• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Knights of Sidonia (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Ep 10

Yeah, this one was all over the place. I get the impression that they probably chopped up and spliced together several chapters of the manga in order to squeeze it into this episode. There just felt like there was too much missing.

Its kind of funny how feminine Izana is or has become? I'd say that she was far more feminine than Yuhata in this episode. I can't help but want to root for her.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
See? spoiler[I made a meat dress out of my placenta. Isn't it pretty?] Yikes! Goes well with the tentacles I guess. Very Happy

Lol, good point! It didn't quite register on me till you mentioned it, but yeah spoiler[creepy not cute].
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:42 am Reply with quote
We already know that Netflix will be streaming the entire series once it finishes. We now have a set date and an English trailer on the Netflix page for this series. Cristina Valenzuela tweeted it and Johnny Yong Bosch retweeted it, so that's two clues as to who'll be in the dub. I've had problems actually seeing the trailer, though...
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
they've put the voices through voice modulators, so you cant actually tell who's talking. it's kinda funny
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 11:

Damn, what an action packed episode. My eyes were glued to the screen nearly the whole time. spoiler[RIP Platoon 2]. Never forget. With that cliffhanger ending, I am excited to see how the show turns out.

I also recall a teaser news on a blog before (turned out not to be true though) for a potential S2 in the future. At this rate, I would love to see another season after next week's finale.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 11:

Damn, what an action packed episode. My eyes were glued to the screen nearly the whole time.

Exactly my thoughts. Episodes like this is where this series shines, and does it in a way that masterfully keeps my attention. I totally appreciate the way they handle these big battles, a mix of command and in action footage, planned organised formations, and total chaos in the heat of battle, the real fight being how they can keep going.

Have to say the show is being effective when I actually feel interested in the scale of events which they put quite a lot of thought into. And watching spoiler[Platoon 2 get shredded] was kind of heavy, when it started I correctly guessed what was at fault. Actually when they spoiler[thought to go behind] my immediate thought went to Starship Troopers that spoiler[there would probably be a bunch that would shoot them down], Black Bullet also made me think of that too, totally have to watch that movie again some time soon.

I thought maybe white haired douchebag had finally realized who the better choice for the pilot was, but he is still being totally self centred, even his refusal spoiler[to sortie put the lives possibly weaker pilots on the line].
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 11:

Damn, what an action packed episode. My eyes were glued to the screen nearly the whole time.

Exactly my thoughts. Episodes like this is where this series shines, and does it in a way that masterfully keeps my attention. I totally appreciate the way they handle these big battles, a mix of command and in action footage, planned organised formations, and total chaos in the heat of battle, the real fight being how they can keep going.

This. While last episode felt like they were trying to squeeze too much into it, this episode felt more focused and was exciting. The tenseness, risk taking and decisiveness of the command crew mixed with the nervousness and spirit of the pilots made it very compelling.

I really do hope they come out with a second season of this. There's too much going on I think to finish satisfactorily in one episode.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[That was the most satisfying Rocket Punch I have seen in a long time.]
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:08 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
spoiler[That was the most satisfying Rocket Punch I have seen in a long time.]

I disagree with you,for me that spoiler[Rocket Punch] lacked impact and force.I guess we can blame that one on CG , but nevertheless that scene was anti-climatic for me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (final)

A very good finale, pretty much exactly what you expect, not say that in a good way as presentation with battle and nail biting anticipation is in keeping with what we have had so far. At the very least as solid as a good space opera movie finale.

I rate the series as Very Good. The reasons I give are that there are a number of problems, chief among them was being able to tell characters apart as the CG did not lend itself to character models very well. I think there was a couple other characterisation issues, and parts like they had them supposedly doing really well kind of made a bit of a mess with the skips. The reason I rate it higher than most of the shows I have seen this season is that it did incredibly well in other parts, simply put this show could do battles really well.

The mechs were not actually very flashy, neither was the rest of the technology, but it had a style to it that was appealing to watch and although CG models could be considered its biggest weakness, it also served as a plus as there was barely any contrast from characters to mechs. The show really did manage to make inside a command center feel like a real part of the battle, and at the same time it made me feel like I was in there anxiously watching it unfold. I might liken to what was done in Arpeggio of Blue Steel which also used CG characters, although this also had the other side of the mech dogfights which I think were spliced together with some good design choices. I ended up a big fan of the design of technology with the various screens that could show a layout of the pilots, and often get disrupted from static, actually gave me a Dead Space vibe beyond just the monster designs, which is something I love. Some horror aspects work.

Story wise, maybe some improvement there, but there is room for some rather interesting stuff. In general this show was able to have its own style, and although I was worried that trying to be too unique would work against it, it ended up pulling it off. This is yet another series that I anticipate a sequel, and judging by that ending, oh it has me excited. Did it imply that the spoiler[gauna escaped the holding cell and now has a badass design] I can only describe as "spoiler[a Queen]"?

Also the OP is wicked, I would describe it as "anthem", similar to how I would describe Attack on Titan's second OP, which is something I super love for anime about a group of soldiers tasked on protecting people. The ED does not disappoint either, it is a low rumble that becomes a strong piece, curiously it highlights a part something else this series reminds me of which is Mass Effect, similar sci-fi technology styles that I like in games that I enjoy popping up in anime.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12/Finale:

Great way to cap this show! I really liked all the mechanics and the characters being involved in the show. The action as usual was solid with consistency that kept me interested all the way.

With that cliffhanger though, season 2 will be kicking later this year and I can't wait for it!

I'm rating this very good. In the meantime, I will probably give the author's other works a try.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:55 am Reply with quote
Not a bad place to wrap. Had to laugh though when Nagate's first reason to protect Sidonia was they had good food. Very Happy
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:37 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Had to laugh though when Nagate's first reason to protect Sidonia was they had good food. Very Happy

Not a good sign for Yuhata or Izana. Very Happy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:51 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Had to laugh though when Nagate's first reason to protect Sidonia was they had good food. Very Happy

Not a good sign for Yuhata or Izana. Very Happy

But maybe good for mama bear?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:28 am Reply with quote
I feel so stupid, I was mentioning before how much I like the OP, but I seriously only just noticed that it is performed by [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angela_(band)]angela[/url], a band I have a pretty high opinion of.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 S1 Final:

This was a nice cap to the season and kept the thrills of the last episode. I really liked that it wasn't all Nagate this episode either. Everyone had a part to play to spoiler[ensure the survival of the Sidonia]. It felt pretty balanced in that respect. It was also pretty harsh this was not spoiler[a win without some serious sacrifices]. Poor Izana doesn't spoiler[get any love and now it seems like more competition]. I really liked the whole scene with Kunato. spoiler[Nagate reaching out to him even though he hasn't forgiven him. Kunato's pride not letting him acknowledge Nagate, but still showing emotion even though he hid it behind the door]. Pride goeth before destruction. The question is can Kunato change or will he just get worse?

My only serious beef is that I wish the character animation wasn't jerky at times and that the faces were a little more expressive. The backgrounds and the mechs look fine its just the characters need some more attention. My second favorite show of the season behind Ping-Pong I'm grading it a Very Good (B+). The only downer is that it might be 6 months before the next season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8