• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Sols Eater

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
[we're looking into giving blu-ray releases to things still on film]

like....."Harbor Light Story- from Fashion Lala" perhaps? *sparkles* (please?)

seriously though, I love Anime Sols alot and I'm so happy for its successes. (I brought my Creamy Mami DVD to one of my movie nights with my friends-it was a hit!)

I admit that I did originally watch Creamy Mami fansubbed about 6 years ago, but it opened me up to pretty much to all the other classic magical girl shows too.
But I'm generally the type who doesn't like to watch/read something in full if I'm already planning to get the physical copy soon so I wont feel bored towards it? (ya know that "but I just watched this..." feeling?)
So I blindly pledged towards Dear Brother in that case.

anyway, If stream pledges are a hit, is there a chance to use the model to restore shows that didn't make it, like Pastel Yumi?
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:57 pm Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
anyway, If stream pledges are a hit, is there a chance to use the model to restore shows that didn't make it, like Pastel Yumi?

I hope so. I had no real interest in owning Tobikage, but I'd definitely pledge to sub and stream the rest of the series.

Like the DVD pledge gets additional DVD's created that can be sold in regular channels, I'd hope that if we pledged to sub and stream a series, it would be possible to look into licensing it for streaming. And I'd like to see the contract clearance costs for streaming to more countries than North America available as stretch goals.
ZorinBlitz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Just use kickstarter and be amazed, your website is fail.

Last edited by ZorinBlitz on Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
ZorinBlitz wrote:
Just use kickstarter and be amazed, your website is gonna fail.

Gotta give a timeline, or the prediction doesn't count.

For instance, everyone who predicted it would fail in under a year were wrong, but at least they made an actual prediction that could be tested.
F-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
ZorinBlitz wrote:
Just use kickstarter and be amazed, your website is gonna fail.

Gotta give a timeline, or the prediction doesn't count.

For instance, everyone who predicted it would fail in under a year were wrong, but at least they made an actual prediction that could be tested.

Yeah, saying the site will fail is pointless at this stage. It's already been a success. Two full series funded and one series in process of full funding is a success. And things are only going to get better as the userbase grows.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
I will admit that I am one of those people who don't watch the streams & simply pledge, but I have always pledged for shows that I have never seen before that caught my interest. Stuff like Tobikage, Polymar, Yatterman, etc. were titles I wanted to see & even own on DVD. I can see why Sam was semi-worried about people being non-exploratory, and that's because most people just don't want to explore; they want to stick to the straight path & not veer away. I even did a post on my blog a week ago about the concept of introducing "Never Before Seen Anime" via official licensing beind a dead concept, because even Discotek is afraid explore outside of the realm of "it's at least been fansubbed already or has a existing fanbase". This extends to Anime Sols as well, unfortunately, and it's essentially a Catch-22: Fans won't explore & try unknown titles out if they aren't being made available, or aren't widely available, but companies won't take the risk if they feel the fans won't bite.

As much as I hate to say it, people like me, who love to explore & discover stuff that has never been heard of before, just don't exist in any notable number when it comes to anime fandom. Most people act like, and I hate to say this exact word, "sheep", simply consuming the newest stuff that comes out & being pleased with nothing more than that. They will never decide to search out stuff that's not immediately in front of them, because there's just so much "grass" to "eat". They don't care about the history of the medium all that much, they (very) rarely check out "older" titles (and the definition of "older" varies wildly, depending on the individual), and they generally feel so "full" with what's constantly airing that they feel they don't have the time to explore.

Personally, when Sam first announced Anime Sols I was ecstatic about the concept, because I felt like I could finally check out titles that I either never knew about or at least never got the chance to see (or simply I want to see them with actual English subtitles). To my own fault, though, I have always preferred watching something via some sort of "owned" media, either physical of a digital file, instead of streaming, so I haven't actually watched a number of the titles over at Sols. Then once the sets failed & the shows would never get fully subbed, I felt more discouraged to even start watching them. I guess if there was hope that the show would at least be fully available streamed over at Sols, like Sam brought up the possibility of crowdfunding, then I hope to finally pull through on the personal ambition I had towards Anime Sols.

Good luck with Sol's second year, Sam. I guess I could try sending an e-mail with some potential titles to stream, seeing that Sols is looking into the occasional anime outside of the partner companies. At the very least, I could keep the "already fansubbed" requests to an absolute minimum.

This is simply not fair. Anime like most other cultural products is mostly shit/mediocre and every now and then a diamond pops up.
Saying that people don't want or aren't interested in watching old shows like Hurricane Polymar, or Tekkaman etc... because they're sheeple and prefer chasing the more modern versions is preposterous.
By the way have YOU watched Hurricane Polymar an anime form 1974 (the original series not the remake 1990s OVA which was great) ? Hint : it's a funny series for a 12 year old but as something you have to watch in this era forget about it. It's as mediocre as they come. Animes from the seventies, or eighties that are important and that have stood the test of time (hence are worth watching) you can count them on the fingers of the two hands. And that's it. Everything else is easily forgettable (and so worth buying/watching only if you have the "gotta have them all" type mentality). So it's no wonder Anime Sols has difficulty selling these kinds of anime. Unless you get something culturally and historically important like Astroboy, The Rose of Versailles, Creamy Mami, Aim for the ace, Dear Brother or Conan the future boy you just ain't gonna find the modern audience for it. It's a fact.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:06 am Reply with quote
I would say the more important anime from the 80s that haven't been grabbed yet aren't part of AnimeSols' deal with any studios, like all of the Sunrise mecha yet to be licensed that fans have been now enjoyable for a while thanks to fansubs (Galient, Dragonar). I disagree that the number presented, 10, is fair, there's far more important series out there that are worth watching and can be more digestible by being rescanned in 1080p, but just may not be profitable outside of Japan. I still say Sols should look more into OVAs that Japan might be willing to give you. They're short, they've higher budgets, and they're usually more interesting than dozens of episodes all at once; not every single good OVA has been licensed yet.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:14 am Reply with quote
Cptn: Polymar's great, except for the last episode, which ends with a whimper. But it did badly, because the fans lied about supporting it. I wish it did better, but American anime fans are too stuck up to appreciate camp and self-deprecating humor.

walw: I seriously wish they'd put out the Rumic World OAVs on DVD, since that hasn't even happened in Japan.
ZorinBlitz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:41 am Reply with quote
Their site has already failed pretty bad. They struggle to pass every single goal they managed to get. Few donate and the people that do have to spend a ton of money themselves for each set to reach the goal. Meanwhile everything anime on kickstarter has been a huge success meeting their goals very fast in a matter of days. Their website is gonna get crap pledges forever, just use kickstarter because no one knows animesols exists. If you call animesols a success clearly you didn't pay attention to the pledges they were getting. So their problem is no one knows they exist and barley anyone pledges. Kickstarter is huge, I guess I'm stupid for saying they need to use it. Animesols is doing so well like you guys say. Their average donation was $120 like he said in the podcast, so you guys can keep spending $120 for each set to meet their goal. Enjoy your $400 Creamy Mami dvds.

Last edited by ZorinBlitz on Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:38 pm; edited 4 times in total
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:45 am Reply with quote
I'll throw in my voice to say I was also one of the customers that supported Creamy Mami and Dear Brother as blind buys, simply because I had an interest in older anime series, and wanted to finally watch two of the ones I had found out about over the years (it just seems more like a correlation to conclude that they sold because of fansubs, without actually polling the people who bought the series). Anyways, there are lots of other Anime Sols series I really wanted to contribute to (Tobikage, Yatterman, Pastel Yumi and Polymar in particular), but when you wind up spending close to $300 to own just one series, wholly uncertain along the way if it will succeed or not (and bumping up your pledges for single sets just to ensure you can complete the series) it's monumentally difficult to justify supporting anything else along the way.

Personally, I think besides the difficult support model Anime Sols has, it seems like the bigger problem is more about awareness and building reputation (which is helped out at least by the successes so far this year). I think part of it is the website design --- although practical and layed out well enough, it doesn't seem to have the look and feel that inspires confidence as a successful and established operation, which actually made me doubtful at first about its legitimacy until I looked more into it. Maybe throw in a galaxy background, more pictures of anime characters dotted throughout the layout (specifically visually integrated with the site I mean, sort of like how TRSI does it), a more prominently linked "About Us" page (I didn't even realize there was one already until I looked through the footer links just now), maybe more flashy text blurbs about being partnered with the original studios --- you know, something to give a stronger identity/personality to the site, that people can immediately latch onto and feel some confidence/own some identity in.

Also, I don't mind being 'spammed' with emails, actually I personally felt as though I haven't been emailed enough to keep aware about what's going on with the site, esp. since I'm not as keen on visiting the site to stream series as I am in buying them. I often don't realize a funding drive is ending until I get a short email about it towards the end, and I doubt the regular user is going to bookmark the deadlines for all those series on their personal calendars. In comparison, for Kickstarter projects I get tons of emails all the time about what's going on, I think for just the Anime News Nina Kickstarter there have been about 30 update emails so far, and I enjoy every one of them, as I do for almost every other crowd-funding project I've supported. It's just very hard to feel emotionally attached or invested into Anime Sols' crowdfunding drives because it just seems like any other online purchase --- giving some personality and depth to the crowdfunding experience could help a lot. Maybe add some blogging software to the site, like Wordpress perhaps, and integrate the news posts/stories with Facebook, that could help in building up a personality/identity for the site, growing user awareness, keeping supporters engaged and maintaining interest in the Anime Sols site itself (I didn't even realize there was a FB page for Anime Sols until I looked just now, a link for that should probably be prominently featured on the site too).

And one last thing, I don't know if it's because of the Japanese partners or just a general lack of staffing, but in my experience for crowdfunding projects there's usually a huge emphasis placed on the importance of the supporters, and with Anime Sols it doesn't really feel like there's as much appreciation expressed about the supporters as maybe there ought to be, I dunno', somehow I feel a lot more like I'm treated as a customer than an integral part of the project.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:59 am Reply with quote
I am fond of the Dezaki Black Jack OVAs and would definitely be willing to buy those. Especially if it means they might get that movie at some point.

Any chance of getting Legend of the Galactic Heroes, as long as we have pie in the sky dreams?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:24 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I am fond of the Dezaki Black Jack OVAs and would definitely be willing to buy those. Especially if it means they might get that movie at some point.

Any chance of getting Legend of the Galactic Heroes, as long as we have pie in the sky dreams?

Sure, 500$ for 20 episodes and no guarantee for completion. Very Happy
I think you'd find better odds simply by betting on who's going to win the football world cup this year.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:07 am Reply with quote
For 500 dollars, Reinhard better make me an Admiral.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:32 am Reply with quote
Zorin:
Quote:
Meanwhile everything anime on kickstarter has been a huge success meeting their goals very fast in a matter of days

True, but then those anime don't have the same region restrictions as the ones on Sols.

Quote:
If you call animesols a success clearly you didn't pay attention to the donations they were getting.

Well, first off, these are purchases, not donations. And they've only been around for a year, so it's not fair to expect them to score right off the bat.

Kikaioh:
Quote:
but when you wind up spending close to $300 to own just one series, wholly uncertain along the way if it will succeed or not (and bumping up your pledges for single sets just to ensure you can complete the series) it's monumentally difficult to justify supporting anything else along the way.

If you really want the show, you'll do whatever you can for it. So far, there are three shows which fit that bill for fans. Hopefully, Sols will get more soon.

Quote:
In comparison, for Kickstarter projects I get tons of emails all the time about what's going on,

Unless you deal with those hapless people at The Crater, of course.

Quote:
and with Anime Sols it doesn't really feel like there's as much appreciation expressed about the supporters as maybe there ought to be,

They give you thank you letters if you order certain tiers. What else do you want?

penguin:
Quote:

If Tokuma was practical, they'd at least stream the damn series here on Hulu already.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:36 am Reply with quote
Legend of the Galactic Heroes wins the gold medal for being the anime that is in the most need of a dub

And it's probably also on the list of the anime that are the least likely to get one.

One can always hope, though. Maybe the reboot...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5