• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mazinger Z Sub.DVD Part 1

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:58 am Reply with quote
SantaBla, You're right. Mazinger was the first Piloted Super Robot. I hope Discotek puts Ufo Robo Grendizer on Dvd next, as that is my favorite.
SantaBla

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:59 am Reply with quote
treatment wrote:

Oh, and btw, Mazinger Z is better Gatchaman. Koji's uniform is silly, but it is just less silly than a birdsuit.

Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see someone try and kickstart at least one work by Go Nagai and see if an interest arises. Why does Tezuka get all the fun?
treatment

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
SantaBla wrote:
treatment wrote:

Oh, and btw, Mazinger Z is better Gatchaman. Koji's uniform is silly, but it is just less silly than a birdsuit.

++

That comic deserves a hefty double rocket-punches of awesomeness!

Very Happy
Figland

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I would love to see someone try and kickstart at least one work by Go Nagai and see if an interest arises. Why does Tezuka get all the fun?

If random unheard of Tezuka manga can get fully funded then I'm 100% sure Mao Dante could do find. I want to see this happen too.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote
treatment wrote:
Well, since you like 5-person teams like Gatchaman, how about you try to get a copy of unedited/uncompressed Voltes V and watch it to the end?

Same team configuration. Jumpsuit uniforms instead of birdsuits. Each pilots an awesome vehicle that combines into an awesome robot.

Also, the team members don't mindmeld and the super robot doesn't have a yo-yo as a weapon.

You might just like it better than Gatchaman.

Read the description of it, and wow, that's a pretty blatant Gatchaman rip-off. Can't say that is sounds interesting enough to warrant that much of a time commitment, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I haven't had the chance to watch Mazinger yet, but a few years ago I bought the Mazinkaiser OVA (from the early 2000's I think), and I thought it was fantastic. Shows from the 70's seem to have a simple and straightforward nature to them, and I'm curious what the original was like (which means I'll probably be picking this up eventually).

well i liked the mazinger series. its one of the few series i watched subbed. however the mazinkaiser series was definitely superior. especially since ADV Films give it a solid enough english dub.

Sure there some flaws , cause its a very old mecha series , and the current otaku have been spoiled to be frank by all the eva , eureka 7 , and other 21st century mecha series to know a classic. would i purchase it? probably cause it does have issues and its a very old series where the storylines and music left something to be desired, but not being entertaining is definitely not one of them cause those that like classic mecha series definitely like all of the super robo series , especially most of the mazinger series.

Also to be frank, koji might be a considered the anti hero, but he's definitely no dick.

especially when comparing to the male protagonist from the mecha series Libarrels of Iron. He was a serious jerk and was definitely an anti hero cause unlike with koji, both friends, families and enemies really despises that guy from libarrels of iron.

of course we do have to mentioned Lelouch Lamperouge from Code Geass & to his defense, when it comes to being a serious bastard, koji have nothing compared to the crap lelouch did. Probably the main reason why people was comparing him to light yagami for so long.

and even then,they combined are inferior as the anti hero compared to Kenta from Desert Punk. Now that SOB is a true anti hero. and an even bigger dick koji will ever be. Of all the things Koji did to his friends especially sayaka, he have nothing compared to what all the BS kenta did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, as one of the very few people here that could say that he ran (figurately) from school to Watch Mazinger Z on tv in the late 70's (WAPA TV, Puerto Rico) I'm extremely Happy to finally see this series on DVD, and this reviewer Will Not take this happiness from me!

Koji Kabuto is not the perfect hero or gentleman for that matter, he's not a whinny brat, his relationship with Sayaka is not even civilized at times on both sides, their relationship gets better later on and you see them working together more here and ultimately when both come back in Great Mazinger. (Yes, I want Great Mazinger and Grendizer on DVD Discotek)

About the repetitiveness, I could say the same of every show using the Monster of the week trope, I could say the same of Sailor Moon. Mazinger Z Like it or not people, blazed the trail that multiple mecha anime of the 70's and 80's followed, Combattler V, Voltes V, Tosho Daimos, Gundam, VOTOMS and Evangelion wouldn't be here if the Castle of Iron, Mazinger Z and Go Nagai didn't rocket punch the way Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
@Vicserr
If you watched it as a kid and still have fond memories of the show, why would you need a review? The review is intended for those people in the current audience who have never seen the show or don't remember it that well.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:01 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Vicserr
If you watched it as a kid and still have fond memories of the show, why would you need a review? The review is intended for those people in the current audience who have never seen the show or don't remember it that well.

cause there are some of us that watched it way back then and still like it to this day.

and he was right in a way. it was one of the only few anime that haven't been americanized into a kids show that i watch without any english dubs at all.

and its as i said, sure there are flaws and yes, koji can be a serious ass at times, but at least he's not whiny and a uber mama's boy like shinji ikari.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:16 am Reply with quote
You do realize that Shinji Ikari was at least partly meant to be a specific counterpoint to characters like Koji, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
treatment

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
You do realize that Shinji Ikari was at least partly meant to be a specific counterpoint to characters like Koji, right?

Ahahaha!!!

Not sure if you're trying to troll some people or what, but that is some of the most bizarro fan fiction you're trying to invent there.

lol!
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:26 am Reply with quote
That's...exactly what Shinji was meant to be. And I don't even particularly like Eva.
treatment

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:47 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
That's...exactly what Shinji was meant to be. And I don't even particularly like Eva.

lol!

No. Not really. Not even close to partly.

I tell you what. I'm gonna humor you guys with something of my own observations with mecha pilots over the years:

For both full and partial character-counterpoints, Shinji is the counterpoint to Amuro while Akito is the counterpoint to Koji.

How 'bout them apples?

Very Happy
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:47 am Reply with quote
Okay, I can buy that Shinji is more directly a counterpoint to Amuro Ray, but that doesn't mean he isn't also at least partly a counterpoint to Koji, too.

I will admit, though, that I am only going off of the descriptions of Koji from this thread and the review, as I have never seen the original Z series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11