• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon 2008 Dates Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:11 am Reply with quote
kuni_kuni wrote:

Fact remains, Otakon will be hard pressed to find another convenient location in the immediate area (what other convention center has so many hotels, restaurants, and tourists spots in close vicinity). The city itself, too, has already accepted the con, and with all the money it makes, they'll do anything to make sure it doesn't leave.

For $21 million in three days, City Officials would probably, quite happily, strip at City Council meetings.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:48 pm Reply with quote
kuni_kuni wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:
Lydia, being in the same spot there isn't always a good thing. Laughing Trust me, if there was another good venue near by I'd much rather have it there. I hate Baltimore with a passion. I can't stand the constant road work that never gets finished, the pot hole roads, the confusing street locations, and not to mention the BCC is not in a good part of town.

Oh please, the BCC is in one of the safest part of Baltimore city. I always laugh when con-goers talk about how dangerous Baltimore is after only visiting the Inner Harbor. Rolling Eyes You are nowhere near the dangerous area.

The area only had a bunch of homeless by the gallery mall on the way to the renaissance but that was it. Now if this con moves to DC....start the area talk. I didn't find a prob with the area really but if you are uneasy....

travel with a buddy

I went to get late night donuts or slurpees but NOT by myself. I had my crew with me or a friend. With a person you know watching your back you can handle the night. Hell if you're a forum friend that doesn't know walking distance ways I can be your night guide.

or

Take valubles back to your room in the day

If you are alone and dont want to walk back to your hotel with your rare box set or wallet of 500+ dollars go put it in your room and come back to the con before dark. I done this mainly because I didn't want to bag check at the rave but if you have barely anything of value to get mugged for why worry. But do carry a little funds if you want a midnight snack or a drink at the bar.

Most of the regular townfolk didn't bother any con folk based on what I seen and experienced. We did get a culture shocked new yorker vacationing in the area but me and my crew had a good conversation with them and he turned out to be a noob fan. Very Happy Plus tourists children was really amazed at cosplayers in the day.

I really like hotel cons better. You don't really have to leave the hotel if you don't want to. Everything is already there.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Eos wrote:
But anyway, I love Otakon, and plan on going again next year. It's my yearly big con trip (aside from a day or so at NEXT). Concerning hecklers, the biggest problem I witnessed came from the visiting Yankee fans last year, not so much preseason football folks. I was at the mall talking with some local women, and they commented "you costumed people come every year, we're used to you. It's these Yankee fans we can't stand. They're so rude!" Wink

Hey! I'm one of those who went to Otakon 2006 and watched the Yankee game at Camden Yard! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2