• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How to Destroy your Anime Backlog

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
My physical DVD/Bluray list is also numbered. This is so that, when I'm being indecisive (read: often), I can use a random number generator online and it'll pick what I go with next. I try to organize the list a bit so all the movies are together so it'll only pick a movie if I give it that range for example. Sometimes I might just say "first 26 ep series that gets picked wins" or 13 eps or whatever. Of course, if something strikes me then by all means, I'll just go ahead with it.
Xavi_

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm... allow me to summarize the entire article in one sentence:

"Keep a log, and update it accordingly to your preferences/needs."

Had to get that out of my chest, sorry Rolling Eyes
SejinPK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
This is a really good idea for an article!

One thing that I've been doing for a long time now that's saved me a lot of money is to only buy shows I know for a fact I like. That means watching them in their entirety online first. My taste and preferences have shifted and changed over time, and will probably continue to do so, so some of the things I buy now may eventually be sold later if I don't like them enough to keep them anymore, but the amount of anime that that happens to (and the amount of money wasted) is a LOT less than it would have been otherwise.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Great Coloum, just went over my backlog list (I had a summer dent in plan) this morning, I think it'll help alot. Especially with just knowing when to stop and move on to something else. Because I wanted to go through Gainax's works I tried to watch all of Nadia before I went to eva. Nadia was such a chore though that honestly took me nearly a year to finish and only recently did I just say F it. Now I've finished TV eva and am ready to get a move on.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote
My physical backlog is split into 2 separate categories:

Seen by other means - This covers stuff I've watched either via fansubs or streaming, borrowed off a friend etc etc, but liked enough to want to buy my own physical copy. Everything in here would therefore be a rewatch so is lower priority than...

Unseen by other means - This covers stuff I've not watched fansubbed or streaming, so this is the highest priority category, for obvious reasons.

At the moment, the 2 lists are about equal in size. I've been slowly chipping away at the unseen list. A friend and I watched X together over a couple of weekends.

My digital backlog is split into anime and drama, and fansubs and streams within those. The stuff in the fansub lists is old and/or not available to stream legally here.
Kurama4Ever!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
A word document? What wrong with using MAL. Heck even ANN has list options for tracking. Seems like a much easier way to keep track of things rather than write it down yourself. Great if you have a backup or save it on Dropbox, but otherwise if you watch a lot of anime and your computer crashes then you're out of luck.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I once heard a comedian on a BCC Radio 4 podcast sing a song about how "there's no such thing as "Must See TV!" But as much as I try to keep in mind that unless I was assigned media to read/watch/listen to by school (or work, I guess) I don't *need* to read/watch/listen to it, I still *want* to, and feel like I kind of *should*, thus backlog!

I have manga on my shelves that I bought and never read. I have manga that I *took out from the library* and never read--I'll just renew it ad infinitum until I read it or someone puts a hold on it--whichever comes first. I have shows I watched while they were first streaming, but missed the last few eps of at the end of the season and never finished watching, and they tug on my conscious for some reason.

I'm not sure about a list, because I feel that making it that concrete will make it seem like even more of a chore. But the "just sit down and watch!" idea is some good advice!

I have a question/suggestion for ANN--if we're all working on our backlogs and find a need to discuss an old series, should we start a new topic for that series, or do we "necropost" in the original series thread? It makes more sense to me that ANN revise their necroposting rules for these situations--some discussions are timeless, so it shouldn't matter if the last time someone posted was years ago if you can pick off where those posters left off and spark a new or continued discussion.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
@Agent355
See the first post under the necroposting guidelines thread. A dedicated series thread never times out. You can continue to post on the thread no matter how long ago the last post was.

You should use some judgment though. Don't try to answer a question or counter an opinion posted two years ago. Just make your own comments.
yaki-udon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I love Papuwa. I think Ami Shibata is a genius. I think Papuwa was the first shonen manga to have yaoi elements. I hope she becomes well known among manga fans in the US.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
My "to-watch" list is about 40-50 titles long (including movies and OVAs). I keep an actual list in Microsoft Word, and separate it into distinct sections: rewatch, seasonal (currently airing) and general. The vast majority are in general. Because it's summer I'm going to be able to knock out a lot from my backlog. Not all, or even half, but the ones on the top. I've already watched 4 TV anime so far, a few movies and an OVA. I'm currently working on Claymore, Trigun and the rest of JoJo's, and the top of my priority list are GITS: SAC, Seirei no Moribito, Gankutsuou and Katanagatari.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:41 pm Reply with quote
This article definitely relates to my love/hate relationship with MyAnimeList.
"Oh, look at all these clearly awesome anime and manga!!"
*adds to "Plan to Watch/Read" list*
*2 years later*
*Plan to Watch list at almost 200. Plan to Read List at almost 200*
"Ummmm...."
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Lots of great advice in this column.

Fortunately for me, I do not have a huge backlog. I have at most 25 shows and movies I am seriously interested in watching. I follow 10 new shows every season, and it is rare that I miss something noteworthy. As far as physical releases, I buy about 3 per month and watch them within 3 weeks of purchase.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
The closest thing I really have to a backlog is my 'plan to watch' list, which basically serves to be a list of things that I have an interest in so that I remember that they exist. It's pretty long, but that doesn't really bother me. It's not a problem for me to not finish everything on there. I'd much rather there be more anime worth it for me to watch than I have time for than find myself in a situation where I have no lands left to conquer.
Revy's MINE!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:03 am Reply with quote
While I do keep a running list (inventory actually) of everything I own, which is 99% of what I watch also, I watch anime almost exclusively. So finding time to fit in something new is rarely a problem as I'm not typically trying to push it in between episodes of 10 regular TV shows, 3 movies and a Stephen King novel. Mostly, regular TV and whatnot, except Game of Thrones & Shameless (HBO & Showtime respectively) are the shows I have to occasionally squeeze in at some point...but it normally works itself out pretty easily.

With almost 700 series on my shelves, I've gotten pretty good at the routine of buying what I want to watch, watching in no particular order (most of the time) and just keep popping them in until they're all watched. Usually before that round is finished a new order has arrived and it goes on the bottom of the pile - and they're watched the same way just as soon as I get to them.

Yeah, that stack can get a little tall sometimes but it is what it is. I'll get to them eventually. Bound to be a dry spell of buying now and again which allows for catch up and rewatching older titles I haven't seen in a while and/or stuff I wanna see again.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Did you put a show there not because it intrigued you, but because people were talking about it a lot back in Winter 2013 and you wanted to be part of the conversation? The ship sailed, take it off the list. You have to be merciless.

Do people really only watch something that's current (streaming/fansubbed)? Wouldn't this tactic mean that you'll never buy or watch DVD/BDs?

Personally, I've switched to marathon viewings of several episodes at a time for 2 or 3 shows concurrently at most. It's much, much more satisfying and I can actually keep track of details of the entire show. I also mix those shows up thematically, which mitigates burnout and boredom. If a show is episodic, like comedies or slice of life, I'll interleave an episode into viewings of serialized shows.

It's pretty amazing how much anime you can cram into a single viewing. Each episode, if you skip the OP and ED and next ep preview amounts to only 20 mins maximum. A little less if there are recaps at the beginning. That means in just 2 hours you can watch 6 episodes.

Since I do enjoy nearly everything I don't bother to keep a "to-watch" list and the only method I've found that works in addition to marathoning is to actually make time as Zac mentions. But for me this meant completely giving up watching TV or movies or doing anything too casual with friends, and never rewatching anything until at least several years or decade+ later. Even then it's still hard.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8