• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Clone Wars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbobot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I would have already bought Railgun S from funi if it weren't for the fact that they announced they'd be releasing every other part of the Raildex series on blu-ray. They didn't specifically announce Railgun S, but they mentioned Railgun, Index and Index II so it seems reasonable to assume Railgun S will be on its way as well.

I'm torn on the sister's arc. As far as story content goes I consider it probably the best of either Railgun or Railgun S, but on the other hand I very much dislike how Kuroko, Uiharu, and Saten are sidelined for the vast majority of it. I love Mikoto, don't get me wrong, but I like the show better when all 4 of them are interacting and working together.

And I too am addicted to Love Live SIF. Working on the current Hanayo event to keep in the top 1000 rankings.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
2 Random new powers for Railgun involving... magnetism. Yes, I'm well aware of the inverse relationship between electricity and magnetism but I'm also aware that not all metals are magnetic.

They don't need to be magnetic for magnetic effects. Observe.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
OH&S wrote:
^

Also Kuroko is only a raging man hating lesbian in the anime. Though, man hating may be a bit too much. And the next arc seems to suggest lesbian may be too strong a word.

actually she is in both the anime and manga versions. sure she's not uber lesbian obsessed ala code geass's Nina Einstein but the signs are definitely there. especially when her precious onee-chan is near Touma. and if you read Vol 5 of the manga,or ep 10-11 of the series were there the main reason she will allow that "trougledite" near misaka is to build an immunity to the charms of men. if that isnt signs of a raging man hating lesbian, i dont know what is.Besides the last thing anyone wants is for her to become in the same levels as nina.

Last edited by jr240483 on Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:23 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OH&S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote
^
Maybe we differ on where the term man hating is appropriate.

A man who she sees as a potential love rival for Mikoto appears? (ie Touma)
Then yeah I guess she becomes man hating. Though in my mind its only for the sake of some slapstick and her trying to monopolize Mikoto.

If it has nothing to do with Mikoto, then not really.
Dorian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone else had problems with disc 3 of Cardcaptor Sakura? We can't get the English subs to work.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:33 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
actually she is in both the anime and manga versions.

Sorry, but the fact that she isn't actually a lesbian pretty much throws out your man hater theory. She just has a crush on Mikoto and gets jealous when she sees her crush with a potential romantic interest.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:58 am Reply with quote
Ah Cardcaptor Sakura. Used to watch it on TV when I was round 9 or 10. One of the best kids shows, and Madhouse's animation still looks solid even after all these years. I heard the JP blu rays looked good, and I want to check this set out, but it's too expensive for me right now. I hope they release standard blu ray set(s) later on. For longer series I've got no problem just buying my favorite episodes.

Count me in as one of those who prefers Railgun to Index. First heard about it from fripside's badass opening. Started watching a couple of episodes of each and eventually just stuck with Railgun. The Sister's Arc was good, although it was also pretty dark and cruel. Was also disappointed that Saten, Uiharu, and Kuroko got barely any screentime during the arc. I may be in the minority but I actually liked the lighter slice of life moments in Railgun. I like the covers used for the DVD sets but with season 1 getting a blu ray I'll probably wait for S to get one as well. Oh and I don't watch Senran Kagura (I like the cute anime character designs though) but I started cracking up at the Mildly Entertaining Boob Show rating.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:50 am Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
Ah Cardcaptor Sakura. Used to watch it on TV when I was round 9 or 10. One of the best kids shows, and Madhouse's animation still looks solid even after all these years. I heard the JP blu rays looked good, and I want to check this set out, but it's too expensive for me right now. I hope they release standard blu ray set(s) later on. For longer series I've got no problem just buying my favorite episodes.

I seem to recall hearing that you should buy the NISA Blu-ray set ASAP if you want it, since there's no guarantee of a re-release once the initial pressing sells out.

Wonder how NISA managed to get the rights to the Animax Asia dub. There are a few rough spots here and there (mispronounced names, having the same voice actress [Candice Moore] for Yukito and Syaoran, etc.), but overall it's decent. I also like that the dub retains Sakura calling Syaoran by his family name at first. Haven't watched the Blu-rays in Japanese yet.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
having the same voice actress [Candice Moore] for Yukito and Syaoran, etc.)

Actually, Yukito is played by someone named Muriel Hoffman. But yeah, Yukito's voice is a bit too high. I liked his voice in the Sealed Card movie dub better. But the dub itself is serviceable to an extent. Plus it gives me an excuse to rewatch the show again!
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
actually she is in both the anime and manga versions.

Sorry, but the fact that she isn't actually a lesbian pretty much throws out your man hater theory. She just has a crush on Mikoto and gets jealous when she sees her crush with a potential romantic interest.

never said she was. just act like one.

also she have given out clues during the sisters arc if you followed her in her thoughts closely. so its as i said, its a high chance that she is one of those types.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:
having the same voice actress [Candice Moore] for Yukito and Syaoran, etc.)

Actually, Yukito is played by someone named Muriel Hoffman.

Muriel Hoffman was Hayate in Hayate the Combat Butler. AFAIK she never did any dubs for Omni Productions (who did CCS for Animax), just Red Angel Media (who did Hayate).

There used to be a very informative thread on an Indian fan forum that ID'd the Animax/Omni Productions VAs by listing the characters they voiced. Candice Moore played a lot of male characters originally voiced by Megumi Ogata (Yukito, Kurama in Yu Yu Hakusho); not sure if that was a coincidence or intentional.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:58 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:

I seem to recall hearing that you should buy the NISA Blu-ray set ASAP if you want it, since there's no guarantee of a re-release once the initial pressing sells out.
Eh, I ain't too picky. If that happens I have no problem buying the standard DVDs (since everyone cares about the blu ray I doubt the DVDs will sell out). Just owning the series is good enough for me. And I also am curious how NIS was able to license the Animax dub.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

also she have given out clues during the sisters arc if you followed her in her thoughts closely. so its as i said, its a high chance that she is one of those types.

In that case, you're claiming she is acting like one based on what exactly? The solitary instance of how she acts around Touma? Thats about as stupid as calling some one racist because there happens to be this one guy of a different race that they don't get along with.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

In that case, you're claiming she is acting like one based on what exactly? The solitary instance of how she acts around Touma? Thats about as stupid as calling some one racist because there happens to be this one guy of a different race that they don't get along with.

its not just that only. there are other parts in both the manga and anime that most people might miss as clues.

And its as i said before. i never said she was one of those types.

is it possible she's not one of those men hating lesbian types? yes or at least until the author says otherwise.

but from how the way she acts during the sisters arc and the other archs too,its also possible that she might be one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3