• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Announces Gargantia of the Verdurous Planet Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
Matthew Mercer as Chamber

Now this is interesting. Tomokazu Sugita voiced Alvin in Tales of Xillia while Mercer provided the dub voice. Sugita voiced Chamber in the Japanese version and Mercer is doing the dub voice. This reminds me of how Kirk Thornton voiced opposite of Ginpei Sato for both Jin in Samurai Champloo and Saix/Isa in Kingdom Hearts.

It's the same thing with Johnny Yong Bosch and Jun Fukuyama sharing roles as Lelouch and Yukio.

Sometimes that weird, coincidental voice casting stuff happens.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:17 pm Reply with quote
BZ's casting directors do that on purpose
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
BZ's casting directors do that on purpose

Didn't Kirk Thornton request to do both Jin and Saix's voices or am I thinking of a different situation?
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:57 am Reply with quote
While we're on the subject of parallelism of voice actors working on the same role... don't forget how Crispin Freeman & Jouji Nakata have both voiced Kirei Kotomine (F/Z) and Alucard! Neither should one forget how Jamieson Price & Nakata have both voiced the same roles even more times, like Diethard Ried (Code Geass), Kirei (F/sn) and the titular Count in Gankutusou. Smile

DerekTheRed wrote:
So.... Ledo and Amy's VAs are married? That's kind of cute

Are they really married? "Lee" isn't exactly a unique last name, and quick googling and my present inability to access Cassandra's website has yielded diddly squat.

Anyway, I'll see if I care to re-watch Gargantia in dub form-- seems like an alright cast! (Most curious about Alan Lee, here.) Not too sure if I'd really care to re-watch the series altogether, though, even if I did enjoy it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:05 am Reply with quote
Please let Naruto come to the Midwest. Please let Naruto come to the Midwest. Please let Naruto come to the Midwest.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:32 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I don't care about the dub, I just want a date for when Gargantia is coming out already!!

This. And by the looks of things a lot of people weren't exactly excited by the dub announcement (I was watching the panel livestream last night), and simply wanted the show to get released ASAP.

40:50 - http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/49529252

Can you feel the excitment Rolling Eyes?

I've got the JP OVAs on pre-order as I was going to get them regardless of how the Viz release turned out, but now i'm definitely leaning towards getting the JP box sets for the TV series as well... Like someone said in the comments I thought it'd be a grand release because of the long wait, but nope... They didn't even have all assets ready yet. And I wonder if they'll have the chibi shorts on disc.

I'm still interested in seeing what the booklet will contain, as the JP sets had some really amazing stuff in theirs, but I could guess it'll be episode summaries, an artwork section the form of background rips from the show (I'm looking at you, "K") & perhaps EngDub VA interviews... I really hope this won't be the case!
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:42 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
Matthew Mercer as Chamber

Now this is interesting. Tomokazu Sugita voiced Alvin in Tales of Xillia while Mercer provided the dub voice. Sugita voiced Chamber in the Japanese version and Mercer is doing the dub voice.

There's also Chrom (Fire Emblem: A)!
levonr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:50 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
Dessa wrote:
I don't care about the dub, I just want a date for when Gargantia is coming out already!!

This. And by the looks of things a lot of people weren't exactly excited by the dub announcement (I was watching the panel livestream last night), and simply wanted the show to get released ASAP.

Just because people weren't jumping up & down doesn't mean people don't care. I'm excited about the dub but if I was there you wouldn't know. Must I scream and tell everyone how excited I am for others to know? That's what children do. Maybe that crowd was more mature for a change.
Many dub only viewers probably don't know anything about the show. How do you show excitement about something you know nothing about?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote
Viz dubs anime, we knew this was coming for a while now. I have no doubt there are plenty of happy people, along with plenty of people who are indifferent and and plenty of people like that moron on the reddit link declaring the show is now ruined.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
Going with the shared roles topic: Michelle Ruff has shared roles with Ayako Kawasumi in: Rave Master, Please Twins/Teacher, Ai Yori Aoshi, Kannazuki no Miko, Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works Scrapped Princess (while the 1st Fate/stay night TV series was played by Kate "Sakura Haruno" Higgins who also did the dubbed version of Kawasumi's Noda in Nodame Cantabile).

-The counterpart of Monica Rial's Campione and Infinite Stratos roles also played Miu in Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero and Emi in The Devil is a Part-Timer! which were both dubbed by Felecia Angelle.

While I didn't word them exactly the same, these are among the 30 facts were posted by me in response the Brett Doty post of "Post some odd-ball bit of knowledge that you think nobody else knows!" on the Fans of Monica Rial FB page.

As far as the 2 Lee people being married, it could just be coincidental and that they aren't married.

A real life anime couple was that dub voices of Keiichi and Belldandy in original 5-episoded Oh! My Goddess OVAs used to be married.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I thought more people would have been receptive to it, but alright (perhaps because it's not full of "big" or as- well-known names?). Outside of Alan Lee, who I have never heard in a prior role, the cast looks very solid and seems close to the range choice of the original cast. There were a few people I thought would play Chamber, but Matthew Mercer never came to mind, however, he sounds like the right guy for it. It would have been nice to see more of the cast list, but so far, it looks like the makings of a pretty good dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I smell synergy. Coolio! Love synergy. Synergy makes the world go round.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Levon_r wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

Just because people weren't jumping up & down doesn't mean people don't care. I'm excited about the dub but if I was there you wouldn't know. Must I scream and tell everyone how excited I am for others to know? That's what children do. Maybe that crowd was more mature for a change.

Or maybe they just didn't care about the show itself.
levonr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Levon_r wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

Or maybe they just didn't care about the show itself.

I thought the show was a little lackluster. Good but nothing special to go crazy about.
levonr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Complere series dubbed released today: http://www.hulu.com/grid/gargantia-on-the-verdurous-planet?categories=dubbed

Not October like the news says.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2