• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Orguss Mecha TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Orguss 02 is definitely a worthwhile license rescue.
Besides Macross Plus, this is one of the better sequel series in the past 25 years.
I am not so-sure about the original Orguss myself. I've only seen the episodes in the mediocre dubbed release from US Renditions way, way long ago. Maybe not the best way to watch the show to be honest... I'm not gonna bother listening to the dub IF I get the show. I have the other two Super Dimension series on domestic DVD already. (Macross is by far the best.) I no longer have that Orguss VHS tape as of 14-15 years ago. It's one of those things I got rid of pretty quickly (for store credit) when I could!
I've got the Manga DVD release and was happy I bought it when it was available. God, I remember seeing the first episode of Orguss 02 way back in 1994 at Anime Expo!

I'm not usually crazy about the announced licensed rescues -- agree with Sailor Moon coming back; it's been gone for FAR too long(!) in North America -- but a lot of the recently announced previously Viz licenses is stuff I skipped in the first place! I never did care for a lot of the non-Takahashi Viz titles or what's been airing on Cartoon Network and Nicktoons for quite a while now.
A lot of the new anime is so disposable and overpriced. I really don't get it with a lot of the license rescues of stuff that maybe didn't sell so well in the first place for good reasons...
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Now can anyone tell me if this was a precursor to Macross or was that just what some believed and it wasn't true?

No. Macross was the first of the three Super Dimension shows. When Macross ended in June of '83 Orguss filled its empty timeslot the following week.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC:
Quote:
I really don't get it with a lot of the license rescues of stuff that maybe didn't sell so well in the first place for good reasons...

Well, a lot of quality shows did poorly for other reasons than good ones. Plus, bringing them back is cheaper, since they're no longer hot items.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:
As I understood it, the swift cancellation of the TMS Anime Classics program was more to do with the questionable dealings of Titlematch, who were physically responsible for the discs, and subsequently ImaginAsian themselves.

More specifically, Titlematch went into something of a meltdown as multiple executives left the company, and ImaginAsian allegedly had issues with regard payment of employees.

That was a shame.

GATSU wrote:
GeorgeC:
Quote:
I really don't get it with a lot of the license rescues of stuff that maybe didn't sell so well in the first place for good reasons...

Well, a lot of quality shows did poorly for other reasons than good ones. Plus, bringing them back is cheaper, since they're no longer hot items.

I only wish the remaining episodes got an English dub myself but fat chance on that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3