• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pony Canyon Production Company Expands to US Market

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LokiReed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
hmmm.... i hope this doesn't mean that funimation won't be getting as many popular titles now. i tend to really like there sets.
Or at least i hope that Pony Canyon will be dubbing there stuff, and releasing them at somewhat reasonable prices..... guess we'll have to wait and see. :/
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
LokiReed wrote:
hmmm.... i hope this doesn't mean that funimation won't be getting as many popular titles now.

I think Sentai is the one that should be more worried. I just checked the series in which Pony Canyon has been involved in the production, and they have produced several high profile titles that Sentai has released.

And aside from Attack on Titan, Pony Canyon has not produced any real significant series that Funimation has licensed and released.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 was likely talking about something that's either rare or OOP, like I know Windaria's DVDs have been really expensive since its re-release many years back, but I doubt it's anything being offered new at that kind of SRP, that's just way beyond the norm and otaku wouldn't buy it. Like didn't Nichijou have that problem with discs being a little more expensive than usual and resulted in poor sales?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
mdo7 was likely talking about something that's either rare or OOP, like I know Windaria's DVDs have been really expensive since its re-release many years back, but I doubt it's anything being offered new at that kind of SRP, that's just way beyond the norm and otaku wouldn't buy it. Like didn't Nichijou have that problem with discs being a little more expensive than usual and resulted in poor sales?

Nichijou is a Kadokawa production, right? I've always found that their individual volumes were a tad more expensive than the rest. Steins;Gate is the only series I've collected from them and I had to buy them new for the bonus film pieces. Other than that its BD boxes all the way (Lucky Star was a regrettable purchase...absolute shit "upscale" and it arrived damaged :/) if I could go back in time I would have spent the money on Strike Witches instead.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It amazes me how that meme continues to travel around.

Nichijou's BDs were priced at 7,980 yen for two episodes apiece while other publishers' two episode volumes usually range between 6,600-7,350 yen each. That's not much more and less than Kadokawa's 9,200 yen 2-episode volumes for Gosick, Strike Witches 2, and Panty and Stocking.

The issue with Nichijou (and Gosick) is that Kadokawa only put two episodes on a disc, meaning they were 13 and 12 volumes long while other 2-cour series were released on 8-9 volumes. It wasn't a per-volume price difference; it's Kadokawa being Kadokawa and extending the number of volumes for 2-cour series.[/url]
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I think Sentai is the one that should be more worried. I just checked the series in which Pony Canyon has been involved in the production, and they have produced several high profile titles that Sentai has released.

Pony Canyon doesn't do the international rights on many of those series. It's usually TBS who they're often partnered with on the production committee.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Cherry-picking AoT's ridiculously low price because FUNi hopes to make up for it via much larger volume of sales is not helping your argument.

For instance, if I want to buy Railgun on DVD, the two sets have an MSRP of $60 each, and that's after it took 3-4 years to get here.

I wasn't cherry picking releases at all. I was comparing bare bones release to another bare bones release. Pretty much all of Funi's bare bones releases are priced similarly. Now if you buy something that is limited edition it is going to cost more. That is obvious.

I have no idea about Rail Gun since I did not buy it but this doesn't look like $60.00 to me. I have never paid $60.00 for a bare bones release from Funimation. And with Funimation you usually get a DVD & BR (doesn't look to be the case with Rail Gun but its still cheaper than anything from AOA).

Although I wasn't talking about MRSP but the actual price I have to pay.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=fun06753alt

compare to AOA's bare bones Fate Zero release (well okay it came with a mini poster).

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=aoa2303d

Quote:
AoA's pricing is ridiculous for their 'Japan import' releases. Their domestic releases are slightly higher but nowhere near as ridiuclous as you make it out to be.

I actually don't think AOA's import releases are ridiculous because it is an import so obviously it is going to be the same or close to the same price as it is in Japan.

However I think AOA's domestic prices for a release that comes with absolutely nothing are ridiculous when you compare them to everyone else on the market.

I didn't just compare it to Funimation. I compared them to NISA who releases premium editions at the same price as AOA's bare bones release.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=813633012841

Also you seem to be misunderstanding me when I say the prices are ridiculous. I am not saying $60.00 is ridiculous in general, I am saying it is a ridiculous price to be asking for a release that is essentially bare bones.

People try to say AOA charges more because they give you more but in this case they are actually charging more for less.

South Pacific wrote:
So i can throw that back at you. Why isn't Funimation and Sentai more like NIS

NISA is actually my favorite company on the market right now.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Pony Canyon doesn't do the international rights on many of those series. It's usually TBS who they're often partnered with on the production committee.

How do you determine "international rights"? Is it safe to go by the JP producer/label when discussing the potentiality of a foreign acquisition?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
How do you determine "international rights"? Is it safe to go by the JP producer/label when discussing the potentiality of a foreign acquisition?

The safest bet for anyone who wants to know what Pony Canton has international rights over would be to look at their own international licensing site. Now, to be fair, there's a chance it might not be up-to-date, but at least the titles listed there are undoubtedly Pony Canyon-controlled titles.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
If that's the extent of what they undoubtedly own, that's kind of sad, they're all old or forgettable. Maybe if they came out with some Vampire Princess Miyu, Mad Bull 34, or MADOX-01 BluRays I'd be interested.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Cherry-picking AoT's ridiculously low price because FUNi hopes to make up for it via much larger volume of sales is not helping your argument.

I wasn't cherry picking releases at all. I was comparing bare bones release to another bare bones release. Pretty much all of Funi's bare bones releases are priced similarly. Now if you buy something that is limited edition it is going to cost more. That is obvious.

If you are using AoT as a comparison to other bare bones releases, you are cherry picking. Funimation typically sells their regular one-cour BD/DVD combos at $65 SRP, but the AoT sets are priced at $50 SRP.

I agree with you, Maidenoftheredhand, that AoA sub-only bare bones, one-cour DVD sets are pricey at $74 MSRP. A better comparison is Sentai's subtitled only, bare bones, DVD one-cour sets priced at $50 SRP.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

The safest bet for anyone who wants to know what Pony Canton has international rights over would be to look at their own international licensing site. Now, to be fair, there's a chance it might not be up-to-date, but at least the titles listed there are undoubtedly Pony Canyon-controlled titles.

Hey thanks for the link totally missed that. Not seeing Bartender somewhat upsetting Sad I've always just gone by whatever company is listed on the spine of the video case.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Like some people said (and thanks for backing me up there), the $200 DVDs that has 2-3 episode I probably saw 2 (or 3) years ago is probably a rare type. That's probably the only time I saw it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

If you are using AoT as a comparison to other bare bones releases, you are cherry picking. Funimation typically sells their regular one-cour BD/DVD combos at $65 SRP, but the AoT sets are priced at $50 SRP.

Well to tell you the truth I used AOT as an example since it was one of my last purchases so it was fresh in my mind.

Sentai might be cheaper than Funi (and I don't really pay attention mind you since I feel both are reasonably priced for what they offer). Sentai doesn't usually give you both the DVD & BR so I suppose you are right that would have been a better comparison.

Although I do think Funi usually offers a slightly nicer product than Sentai.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
The safest bet for anyone who wants to know what Pony Canton has international rights over would be to look at their own international licensing site.

Damn, REC isn't there...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9