game.

Square is likely aware of Nintendo NA's standards, so they made them in advanced, but Nintendo only really makes a big deal about things in the later stages of development. Nintendo might be the reason why, but Square made these changes to the costumes when they first made the costumes themselves. At that point, Nintendo's PR division would not have had a chance to look at them. Square is very aware of the Western market, anyway. They tend to prepare for localizations before they're even green-lit, and this was no exception.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Man, I wanted to post about some other games with costume changes and other fire fighting titles, but I knew that it would get buried under the discussion that was sure to break out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6