• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Takeshi Nogami's Marine Corps Yumi Manga Posted in English

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katscradle

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:12 am Reply with quote
anastasm wrote:
Secondary target audience is English readers, esp. current and former military personnel who might get a kick out of stuff that are common across the services. Wink

I plan on promoting it to my friends and family who are in the Marine Corps, or out now once a few more chapters are up in English. Because, I find it very funny. So thanks.
anastasm

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
You've covered approximately the first day of boot camp in about six months, right? Hey, that's only 12 more years left until graduation!

Just kidding.

LOL, we're trying to go for at least 60+ tankobons like One Piece! Just kidding. Laughing

We can't wait to write about Yumi when she gets to the fleet, so we appreciate your patience. Thanks for reading!
anastasm

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:27 pm Reply with quote
katscradle wrote:
anastasm wrote:
Secondary target audience is English readers, esp. current and former military personnel who might get a kick out of stuff that are common across the services. Wink

I plan on promoting it to my friends and family who are in the Marine Corps, or out now once a few more chapters are up in English. Because, I find it very funny. So thanks.

That's great! Thank you.

Semper Fi! Very Happy
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
So far,I like what I see in "Marine Corps Yumi." She might not have a lot upstairs right now but she does have a good heart. This manga doesn't seem to treat Americans as vermin as some other manga and anime have done. And,personally,I like that. I hope this continues because I think those like anastasm should be very proud of themselves for the work they did. Very proud indeed.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Mon May 20, 2013 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Banken

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:01 am Reply with quote
anastasm wrote:
katscradle wrote:
anastasm wrote:

That's great! Thank you.

Semper Fi! Very Happy

It just now hit me that you were a lady...

I was confused why Linda decided to join the marines all of the sudden, and is Donna's motivation supposed to be vague at this point? Or are you going to get into that later? I think a few more panels before they arrived at boot camp (their meeting with recruiters could have been entertaining, and you could have made it more obvious that Yumi and Linda spent those months together and signed up with the buddy system.).

With the right treatment it could make a pretty good TV series. You should pitch it somewhere. The moe military thing is still a thing after all.
anastasm

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:30 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
So far,I like what I see in "Marine Corps Yumi." She might not have a lot upstairs right now but she does have a good heart. This manga doesn't seem to treat Americans as vermin some other manga and anime have done. And,personally,I like that. I hope this continues because I think those like anastasm should be very proud of themselves for the work they did. Very proud indeed.

Thank you for the compliments! Very Happy
anastasm

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:51 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
anastasm wrote:
katscradle wrote:
anastasm wrote:

That's great! Thank you.

Semper Fi! Very Happy

It just now hit me that you were a lady...

I was confused why Linda decided to join the marines all of the sudden, and is Donna's motivation supposed to be vague at this point? Or are you going to get into that later? I think a few more panels before they arrived at boot camp (their meeting with recruiters could have been entertaining, and you could have made it more obvious that Yumi and Linda spent those months together and signed up with the buddy system.).

With the right treatment it could make a pretty good TV series. You should pitch it somewhere. The moe military thing is still a thing after all.

There's a lot of Marine stuff out there from the male Marines' viewpoints, but it's fun to write stuff from a uniquely female Marine perspective. Very Happy

Linda's reason is pretty straightforward, but Donna's reason is a little more complicated/jaded. Each of our main characters has their motivations to join the Marines, but we'll try to cover that as much as possible when the time comes.

Also, we decided to skip over the administrative recruiting details for now and jump right into boot camp. We plan to cover stuff later, like Yumi's citizenship/immigration status, buddy referral system, poolee preparation, etc.

Hoping to get an anime/TV series like Strike Witches or JAG/NCIS. Dreaming big! Wink
anastasm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
The English version of Marine Corps Yumi has its own site now!

http://www.mcyumi.com

Enjoy! Very Happy
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I've still been reading the Japanese version.

Interpreting without any training or experience is a bitch, to be honest (at least in my experience).
anastasm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:44 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

Interpreting without any training or experience is a bitch, to be honest (at least in my experience).

Thank you!

It definitely sucks, doesn't it?

The English version will catch up to the Japanese version by the end of the year or early next year, so stay tuned. Very Happy
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:22 am Reply with quote
A website for "Marine Corps Yumi?" That's wonderful,anastasm. I'll check it out soon. Thanks for the update,ma'am.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:56 am Reply with quote
anastasm wrote:
Banken wrote:

Thank you!

The English version will catch up to the Japanese version by the end of the year or early next year, so stay tuned. Very Happy

No, once you've got a little bit of experience it's a lot of fun! Better than translating, at least...and you get paid more. And you don't wear your fingers out typing on a keyboard.
anastasm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:59 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
anastasm wrote:
Banken wrote:

Thank you!

No, once you've got a little bit of experience it's a lot of fun! Better than translating, at least...and you get paid more. And you don't wear your fingers out typing on a keyboard.

You're preaching to the choir. I've been translating and interpreting for over 20 years. Very Happy
anastasm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:00 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
A website for Marine Corps Yumi?" That's wonderful,anastasm. I'll check it out soon. Thanks for the update,ma'am.

You're welcome. Enjoy! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2