• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star Anime; Strike Witches, Steins;Gate Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Yay, I'm glad we'll finally be getting the Strike Witches movie. And it assures that the OVAs and 3rd season will also be in the pipeline, even if we have to wait a while to assuage the JP licensors' fears of reverse importation.
Student no.0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi and Lucky Star got picked up? And the Steins;Gate movie? Looks like I can hold off on watching the rest of Haruhi till I pick this up, same with Lucky Star since I've really liked what little I've heard if the dub so far.

Now if Hyouka and My Ordinary Life were to get picked up, the heavens will sing!
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote
It's great that those in the US can get Haruhi if they missed the Bandai boat and don't like importing. I guess that Funi have grabbed this in time to have it around when the Nagato anime starts? Hopefully, they release the 2 seasons in viewing order...as changing discs is annoying. Laughing

I got the original Madman releases for the series. Maybe this Funi release may see Madman releasing the 2 seasons in a new collection? If so...I may double dip.

The thing I'm most happy about is the Steins;Gate movie. I'd been contemplating getting the Japanese release, as it comes with English subs, but have been holding out in the hopes someone in the west would get it. Now, Funi has it!

So, it's great to see I can get my hands on it for cheaper than the Japanese versions I've seen online. But, I'm going to wait again...to see if Madman bring the movie over to Aus.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
About time some one get Haruhi and Lucky star and finely they got the Strike Witches movie I hope they really soon

So that sets Funi to get Yuki-chan
Kurama4Ever!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say I'm surprised that Funi got Haruhi. I thought if anyone was going to rescue that it would for sure be Sentai.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Season 1 Haruhi, Season 2 Haruhi and Haruhi-chan ... but explicitly no movie? I got the BD so I'm good but the series is just left hanging there without it.

But in terms of reissuing, if it's rereleased with Melancholy and Sigh each on one disk then I will double dip. Cheap single layer Bandai rereleases...

Lucky Star? Well, I've already bought it and sold it {at a 200% markup, thanks Bandai!} once but if it's released on BD then... no, really didn't like it.

Strike Witches movie? I can't tell if Funimation is pleased with how the franchise is selling or not. So many conflicting signs...

Also, D-Frag! D-Frag! That should make for a fun dub.

Last edited by Animegomaniac on Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
machetecat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
If they release Haruhi in a single bluray boxset w/ the episodes in consecutive order, I'll double dip. Otherwise, I got all the collectors editions for season 1 w/my season 2 disks in jewel cases in the drawer of the box that came w/ season 1. (The case they used for season 2 SUCKED). I'm not giving those up, so a bluray of the show like that would be ideal, as that's the only order of the series they didn't release the series on to the western audience.

If they decide to do a "season 1" and "season 2" bluray set, then I might just wait for a cheap release.

Lucky Star though I'll double dip for if the series is both on Bluray and comes with the OVA in it. I didn't get the collector editions of the singles, and it's be nice to trade them in for a bluray boxset. They also HAVE to have Lucky Channel or it's a complete no-go.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
LightOtaku wrote:
still no Hyouka... Sad

I've almost given up on seeing someone bring it over to the west. Don't think it ever gained much attention while airing, so I have doubts that many would see it as a worthwhile series. Sad, as I really enjoyed it.

Guess I'll still hold onto what little hope I have for it. Would be nice to see the last novel see an anime adaption too. But, I know that'd be asking for too much.

Student no.0 wrote:
Now if Hyouka and My Ordinary Life were to get picked up, the heavens will sing!

Oh, Nichijou! Seeing Lucky Star and now the mention of Nichijou...I should keep my eyes peeled for a Madman sale! Laughing

While I've not seen Lucky Star, I've heard a lot about it. And, it sounds like something that might be right up my alley. I might try to check out an episode or two, just to be sure of it. Blind buys are rare for me.

I did catch some of Nichijou when it was airing here last year/begging of this year; I enjoyed what I saw. Sadly, I did tend to forget about it as it was aired on a community station that I rarely watch, so only caught a few episodes.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Original actors for Blazblue, or no thank you. Because to be frank... the anime wasn't that good...

They'll defiantly get Patrick Seitz back, but at lease get Noel and Jin...
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I find it interesting that FUNimation haven't licensed The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. Is there something holding that one back?

I already have Beez's Limited Edition release of Haruhi season 1, as well as Manga UK's release of season 2 (with me only missing the second part of Haruhi-chan), so unless FUNimation will need to get a blu-ray release to keep me personally interested. Great to see that the series will be back on the market though.

I also already have Beez's Lucky Star release, but happy to see it returning to print.

I'm really hyped about the Steins;Gate and Strike Witches movies though!
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Honestly Haruhi and Lucky Star don't matter much to me since here in Australia it never went out of print and I already own and have re-watched both of them more times than I can count (Although if that means we get a Blu-ray release then I'm happy) but I'm glad to see the Strike Witches and Steins;Gate films are getting releases.

Considering how long its been since the movie came out I was thinking that the Strike Witches movie would never get released. The dub is easily one of Funimation's worst but at least I'll be able to own a physical copy of it when Madman bring it over here.

Last edited by SquadmemberRitsu on Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Lucky Star blu rays here I come.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
I find it interesting that FUNimation haven't licensed The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. Is there something holding that one back?

I didn't notice that. Stab in the dark, maybe Funi are going to be getting Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan's anime and could then announce the Haruhi movie with a "where it all began" type of marketing gimmick?
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I figured with KyoAni and all that Sentai would be more likely to pick up those 2, but I've kind of grown out of Haruhi and I never liked Lucky Star. I will share the sentiment of hoping or Hyouka though; seen a few episodes of it and it was surprisingly enticing and had some interesting dynamics going on.

With all this said, I'm hoping those obvious big franchises people are really itching for (Gundam and GitS SAC) get reclaimed soon along with maybe Sword of the Stranger, Flag, Planetes and a few others soon, but Otakon just started, so we'll see how it goes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! I was hoping Funi would pick up the Steins;Gate movie. I really wanted to hear it in English--can't get enough of that dub! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8