• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Street Survey Shows Childhood Friends Are Winning Love in the End

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:40 am Reply with quote
Well, for Japan social media may be helping romantic relationships, but in America I can say its having almost the exact opposite effect.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Chances are that taking a risk on your childhood friend could work out in your favor.

7 out of 50 that drops to 1 out of 50 over time kinda says the opposite about your chances of this actually working out.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
All this tells me is that Japanese people are less adventurous than other cultures. It seems to be part and parcel with how they are growing less and less likely to seek outside of Japan for work or for anything else.

Galapagos Island Syndrome, here we come!
lizardking461

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
This doesn't indicate that such couples are on the rise at all. Basic logic dictates that, by the time the people in such couples reach middle-age, there is going to be less couples comprised of such people than when they were 20 years younger.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Quote:
Chances are that taking a risk on your childhood friend could work out in your favor.

7 out of 50 that drops to 1 out of 50 over time kinda says the opposite about your chances of this actually working out.

I think you're misunderstanding something about what those numbers mean...
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
lizardking461 wrote:
This doesn't indicate that such couples are on the rise at all. Basic logic dictates that, by the time the people in such couples reach middle-age, there is going to be less couples comprised of such people than when they were 20 years younger.

So according to you marriages between childhood friends either have a higher death or divorce rate? And enough to account for the huge change?? I don't think so!

Personally I think the advent of email and cellphones has as much if not more impact as social media. Just imagine what would have happened in "5 cm per second" if as kids they had cellphones and skype?
xyz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
When I watch anime, drama or movies I always root for the childhood friend (like *cough* Tifa *cough*.) I believe it's an Asian thing. MC ends up with childhood friend will make Asians happy. MC ends up with the new girl will make Westerners happy. Something like that....
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote
It seems that childhood friends are the best mates in Japan unlike in anime where the childhood friend is the worst or the 2nd worst.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Tsubaki only had a chance with Kousei because spoiler[Kaori died. If she had lived they probably would have started dating.]

I was about to say the exact same thing.

Depends on the anime but yeah the point of childhood friend is to serve as a backup in case the protagonist doesn't fall for other characters. Or, like in FMA or YuYu Hakusho, the childhood friend is the default romantic lead so most of the plot doesn't waste time on the hero's love life.

But, I bet few of those couples ever had an extreme childhood where they met each other as babies or their moms met before they were born.

How about Chiwa from Oreshura? To be honest if it wasn't for the constraints for the the leads current situation they would be together especially after what happened at the end of the season between them.

Just pointing out that there are exceptions and a Childhood friend relationship development is nice when it is utilized correctly.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Japanese culture is very different from other parts of the world.

In the US, it would be difficult. Frankly, normal kids growing up are going change mentality when they hit their teens and late twenties. Finding out who they are individually.

Childhood friendship would be nice thing, but article is questionable to me. Japan is highly condensed country, with people living in tight quarters. Culture is caste style by tradition, not saying its exactly that.

Anyways, look at the currently population, I think their desperate for good news on families growing. Their population is graying faster, and kids aren't having enough kids of their own never mind finding a relationship.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Quote:

I think you're misunderstanding something about what those numbers mean...

Explain. I'd love to hear how someone sees 1/50 and takes that to mean that the 49/50 probably won't happen and the 1/50 probably will.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2