• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Unveils High School DxD BorN Broadcast Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:52 pm Reply with quote
RejectedShadow wrote:

I love dubs (when done well) but there are plenty of VAs who genuinely suck and have no business working in anime yet continue to do so despite constant criticism and showing no signs of improvement...

I'm not asking you to be a jerk but who legitimately is bad?

I can't think of any dub I've ever watched where I thought an actor was genuinely bad. I've seen questionable casting choices, but no one who did an overly poor job
Taskforce

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
RejectedShadow wrote:

I love dubs (when done well) but there are plenty of VAs who genuinely suck and have no business working in anime yet continue to do so despite constant criticism and showing no signs of improvement...

I'm not asking you to be a jerk but who legitimately is bad?

I can't think of any dub I've ever watched where I thought an actor was genuinely bad. I've seen questionable casting choices, but no one who did an overly poor job

Sorry, couldn't help myself. If you watch the original Burn Up OVA dub or Leda: Fantastic Adventure Of Yohko dubbed. You'll find out what truely bad dubbing is. When the girl in Burn Up was crying, I was laughing my butt off because it was so pathetic and terrible.

Back on topic, me personally, I wish Funimation and others would lose Alexis Tipton somewhere and forget she exists. I can't stand her acting. Felecia Angelle is a much better actress that sounds quite similar.
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
RejectedShadow wrote:
I'm not a dub guy so I'm not going to criticize the new dub cast or even the dub itself, but I will criticize FUNi on this one, this was such a poor decision from them, but honestly couldn't win with this, they'd have annoyed people if they didn't broadcast dub this, and they've seemingly annoyed people with these cast changes.

Question for all you dub watchers: With these sort of cast changes (assuming they'll stay in the final home video release version) would it discourage you from buying the Blu-Ray / DVD?

The voices don't even sound different enough to make this big of a deal about it. But this is the anime fandom, after all.

No, it wouldn't. The new voices sound great and I highly doubt they're going to waste their time changing it. It would be a waste of money.

[EDIT: Please don't disable HTML/BBCode in your posts, as it's what's causing the quote feature to not work correctly. If you're not doing this intentionally then please make sure those boxes - found in the Options section below the typing box - aren't checked before you submit your post. - Key]
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:50 pm Reply with quote
FrameFreeze100 wrote:
I agree. I haven't seen the first dubbed episode yet but I was actually more worried that Xenovia's actress (who is primarily LA based) would be replaced... but apparently even Dallas locals are no exception.

I'll miss hearing Scott Freeman and Teri Rogers (hopefully return for the home video release) but Jamie Marchi as Rias has always been the best thing about the dub (won 2 awards for her performance for season 1) so that's one positive.

Yeah, I'm curious if Xenovia's is indeed back since this seems to imply she is and I wasn't sure she'd be back too.

Truth. Smile
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's crazy to see these re-casts. I didn't even really think those happened. I wonder if this is permanent or if this is just for the Simuldub?

Also I feel like season 4 is inevitable, so does that mean Scott will be back then? So many questions.

I enjoy Josh's performances for the most part, especially Akihisa from Baka and Test.
macattack

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Yeah, I'm curious if Xenovia's is indeed back since this seems to imply she is and I wasn't sure she'd be back too.

Truth. Smile

I think "Ramona Newel" (we all know who she really is) is back, but I'd need to hear more of her to know for sure.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I Facebook private messaged Scott on why he isn't this is new simulcast dub. Since his last FB update was on 4/3, I will surprised if I got a response at all.
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
As I said in the episode review, concerns about the recast roles are premature. There's barely any difference (and certainly no drop-off) between Josh's performance and Scott's previous ones. There's enough more of a difference with Kelly vs. Teri that it will takes some getting used to, but it's still not a dramatic change.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GEO9875

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:41 pm Reply with quote
if funi does a simuldub of Dragon Ball Super, i wonder if they will be able to get the original Toonami cast back.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Why in the world would Funimation do a simuldub for a boobs show when the boobs are censored? Not understanding this one other than there being a large hitherto unknown audience that doesn't realize that they're watching censored material.
bs3311

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Mmmmmmm, though I'm okay with Josh since Scott kept Iseri's horrible personality in his tone, and with Josh it will be entertaining since smartass is what he lives for. I wouldn't even be worried about this if Jamie Marchi had to be recast, in fact. I would actually be happy. Her selfie line was the last straw. Rogers sounded similar too, so maybe that change will be cool. But points for having to recast will be deducted still. Can't let enjoyment cloud me lol.

Plus Justin Cook's PR reply is hilarious. Ill fix it: "Oh, we do jack in giving our staff more time to cast people to keep consistency to a product that isn't going to be released in around a year. But this year is gonna be the BEST for us and I know you'll like it!"

Taskforce wrote:
I wish Funimation and others would lose Alexis Tipton somewhere and forget she exists. I can't stand her acting.

Same, but not that harshly. I just think she should voice really small side characters or monster villians. Her Maria was awful IMO.

Key wrote:
As I said in the episode review, concerns about the recast roles are premature.

Its not about roles being recast, its because roles HAVING to be recast. Funi shot themselves in the foot trying to pump out simuldubs to quickly. This will also probably never be redubbed again with the original actors. People don't like a drop in consistency. Excuses can be made for stuff like the eva rebuild movies, dallas dubs of old LA licensed properties, and actors just leaving the booth. But the solution of this recast never having to be made would be for Funimation to give more time with the product...... like back in the good ol days. And the recast of actors performances sounding the same can be another bad thing, it pulls the card that some of their actors can practically sound alike in tone and delivery. Scott already sounded like Josh Grelle as this asshole protagonist, or Justin Cook's Toji. So having this actor being placed as him just makes Scott look bad.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:08 am Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:

Taskforce wrote:
I wish Funimation and others would lose Alexis Tipton somewhere and forget she exists. I can't stand her acting.

Same, but not that harshly. I just think she should voice really small side characters or monster villians. Her Maria was awful IMO.

Key wrote:
As I said in the episode review, concerns about the recast roles are premature.

Its not about roles being recast, its because roles HAVING to be recast. Funi shot themselves in the foot trying to pump out simuldubs to quickly. This will also probably never be redubbed again with the original actors. People don't like a drop in consistency. Excuses can be made for stuff like the eva rebuild movies, dallas dubs of old LA licensed properties, and actors just leaving the booth. But the solution of this recast never having to be made would be for Funimation to give more time with the product...... like back in the good ol days. And the recast of actors performances sounding the same can be another bad thing, it pulls the card that some of their actors can practically sound alike in tone and delivery. Scott already sounded like Josh Grelle as this asshole protagonist, or Justin Cook's Toji. So having this actor being placed as him just makes Scott look bad.

First i just wanna say i love Alexis Voice and i wouldn't want to see her go anywhere.

Second i think you hit the nail on the head. I love Funimation but this time they sorta dropped the ball.

It reminds me a little of the situation with Steam and Paid Mods, Funi had good intentions (Giving people a DAnime hyper dub in a timely fashion) but they should have know better in this case, it wasn't worth recasting for a simildub

Like people said, when the uncensored VD come out who gets the role, Scott and Teri, or the new people. If there is a season four, who gets the role?

I think it would kinda suck if Scott lost one of his great roles because he had plans and couldn't come voice Issie this one time. WE know he does Similidubs, cause he was in the Assassination Classroom Similidub (He played the highschool ringleader during the field trip episode)
lazydude500

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:41 am Reply with quote
I saw the first dubbed episode. Not 100% sure but it seems Azazel and Xenovia were recast too... Mad

FrameFreeze100 wrote:
I'll miss hearing Scott Freeman and Teri Rogers (hopefully return for the home video release) but Jamie Marchi as Rias has always been the best thing about the dub (won 2 awards for her performance for season 1) so that's one positive.

Jamie Marchi as Rias is one of the best performances of the decade and the main reason I'm bothering with this censored dub (though it should be noted at least one group has synced FUNi's dub audio with the AT-X raw footage)

Key wrote:
As I said in the episode review, concerns about the recast roles are premature. There's barely any difference (and certainly no drop-off) between Josh's performance and Scott's previous ones.

I think there's a notable difference and if you looked elsewhere you'd see plenty of other fans displeased with Grelle's performance too (even though many still like him as an actor in general). If you think there's no notable difference your hearing is either failing you or your status as a professional reviewer should be called into question with claims that are clearly incorrect and jarring to read...
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:09 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
There's barely any difference (and certainly no drop-off) between Josh's performance and Scott's previous ones.

Maybe we have different ears for actors but, they sound totally different, Josh just doesn't have the spark like Scott gave it. like someone else said, if you think they sound similar you need to clean the gunk outta your ears.

Also I think "Kelly Angel" is just Bryn Appril under a pseudonym, it sounded like her doing a sexy voice, which is weird since she normally does cute voices, and IIRC she's like 17 IRL
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Also I think "Kelly Angel" is just Bryn Appril under a pseudonym, it sounded like her doing a sexy voice, which is weird since she normally does cute voices, and IIRC she's like 17 IRL

I think that she is at least 18 because she graduated high school last May (though sometimes people that are 16 do graduate early).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4