• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Characters you think are overrated?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

The thing is that they usually fall under the 'Unintentionally Unsympathetic' trope, where we're supposed to feel sorry for them even though they were not-so-nice-people.

What, so you're saying if you came across a girl who acted a bit cold and stand-offish you would not feel sorry for her at ALL if you found out she was neglected by her family?
o_o harsh, man. I WOULD.
Are only outwardly nice people or people who put on a happy face entitled to sympathy and compassion?
What kind of way of thinking is that?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding Animeking's explanation, so apologies in advance. If Animeking is referring to how people tend to overlook a character's behavior because of their flaws (meaning that they feel that a character is entitled to act that way), then I can understand.

However, I definitely think it's a stretch to say that you shouldn't feel sympathetic to 'not-so-nice-people'. For example, Rue from Princess Tutu has a backstory that explains why she acts the way she does. I find her sympathetic, but I don't like her character.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
You know the thing i hate about making topics like this is people seem to forget the entire point of the OP and just criticize whatever picks the poster had. The title of the of the thread is "Characters you think are overrated" NOT "Write essays on why this character is awesome and you are wrong".

I mean it's fine to point out blatant flaws with someones logic but at least answer the dayum question. Rolling Eyes

For me personally it would be Ash from Pokemon.

Over the years his personality really hasn't changed and i find him to be rather annoying most of time. But of course he has that hard to hate sincere attitude that makes people love him i guess.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
@Touma

I will admit, I have no problems with her in the Haruhi-Chan series of shorts; likely because her ignorance of everyone else and their problems works much better for blatantly sarcastic/slapstick humor.
Raftina

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Homura Akemi, Puella Magi Madoka Magic. I despise her. She is by far my third most hated popular anime characters. She is worshipped by every yuri fangirl ever born but all she is is a giant Mary Sue whose screentime consists of bullying, bullying, and more bullying and stalking, acting like an emotionless witch, then going back to stalking.

Kiritsugu Emiya, Fate/Zero. I dislike characters that are idealists who are presented as cynics. His conversation with Saber--by proxy of Irisviel--at the end of episode 16 reveals what he really is: A childish man who has adopted a simplistic worldview in reaction to admittedly horrible experiences, not the practical minded man he pretends to be.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Kirito and Asuna from Sword Art Online. Kirito is about as interesting as a stump, has hardly any backstory to speak of (and what little backstory he does have is cliched hogwash), and is a total Gary Stu who wins every battle and gets every girl because "lol I'm awesome". Asuna on the other hand can't decide whether she wants to be a badass chick or Kirito's darling arm candy. Not to mention she gets turned completely into a stereotypical damsel in distress in the second half, complete with her getting molested by pink tentacle rape slugs and being chained up and stripped naked in an act of humiliation by the big bad.

And their so-called "romance" arc really made me want to vomit. Their whole lovey-dovey act was cheesier than a Taco Bell value menu. And don't even get me started on that annoying "daughter" of theirs. Mad

Another character I dislike is Gilgamesh from Fate/Zero. I really hate arrogant, obnoxious characters like him, especially when they're as blatantly overpowered and broken as he is. Honestly, he isn't even that good of a fighter. The only reason he wins is because his Noble Phantasms are complete and total hax.

Oh, and one more character I find terribly overrated: Vegeta.

F**K VEGETA.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what is it about Kagami that you consider to be snobbish?

Dunno...it's been a while since I've watched the series but when the girls hang out together half the time it's like she's thinking "I can't believe I'm friends with these losers".
She's awfully judgmental too....like telling Konata she's "going to be a failure as an adult". Geeze, if any one of my friends said that to me, we would not be friends anymore.

Quote:
Kirito is about as interesting as a stump, has hardly any backstory to speak of (and what little backstory he does have is cliched hogwash), and is a total Gary Stu who wins every battle and gets every girl because "lol I'm awesome".

I would like to politely point out that he does not win "every" battle and that a few people getting crushes on you in two years' time is really not that unusual...hell, it has happened to me. I suppose I'm a real life Mary-Sue then. Haaaaaaaaaah. =w=

Quote:
You know the thing i hate about making topics like this is people seem to forget the entire point of the OP and just criticize whatever picks the poster had.

It doesn't bug me when people call characters overrated but it bugs me when they don't get their facts straight. =_=
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:14 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Lol I dunno. Haruhi's appeal is somewhat hard to explain. I guess I like her leadership quality and how she's full of confidence. When she knows what she wants, she just goes for it.
If she actually knew about the danger she puts people in, that would make her a rotten person...but she doesn't so....she's kind of like a little kid looking for fantasy adventures in a boring, mundane world and I can relate to this. So many people can relate to this...so that's probably why she's so loved.

It's just that the concept has her being the only one clueless about what's going on around her, and there's nothing really as funny about somebody "lovably" bossy and irresponsible who's two steps behind the other characters.
Not until late in the series does she ever display that unpredictable "mad spark" that would make a character a true force of nature (NPI)--like when she declares the punishment will be "to run around the gym track shouting 'Green martians are chasing me!'"--as opposed to just an annoyance. And frankly, when Konata on Lucky Star did her cosplay-cafe' imitation of Haruhi, I thought they should have switched series.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:32 am Reply with quote
Uh, ok, right, something on topic: Characters I think are overrated.

Alucard from Hellsing. An overly immortal vampire vampire killer god thing ... so what's the point of the show? Is it how he's going to kill the vampire or how he'll torture them first? Or is his appeal in how he matches the size of his, uh, "ego", against Protestants, Catholics, monsters and anyone else who comes in through the door?

Vegeta? I like Vegeta, the prince of a race of people who's primarily genetic traits are "violent" and "evil". No, the one I don't get from Dragon Ball is Goku, the manchild alien of the same "eviolent" race, father of two when he feels like it who's the supposed paragon of, not good, righteousness who has no problems in letting evil go as long as he gets a good fight out of it {in the Cell story, Goku would have done the same stupid thing as Vegeta. Good thing Toriyama worked around it, huh?} Our hero, how nice.

The entire cast of A certain Magical Index and A Certain Scientific Railgun from the heroes, villains, hero-villains right on down to the type zeroes who always happen to pick a fistfight with them. It's the kind of setting I look at and think "Now, how ever did this place come to be?" The show even acknowledges how urban legends exist about the "busybodies" but people don't believe them. It's a universe of idiots!!
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:49 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Homura Akemi, Puella Magi Madoka Magic. I despise her. She is by far my third most hated popular anime characters. She is worshipped by every yuri fangirl ever born but all she is is a giant Mary Sue whose screentime consists of bullying, bullying, and more bullying and stalking, acting like an emotionless witch, then going back to stalking.

BWAHAHAHAHA NO.

I am always going to defend this one. Now, there are some people who say that Homura is an evil stalker who can't leave Madoka alone. I think that's stretching it a bit, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't understand where that was coming from.

THIS on the other hand...let me explain something.

To be a Mary Sue requires lots of things. There needs to be some degree of self-insertion and wish-fulfillment. There needs to be some sort of creator favoritism. They have to have no personality beyond what I just mentioned.

The commentator right here is pigeon-holing a trope that doesn't fit what he's trying to say. Lots of people cry "Mary Sue" to characters they don't like. This is not one of them.

This argument is most likely based on the assumption that Homura is our traditional anti-hero. She is not. Homura Akemi is a tragic, horrifically flawed character. She was never meant to be an appealing heroine. We're not supposed to fully sympathize with her either. Hell, she pretty much CAUSED the entire plot of Madoka Magica due to her own selfish love, which is portrayed by the narrative as a FLAW.

And that was the point. We're supposed to take one good, long look at Homura Akemi, and say "What a tragic story." I get why people like her. I like her because I think she's interesting to follow. She is THE modern Byronic hero to me.

Now, Yuno Gasai from The Future Diary on the other hand, I think is overrated. There was a lot of potential for her character. She could have made a great tragic villain who did what she did because she felt it needed to be done. That's what the tragic villain archetype is.

I did not get that cake. Because what did the story do to her? Why, make her a waifu of course! Look at her in that sexy bikini! Aw, she's making our useless-lump-of-coal dinner! Don't you just want to take her home!? Isn't Yuno Gasai just the perfect yandere waifu EVER!?

I don't. Much like I'm disappointed with the character of Yukiteru (who, if the story was well-written, could have had a tragic break-the-cutie arc that could have culminated in him giving in to his demons and becoming a tragic character, but see my cake comment), I am hugely disappointed with the character of Yuno Gasai. She's just kind of awful to me. But at the least the anime was stupidly fun.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:26 am Reply with quote
Makoto Isshiki from Chu2, especially come the second season. He's an irrelevant gag character, but especially on MAL people are constantly complaining he didn't take up more screen time.
Raftina wrote:
Homura Akemi[...] an emotionless witch
(Rebellion spoiler)Homura's spoiler[an extremely emotional witch], thank you very much!
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:51 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Alucard from Hellsing. An overly immortal vampire vampire killer god thing ... so what's the point of the show? Is it how he's going to kill the vampire or how he'll torture them first? Or is his appeal in how he matches the size of his, uh, "ego", against Protestants, Catholics, monsters and anyone else who comes in through the door?

Thread with caution. Those tagged as spoilers contain major spoilers to Hellsing Ultimate

You make it sound as if you have not even seen the show. I recommend watching Hellsing Ultimate. Although he pretty much does seem invincible he does state himself that immortality doesn't exist and also states that monsters like himself are always defeated by humans. He was spoiler[actually "defeated"] in Hellsing Ultimate,spoiler[ but because he wasn't defeated by a human he came back.]
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Kiritsugu Emiya, Fate/Zero. I dislike characters that are idealists who are presented as cynics. His conversation with Saber--by proxy of Irisviel--at the end of episode 16 reveals what he really is: A childish man who has adopted a simplistic worldview in reaction to admittedly horrible experiences, not the practical minded man he pretends to be.

Damn, you already beat me to him! Anyway...

Hitsugaya from Bleach-He's not a bad character, but there's really nothing to support the amount of attention he gets. He's fiercely protective of Hinamori and he's voiced by Romi Park. I'm guessing it's mostly because of his VA.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote
Oh oh, I am gonna get so much flak for this but

The casts of both Cowboy Bebop and Evangelion.

For really only the personal reason that: ALL of them are so loved widely among anime fans but none of them really captured my heart. With Bebop, I barely cared about anyone. I didn't even care when spoiler[Spike died.] Hello? I'm super sensitive! I cry for anything! It's supposed to be the end of the world for me when a main character dies! But I was just like "....well, that's depressing. Moving on." *changes channel* lol
As for Eva, I was both pissed and sad when spoiler[they killed Misato and Kaworu] but not....overly so. I don't really get why Rei and Asuka are so popular. I don't hate them or anything...just don't really get it. Yet of all the anime characters of Japan, these two surely have the most figures, gashapons, and mascots made of them more than ANY others.....

Animegomaniac wrote:
Vegeta? I like Vegeta, the prince of a race of people who's primarily genetic traits are "violent" and "evil". No, the one I don't get from Dragon Ball is Goku, the manchild alien of the same "eviolent" race, father of two when he feels like it who's the supposed paragon of, not good, righteousness who has no problems in letting evil go as long as he gets a good fight out of it {in the Cell story, Goku would have done the same stupid thing as Vegeta. Good thing Toriyama worked around it, huh?} Our hero, how nice.

Totally agree about Goku! But my fave version of Vegeta is Abridged Vegeta Laughing
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
To be a Mary Sue requires lots of things. There needs to be some degree of self-insertion and wish-fulfillment. There needs to be some sort of creator favoritism. They have to have no personality beyond what I just mentioned.

So....like Kirito from SAO, then? Razz

(Just kidding, he's a good character, but how many secret items/techniques does he HAVE??)
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Akane the Catgirl wrote:

So....like Kirito from SAO, then? Razz

(Just kidding, he's a good character, but how many secret items/techniques does he HAVE??)

...I haven't seen SAO. But I have heard complaints about Kirito being the writer's avatar and Asuna being the writer's waifu. Then again, I've also heard that the first season was just harmless wish-fulfillment escapism. (And that Fairy Dance was the point when the otaku pandering got really awful.)

But this topic isn't about SAO. I do not know much about SAO. Moving on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10