• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Digimon Fans Alter Atsuya Uki's tri Character Designs to Match Original Style

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I must say, I like the altered version better. And yeah, was also hoping for TV series rather than movies. I hope BDs will come out early next year...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
The only difference between the before and after images seems to be a morning cup of coffee.
Sobe

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Both look good to me to be honest. The versions on the right obviously look more shounen while versions on the left look a bit more mature.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I prefer the altered art-work. If these were designs for original characters, they'd be fine, but seeing how these characters have well established designs, the new ones look uninviting for series fans. The fan work gives it a more happy medium.
deidara517

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
i also have to go with the altered style it just brings back more nostalgia and looks better if it fits more with the original style
Ergo Proxy

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Uki's character design fits their mature age way better, why can't people accept it...Neophobia, nothing more
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Literally the only difference is their eyes and a couple of their mouths.

Anime style has changed a lot in 15 years. I'm glad the new series is reflecting that. Plus Toei's designs in Xros Wars were really ugly. Like they tried really hard for the season 1 style but made their heads too big and necks too small.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Goodness, first the SM fandom now the Digimon fandom? What's wrong with the new style? Be grateful we're even getting more. I personally like the new style, it looks more mature.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
The fan edit fits Taichi perfectly.
AnimeSuperStyle

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I prefer the ones to the right, suits the anime more better. left ones look very dull!!!!! I must say i wast not very happy with visuals in the first place Confused
meiam

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I'd say it would depend on the kind of story the movies (booooooo, original was a TV series, should stay a TV series) are. I've been staying away from the promotional material cause they usually spoil the entire things so I'm not sure if the audience is the same audience than the original but now grown up, so the story might focus a bit more on mature theme or if there's still primarily aimed at children. If its the former, then new art style is fine, otherwise older one is better since its a bit more cartoony.

Either way I don't particularly care, or at least its completely overshadow by my disappointment that there movie now.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I am also in the camp that I think the fan edit on the right looks better and actually looks like that it could fit with the continuity of the original 2 seasons that much more better.

Anyways, like everyone else, I am disappointed that this is a 6-part movie series instead of an actual TV series like every other Digimon fan out there.
KamikazeJawa

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
lol reminds me of when people on /a/ were photoshopping Best Girl Rory's anime character design to make it look more like the original LN/manga version.
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
its still beyond me how different us western anime fans react to anime compared to Japanese anime fans. e.g. Madhouse treated as gods here, they never make the top 20 chart in japan in any week.... a weird difference
Ergo Proxy

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I said what there was to say about the design, but about the movies:
What is the problem with movies? 6 movies could be at the same length as a 30+ episodes series. Also, they have much more freedom with pacing, not having to unnessecarily put everything into 20+ minutes. I guarantee you, the pacing will feel great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5