• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Code Geasscast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black Thunder 6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:30 am Reply with quote
jroa wrote:

Which reminds me...Hope's argument that the show breaks its own rules about Geass near the end does have an arguable counter.

Have you considered that maybe Lelouch thinks slavery is worse than death? It would certainly match his stated ideals. Most of his victims and targets just die after he uses Geass on them or the effect just ends after completing the command. Generally speaking, he doesn't want people to follow him like puppets through hypnosis as some sort of permanent condition. It would be easy, but it wouldn't fit his considerable pride nor his more noble intentions.

That's how he generally saw the BK and they pretty much followed through with that ideology in that regard till the end given how they were easily swayed by Schinzel to betray him based on less than substantial evidence and Viletta's lies they made his final act all the more convincing.

jroa wrote:

It's only when Lelouch himself is basically broken that he actually gives out "follow all of my orders" or "become my slave" commands. At that point, he is already thinking of killing himself in order to stop Charles or otherwise dying in the process of making himself look evil. All bets are off by then.

This just goes in the mentality of "its okay because he was depressed" or "its okay he was just testing it out" which the fandom tends to use to excuse his actions. Which all the more proves that they don't care who's right or wrong just who's the better clown.

jroa wrote:

I think both the actual content of the two hour podcast as well as Scamp's blog post on Mahouka prove that your comparison isn't really accurate.

Except the podcast and his blog post are going into how the shows deal with nationalism not characters
jroa wrote:

snip

Seems like you didn't actually bother to read my post. Didn't say that both were the same characters but follow the same archetype. Lelouch is far from an original character in fact all his mannerisms can be traced back to Char in fact both of their character arcs are practically the same with starting a revenge campaign which eventually turns to both of them becoming enemy of the world in their final stages.

jroa wrote:

Okouchi is problematic, yes, but I think he's basically doing what studios ask of him. Can't really say no to a check, I guess. I just wish he was able to do it in a better way. Not all of the simllar series are related to him though. Aldnoah Zero didn't have anyone from Code Geass on the staff.

A/Z wasn't trying to imitate Code Geass, it's roots are primarily inspired by Mobile Suit Gundam and the show becomes less of a battle between ideologies and more of a breaking down of one character because everyone else in that show is largely irrelevant to the narrative. I'll give you that was primarily the reason why he was hired to work on VVV with a vain attempt to recapture the same success through Aniplex instead of Bandai and that show does have the same sort of "throw everything but the kitchen sink" mentality Geass had but had less appealing and memorable characters.

jroa wrote:

snip

Of course Geass was a lot more subversive with its cast in comparison but did follow the same groundworks for those shows, he did the exact same thing with Micheal for GunxSword who is even more of a middle finger to Kira Yamato whereas Suzaku was actually a fully realized character and not a strawman who's convictions actually make sense within the compounds of the story and not just a physical a manifestation of a counterpoint to Lelouch.

jroa wrote:

Counter-point: Mōryō no Hako (2007).

Slight correction. The anime came out in 2008 that was the year the live action film and manga were released it was also an adaptation of at the time was a decade old mystery novel that aired on NTV in comparison Code Geass has a lot more exposure and a lot more elements that appealed to younger audiences and CLAMP's involvement did play a key given the success of the two artbooks they made for the show and the fact that they continue to make new art for it with the release of the BD Boxes. Obviously not just CLAMP was responsible for its success but it certainly did help a bit next to Kimura.

jroa wrote:

By the way, there are a few valid parallels between Lelouch and Charles, which even their voice actors noticed now that I can recall. That said, their plans have very different implications as Scamp brought up. There is something of a contest of supervillains during the last arc of R2, but not all of the participants are identical.

It was pretty much alluded in show that Schneizel was pretty much Lelouch if he had not discovered what his parents were actually doing which is one of the reasons why he was kept alive to be of use for Nunnally in fixing the world . As you said the show was transparent with its parallels and the reason why Lelouch is point against those two is because his ideal followed in the same line of those two but he chose to let the world fix itself rather than trying to do so himself in his own equally twisted way. I get Scamp's dilemma with presenting that the show does have its merit since a lot of people, Zan and Hope included, miss these significant aspects in its writing for the spectacle of it all which is largely in part to the show being a mess tonally because it wants to be taken seriously while entertaining the audience, it wants to have its cake and eat it too but stumbles a lot which is why people treat it the same way as Mother Dearest.

jroa wrote:

Well, I can assure you that Code Geass is not trying to show us a documentary of World War II.

But since you want to bring up history, the demonization processes of both Napoleon and Hitler did help create an era of relative and imperfect peace after their respective deaths. There was measurable progress in a manner of speaking. It just didn't last forever.

Wasn't the point I was coming across and there was more to those conflicts being abolished than the deaths of those two.

jroa wrote:

We would still get a very similar ending. Just with a different second season connecting the dots.

There wouldn't have been a second season since that just came about because executives saw how popular the show had gotten and extended it. Episode 26 was just an original scenario they had for the season finale not how the show would have ended.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
Karasu-Lacryma wrote:

Ah, that is true. I believe Funimation got the rights to it, I'm assuming they'll wait till it finishes before dubbing and/or releasing/streaming. I wish they'd at least try to create some more buzz for it in the mean time. Do they always wait till an OVA series finishes like this?

Gundam Unicorn although not published by Funimation, was not published all in one go. Each episode got released on its own year after year.
Akito is being released episode per episode in Italy for instance. No problem, except it's a long wait between episodes just like it was for Gundam Unicorn.
I think Funimation has doubts wether Akito will sell well in the US so they kick the ball down the road and hope. My idea is that the longer they wait the less interest there will be.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
Code Geass Season 1: A concert with great production values and a drunken band.
Code Geass Season 2: An even drunker (close to alcohol poisoning levels) encore.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the person asking the question about shows that present the idea of Japanese nationalism in a more thoughtful way - I'd recommend checking out the Un-Go tv series and ova.

It definitely sides against the current movement, but is far more subtle than the likes of Terror in Resonance (certainly less cardboard chewing villains and doomsday agendas). It is a foremost a mystery series, similar to this season's Ranpo Kitan, so the points it makes are (at least initially) presented as subtext through smaller arcs rather than a grand overriding narrative. It's pretty short series, so I'd recommend it if you have the time.
jroa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Black Thunder 6 wrote:

That's how he generally saw the BK and they pretty much followed through with that ideology in that regard till the end given how they were easily swayed by Schinzel to betray him based on less than substantial evidence and Viletta's lies they made his final act all the more convincing.

No, not really. That's what Schneizel makes the main Black Knights believe, with the aid of half-truths and incomplete information, but not the reality of the situation for 80-90% of the story.

Lelouch never used his Geass to make the Black Knights follow him like mindless puppets. Nor did he convince Suzaku to come over to his side with the use of Geass either.

In fact, the man actually went out of his way to appeal to the Black Knights with his bombastic speeches and led by example through his so-called "miracles" and putting himself on the line. That didn't require any magical hypnosis to create an army of slaves.

It worked pretty well for a while. The underlying flaw with this behavior was he didn't trust them enough and lied too much, but there was no shred of truth to the accusation until the last arc of the series.

Quote:
This just goes in the mentality of "its okay because he was depressed" or "its okay he was just testing it out" which the fandom tends to use to excuse his actions.

That's a misrepresentation of my statement. I never said it was okay from a moral perspective. Just explaining what caused Lelouch to take such actions and why he didn't do so before. Please don't try to put words in my mouth.

Quote:
Except the podcast and his blog post are going into how the shows deal with nationalism not characters.

Nope. Scamp explicitly addresses how the character of Tatsuya is very similar to the evil Britannian antagonists in Code Geass, not Lelouch.

Please read the following before jumping to conclusions:

http://thecartdriver.com/mahouka-is-terrible-on-every-level-a-final-review/

"Archetype" is a very general term. Every single fictional character can be classified into certain categories. But that doesn't make all of them identical.

If we're really going to play the originality game, then even Char is not original because, to use your own words, "all his mannerisms" can be traced back to the Robot Romance trilogy by Tadao Nagahama. That's actually a generalization as well, to be honest, but my point is such throwaway phrases are no replacement for proper character analysis in either case.

Quote:
A/Z wasn't trying to imitate Code Geass

Aldnoah Zero has a combination of elements from various sources: Mobile Suit Gundam, Code Geass and others. It's not too hard to tell that Inaho was another emotionless derivative of Lelouch. He's not really a version of Char or Amuro. Incidentally, Slaine had a number of things in common with Suzaku.

Quote:

It was pretty much alluded in show that Schneizel was pretty much Lelouch if he had not discovered what his parents were actually doing which is one of the reasons why he was kept alive to be of use for Nunnally in fixing the world .

Only to an extent. If you ever see Akito, there is a curious representation of how Lelouch would tend to act if he were never exiled to Japan and honestly believed in Britannian ideology.

But back to Schneizel. He does partially fulfill that role, so I think your point isn't without some merit. However, a big difference is Schneizel lacked any personal ambition and motivation to the point of making him another kind of sociopath.

Lelouch, even as a Britannian nobleman, would have more emotions than him. That's part of why I can agree with the criticism that Schneizel was more of a plot device than some of the other characters, even though he does participate in a few interesting scenarios.

Quote:
There wouldn't have been a second season since that just came about because executives saw how popular the show had gotten and extended it.

If the show had just been one season then they would have needed to make a ton of changes even before the halfway point in order to get to a similar conclusion in less episodes. Or else just come up with a rushed ending where they have Euphemia win, which would be "less dumb" in some ways but also far more anti-climatic.

Quote:
Episode 26 was just an original scenario they had for the season finale not how the show would have ended.

Not exactly. Episode 26 would have been the first episode of the second season. I wasn't even talking about making it the ending of the whole show.
Black Thunder 6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
snip

Once again your bad reading comprehension alludes you. No where did I say that Lelouch used his Geass on them just that he himself thought of them as nothing but puppets at his disposal given that he abandoned them at the end of S1 and showed no remorse for his actions when confronted with it in R2.

jroa wrote:
The underlying flaw with this behavior was he didn't trust them enough and lied too much, but there was no shred of truth to the accusation until the last arc of the series.

Wrong again. Their distrust for him is brought up in the beginning of R2 and they decide to hold off because he brought them results but this is dropped yet again after the Geass Cult extermination and when Ohgi met up with Viletta.

Quote:

That's a misrepresentation of my statement.

Its not. All you've been doing is making excuses for his actions like the fanbase always does "its okay that he mind controled them because they were drig dealers and he was sad" which is just a flimsy strawman.

Quote:
Except the podcast and his blog post are going into how the shows deal with nationalism not characters.

Quote:

Nope. Scamp explicitly addresses how the character of Tatsuya is very similar to the evil Britannian antagonists in Code Geass, not Lelouch.

Which is once again not what I said and I see you've backpedaled realizing that it was not brought up in the podcast like you originally said.

Quote:

And even in that link its once again going into the nationism and not the characterization.

Quote:
"Archetype" is a very general term. Every single fictional character can be classified into certain categories. But that doesn't make all of them identical.

Never said they were identical to begin with just that they follow the same archetype which they do.

Quote:
If we're really going to play the originality game, then even Char is not original because, to use your own words, "all his mannerisms" can be traced back to the Robot Romance trilogy by Tadao Nagahama.

Sorry kid but pointing out Char isn't original, and you're wrong btw his characterization didn't come from the villain in question and since I highly doubt you've watched any of those shows you wouldn't have made such a blanket comparison, doesnt change the fact that Lelouch was entirely based on HIS mannerisms which is why the show is described as Gundam with Char as the protagonist rather than something of its own and the creators DID NOT shy away from this given all the GUNDAM references in it.

Quote:
Aldnoah Zero has a combination of elements from various sources: Mobile Suit Gundam, Code Geass and others.

Nope mainly 0079 there's barely any Code Geass influence in it and whatever crap you spout it will always go back to Gundam. The president of A-1 pretty much stated that he wanted it to surpass Gundam so I'm not sure where Geass fits into this equation since Geass itself was just another product influenced by Gundam and at worse Gundam SEED/Destiny which was signficantly more popular and came out roughly the same time.

Quote:
It's not too hard to tell that Inaho was another emotionless derivative of Lelouch. He's not really a version of Char or Amuro. Incidentally, Slaine had a number of things in common with Suzaku.

Wow this is the dumbest thing you've stated in this argument, hell neither character are in the same archetype. Won't go into great detail as to why this assessment is wrong mainly due to the fact that Inaho has little to no character, has no actual emotions and doesn't even carry his show but I can already guess your response to this will be-

"Well they're smart and have eye related powers"

Which is entirely too vague to have any substantial argument hell Lelouch was incredibly emotional about everything, made mistakes and took every opportunity at had to achieve his goals. What's even more hilarious is that Slaine has more things in common with Lelouch yet you went to the predictable route of pairing up him up with Suzaku which I'll also finish your response with-

"Well they're an fighting their own side"

Which is also entirely too vague. Slaine's whole deal was that he had no ambition and hated himself for mainly his messed up life which the complete opposite of Suzaku who had a goal in mind and didn't think less of himself despite the hardships in life he brought upon himself in fact that hardships only made him more determined to see it through even if he knew it was impossible. In S2 Slaine constantly lies to people and himself and by the end puts himself at center stage so he can die thinking that his sins were too great for the world, gee that sure sounds familar.

Quote:

Only to an extent. If you ever see Akito, there is a curious representation of how Lelouch would tend to act if he were never exiled to Japan and honestly believed in Britannian ideology.

Which is...not that different from Schneizel given the plan he presented to Shin and the EU in that same episode.

Quote:
But back to Schneizel. He does partially fulfill that role, so I think your point isn't without some merit. However, a big difference is Schneizel lacked any personal ambition and motivation to the point of making him another kind of sociopath.

Wow that sounds a lot like Lelouch in the first episode before he gained a magical power to let anyone do what he desired, hell Kallen called him out on it in the Refrain episode where he criticized the Japanese in front of her and let's not forget all those times he just gave up. Its funny how he is exactly the same in the first episode of R2 again which shows how much of an opportunist he is and how he never would have went through with his goal had not the circumstances came into play. Obviously the big point in his character is that he does eventually becomes ambitious and sees fit to not let his brother's talents go to waste for the new world he created it just took many pitfalls for him to get there.

Quote:
If the show had just been one season then they would have needed to make a ton of changes even before the halfway point in order to get to a similar conclusion in less episodes. Or else just come up with a rushed ending where they have Euphemia win, which would be "less dumb" in some ways but also far more anti-climatic.

They said that there was already a lot of changes in the script during production so its not like what we saw in S1 was the original outline for the series either and they outright admitted that they had no plans for S2 and that it was originally suppose to be a 26 episode series so if stuff like the Mao arc felt like copious filler since his character never really amounts to anything nor is he a threat to Lelouch and it only displays how poorly written Shirley was since her memory gets rewritten three times in the course of the series then it was probably one of the additional baggage that was added to stretch out the season.
Quote:
Episode 26 was just an original scenario they had for the season finale not how the show would have ended.

Quote:

Not exactly. Episode 26 would have been the first episode of the second season. I wasn't even talking about making it the ending of the whole show.

Its Stage 26 meaning it was a season 1 episode, R2 had episode subheading of Turn meaning 26 was never gonna be the first episode of R2.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I think someone on my twitter feed put it best when they said that Code Geass was Gundam Wing for the next generation (people who got into anime around 2005). It was great when you were new to mecha and everything it did was brand new but its quickly overshadowed by better mecha series like Gurren Lagann, and you discover older bombastic series like Mobile Fighter G Gundam and GaoGaiGar.

The series doesn't even know what it wants to be, you have scenes like Lelouch hamming it up, then follow it up with battle scenes that wouldn't be out of place from Gundam Seed/Destiny. If you are going to have Suzaku run on walls why place him in a mecha that doesn't use his abilities to their full use.

Lets look at the debut of Suzaku's final mecha. This is supposed to be a battle of ace pilots and Suzaku has shown to have super strength, super agility, and what does the combat look like? A One sided battle in which Suzaku goes around shooting people while people make shocked faces at how powerful that mecha and Suzaku is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxsNAO9UAz0. Keep in mind that this is the battle where he kills three people who were supposed to be the best pilots in all of Britannia There's pretty much no difference between that and the Strike Freedom launch except that Fukuda and Morosawa are at least smart enough to use grunt mecha only instead of making the super elite soldiers look like complete jokes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpoBBfzL0QQ

Whats the point of having hammy acting, and over the top action when most of the battles are relatively boring scenes you already seen from better mecha series.

As for people saying "Wasn't Cornelia a great character" the problem with Cornelia is that she just disappears and comes back as a good guy. There's no discussion about why she changed, there's no scene where she uses her own experience to show that Britannia can change, she just acts like she was a good guy the entire time. That's writing I expect out of a professional wrestling program not a critically acclaimed anime.

The worst part is how the show constantly claims that the stakes are being raised when all they did was change the pilots Lelouch is fighting. Britannia brings in the best pilots they have? Most are killed fairly quickly. Lelouch forms a new organization to oppose Britannia? Its just the same guys his always had, the only real new addition the Black Knights get from season 1 is the guy from China. The entire UFN is pointless if their entire armed forces is just a bunch of Japanese people and one guy from China. Hell Lelouch's final plan is nothing more than the plan he had against Mao but it made sense against Mao because of his obsession with C.C while you cant possibly have faked a conversation with Schneizel because you cant guess what he was going to talk about.

In other words if you want to watch an anime about people being hammy just watch Gurren Lagann which has better characters, a plot that actually makes sense, and an ending that actually is different from the rest of the battles that made up the second half of the series.
jroa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Black Thunder 6 wrote:

Once again your bad reading comprehension alludes you. No where did I say that Lelouch used his Geass on them just that he himself thought of them as nothing but puppets at his disposal given that he abandoned them at the end of S1 and showed no remorse for his actions when confronted with it in R2.

You sure love to talk big about "reading comprehension" for someone who is misunderstanding why I brought that up. Calm down and take a deep breath.

This specific part of the discussion began when I was addressing what Hope said on the podcast, which was an issue about the rules for the use of Geass. Everything has to go back to that point, which is what you are seemingly ignoring.

No, you didn't claim that Lelouch did use Geass on them. But that fact is important too. If Lelouch truly was exactly the sort of person you claim he is, the man could have easily used Geass without any hesitation. That would be the obvious way for him to create a loyal army if Lelouch really did initially see everyone else as just a potential puppet.

Yet he didn't. He only starts doing that near the end of the show, when he has already crossed the line. That's why he is breaking the unspoken rule, so to speak, of how to use the Geass. Bringing up the situation at the end of S1, where he did suddenly drop everything because his sister was in peril, doesn't really address the specific question under discussion. That was a matter of priorities, indeed, but not of seeing them as mindless puppets. It had nothing to do with that.

The fact he didn't explain himself to the Black Knights upon his return in R2 has to do with the utter lack of trust in them he displayed on a number of occasions, but not with Lelouch having any previous desire to enslave his army of people with absolute commands such as "follow me!" or whatever.

In other words, he didn't treat them as actual puppets. Just as a subordinate group of people he was there to lead, not trust. They certainly weren't his equals. Did he manipulate them? Yes, but not in the Geass-related manner that I was bringing up in the context of Hope's statement.

That nuance is important. In fact, Lelouch constantly fails to explain himself and lies even those he truly appreciates. Like Nunnally herself. Yet he doesn't use as her as a puppet either, so there is an implicit flaw in your logic.

Quote:
Wrong again. Their distrust for him is brought up in the beginning of R2 and they decide to hold off because he brought them results but this is dropped yet again after the Geass Cult extermination and when Ohgi met up with Viletta.

Again, we're talking about two distinct issues here. The Black Knights didn't know about Geass until Schneizel and Ohgi told them. Their earlier mistrust had nothing to do with any concern for being turned into mindless slaves by his power (which is only even slightly true when, again, Lelouch finally decides to throw around that kind of command). That's what I am referring to.

Quote:
Its not. All you've been doing is making excuses for his actions like the fanbase always does "its okay that he mind controled them because they were drig dealers and he was sad" which is just a flimsy strawman.

You seem to have a lot of trouble noticing the important difference between "explain" and "excuse" here.

There is nothing in my actual statements or opinions that inherently excuses Lelouch, unless you want to automatically accuse me of what a completely different group of people have done.

I have merely provided explanations for Lelouch's actions, because they exist and are possible, but he is still a very ugly person in terms of morality who deserves to be criticized.

I don't even think the scene with the drug dealers was "okay" if that's what you are claiming now. Again, don't put words in my mouth.

Quote:
Which is once again not what I said and I see you've backpedaled realizing that it was not brought up in the podcast like you originally said.

Here's a brilliant idea: Why don't you let Zac and Hope (as well as anyone else who reads this) decide if I'm right or wrong about the contents of their own podcast?

Quote:
And even in that link its once again going into the nationism and not the characterization.

Except...Scamp does talk about characterization in that post.

You were the one making accusations about reading comprehension before, weren't you?

Quote:
Never said they were identical to begin with just that they follow the same archetype which they do.

Okay?

Quote:
Sorry kid but pointing out Char isn't original, and you're wrong btw his characterization didn't come from the villain in question

Really? For curiosity's sake, I'd like you to briefly analyze the villains in that trilogy and compare them to Char.

Besides, you're missing my point at the end of that paragraph.

Quote:
Nope mainly 0079 there's barely any Code Geass influence in it and whatever crap you spout it will always go back to Gundam.

You know, it's hard to seriously argue with someone who doesn't want to be polite.

Quote:
..which I'll also finish your response with...

Sadly, you're not Joseph Joestar so your sloppy attempt to "finish my responses" is actually less accurate and more annoying.

Don't rush to conclusions. In fact, I agree that Inaho's lack of emotions make him a far worse character than Lelouch. I'm criticizing him for that. It's a huge character difference too. But they are similar in terms of their role: teenage "geniuses" who use their brains against an invading force with superior firepower. That particular concept sure didn't come from any character in 0079, where Amuro and Char happen to be pilots with access to weapons of equivalent power. In other words, it's not difficult to imagine Aldnoah Zero was at least partially inspired by this show.

I never said Slaine was exactly like Suzaku either. Just that they are comparable. You can also compare a few of his actions to Lelouch's too. But it's funny you claim Slaine hated himself and Suzaku didn't, when Kururugi has a martyr complex. That's not indicative of a healthy love for one's own existence.

Quote:
Which is...not that different from Schneizel given the plan he presented to Shin and the EU in that same episode.

Indeed. The key difference is Schneizel wasn't very emotional. You don't see him feeling desperate or even really enjoying talking in a bombastic way.

Quote:

Wow that sounds a lot like Lelouch in the first episode before he gained a magical power to let anyone do what he desired

The important difference is pre-Geass Lelouch was still someone who loved Nunnally, cared for his friends and tried to save other people while hoping to rise in rebellion one day. Schneizel was completely content to serve the Britannian system and had no such personal baggage. He doesn't seem to care too much for anyone in particular.

Do keep in mind that Lelouch's criticism of the Japanese during that talk with Kallen was mostly a lie, since he was already acting in favor of them as Zero and thus not content with the status quo.

Last edited by jroa on Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I would have to say that Shirley had the saddest death because she was one of the most decent (even if she was quite clueless) and kind-heated characters.
jroa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
It was great when you were new to mecha and everything it did was brand new but its quickly overshadowed by better mecha series like Gurren Lagann,

Or you can like both of those and have a grand old time. In fact, Gurren Lagann did not really overshadow Code Geass. Especially since they actually share a lot of the same fans, regardless of their particular age group. For that matter, they're not necessarily "older" or more "mature" for liking Gurren Lagann either.

Quote:
The series doesn't even know what it wants to be, you have scenes like Lelouch hamming it up, then follow it up with battle scenes that wouldn't be out of place from Gundam Seed/Destiny. If you are going to have Suzaku run on walls why place him in a mecha that doesn't use his abilities to their full use.

That's a very silly complaint. There's no real contradiction between having over-the-top speech and including various kinds of mecha battle scenes. Especially given that overpowered robots are also present in many other mecha shows regardless of how their voice acting is presented.

Given that you mention Suzaku, he actually has one of the most agile and versatile mecha in the series. The robot itself does spinkicks even from the first or second episode of the show, which matches Suzaku's own physical skills. That seems entirely appropriate to me.

Quote:
Keep in mind that this is the battle where he kills three people who were supposed to be the best pilots in all of Britannia

Do you seriously want to argue that there is something unusual about having a new robot debut in a manner that actively showcases its technological superiority? Or that this sort of "new power-up overpowering the enemy's special team" sequence was invented or portrayed exclusively by the likes of Gundam SEED? I'm curious.

That sounds like a strange reasoning to me, especially if you actually consider the context. This particular battle was not meant to be a "duel of ace pilots" but rather the opposite: a slaughter.

Suzaku had full access to the best technology in Britannia while his enemies had recently lost their noble status and were launching a desperate attack with all the forces they had left. They were already losing before the battle had started. Emperor Lelouch intended to sweep them away to consolidate his control over Britannia. What better way than to throw the most powerful robot in the entire country against them? It would be absurd if he didn't make use of his technological resources.

Since we're talking about the Knights of the Round here...I wouldn't forget that Suzaku is also one of them. In fact, he's probably better than all of them put together. They are definitely more skilled than grunt pilots, based on their earlier battle scenes that weren't so one-sided, but there is nothing that will guarantee their survival in the face of an opponent who has a much stronger weapon.

Honestly, I feel this is like complaining about how Goku easily defeats most of the Ginyu Force. The real duel of aces comes later. In the case of Code Geass, the final episode had a much better battle sequence between two opponents with a similar level of technology. That's what the show was actually concerned about building up by then.

Quote:
Whats the point of having hammy acting, and over the top action when most of the battles are relatively boring scenes you already seen from better mecha series.

It's a matter of opinion since there are always battle scenes of varying quality in mecha anime. And what does over-the-top acting have to do with any of that? Essentially nothing.

Quote:

As for people saying "Wasn't Cornelia a great character" the problem with Cornelia is that she just disappears and comes back as a good guy. There's no discussion about why she changed, there's no scene where she uses her own experience to show that Britannia can change, she just acts like she was a good guy the entire time.

I believe that Cornelia wasn't "good" in that sense. She was simply interested in finding out about Geass for more or less obvious reasons. That's relatively easy to figure out: Cornelia changed her priorities in life because her dear sister had died.

It's admittedly too bad they didn't manage to use the character in a better way after that point, which was disappointing and it did bother me, but I wasn't confused by Cornelia's behavior. After all, we already saw just how hard Euphemia's death hit her.

Quote:
Hell Lelouch's final plan is nothing more than the plan he had against Mao but it made sense against Mao because of his obsession with C.C while you can't possibly have faked a conversation with Schneizel because you can't guess what he was going to talk about.

Aside from the fact that Code Geass was always lacking in realism from the start, all Lelouch needed to figure out was that Schneizel would disagree with his arguments. Which isn't difficult to imagine, in my opinion, especially since Lelouch had already dealt with Schneizel (and his plans) several times throughout the series. He knew his personality wouldn't be in favor of Lelouch's idealism. Mao was less intelligent, obviously, but Schneizel wasn't all that complex either.

Quote:

In other words if you want to watch an anime about people being hammy just watch Gurren Lagann which has better characters, a plot that actually makes sense, and an ending that actually is different from the rest of the battles that made up the second half of the series.

I do love Gurren Lagann, though I don't think its characters are particularly better. There's less chaff, I guess, but plot devices still abound within the cast. The plot is more straightforward along typical Super Robot anime lines, indeed, yet even Code Geass is rather simple in terms of story when you can see the whole thing. The crazy plot twists don't really make it nonsensical, which I think the podcast discussed well enough.

I also don't think the ending of TTGL was anything more than a predictable extrapolation of previous events. With the possible exception of a certain scene in the epilogue, but that's controversial for its own reasons.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Its not a problem that the Knights of the Round are so desperate for pilots that Suzaku is better than all of the others combined? Why should I care about any pilots other than Kallen and Suzaku when the others dont matter? Why is Okouchi and Taniguchi wasting my time showing Gino when nothing he does matters? Why waste my time by creating Bootleg King Bradley if they were just going to kill him off in a meaningless three minute battle? It makes Britannia look pathetic when you basically just state they only had one pilot that was an actual threat.

Imagine if the Kyoto Arc of Rurouni Kenshin just had a scene where Kenshin wiped out 7 of the ten swords just so we could get to the battle with Shishio a little bit faster.

If you want me to think that the main characters are special than you have to make the villains look like they are a threat.

Fullmetal Alchemist is one of the best anime out there because the Homunculus were all a threat. People remember Mobile Suit Gundam because they had all those kickass Zeon ace pilots like Ranbal Ral, the Black Tri-Stars, and Char Aznable. The reason why I love G Gundam as much as I do is because they made a Gundam that looks like a Tuna Fish look like a complete badass.
jroa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Its not a problem that the Knights of the Round are so desperate for pilots that Suzaku is better than all of the others combined? Why should I care about any pilots other than Kallen and Suzaku when the others don't matter?

On the contrary, I think that battle simply served to prove that cutting edge technology and easy access to resources are more important than just fame and personal piloting skill.

Which is fully consistent with how the show had portrayed earlier battles between the original Lancelot and everything weaker than it. If the technology level isn't equal, then the fight just isn't going to be fair.

To put it another way, here's an example of Hollywood applying the same principle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mur-c5IiWJI

You could say that's okay because it was meant to be fairly comedic, but then I'd argue that easily goes for the whole "It's Suzaku Kuru-*EXPLODES*!" part of the mecha scene too. Dark humor was absolutely not an alien concept to the creators of this show. If you don't think those people wanted such things to be amusing, then you just haven't realized how silly they could be about this project at times.

Besides, I think Bismark wasn't that mistreated in comparison. His ultimate fate was the same, since future sight isn't really going to make your robot's specs any better, but he got more actual combat time both before and during this event. Three minutes is too little for you, but for me that's not an issue. I'm absolutely satisfied by the mecha battle in R2 25, which was the truly important one in that arc.

Once again, the Knights of the Round were cut off from the center of Britannian military power and scientific research as soon as Emperor Lelouch took over and Schneizel decided to wait things out instead of immediately fighting against the usurper. The last time the Knights of the Round were relevant as adversaries was during the Second Battle of Tokyo and even then we saw that technology was important.

Yet another example: it's exactly the same as martial arts shows and secret techniques that make light of many foes. Think Dragon Ball Z and Fist of the North Star. Goku and Kenshiro defeat plenty of technically strong individuals rather hilariously quickly, until they run into their true rivals. You mention the Kyoto Arc, but you don't recall that Kenshin gets to deal with less impressive enemies both before and after that arc. The equivalent of the Ten Swords isn't the Knights of the Round, because the show wasn't structured that way.

Gino isn't important even by the narrative's own standards. I agree that he was boring and not useful. They could have removed him and used the time more wisely. But frankly, I don't see why you need to care about every single named enemy who gets to show up in a few episodes to play an unimportant role..

Once again, the "real threat" left to defeat in this scenario weren't the Knights of the Round. They became useless in strategic terms once Britannia wasn't backing them anymore. It was only the UFN and the Black Knights, especially Kallen herself, who was properly built up as a rival to Suzaku and their robots were of similar strength.

There's plenty of throwaway named pilots in Gundam even though they're supposed to be "aces" from an in-universe perspective, so let's not imply everyone on the enemy side is as awesome as Char or Ramba Ral. You get far less memorable and less effective people in Zeon too.

Last edited by jroa on Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Black Thunder 6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
snip

And yet you still didn't get the fact that he used people as puppets without magic. Is the notion of someone using someone without magic above your understanding or do you just continue to miss the point of the conversation?

No he did not have any lingering regret towards his former comrades and he didn't explain himself because that was after he thought Nunnally died so he didn't care at all what had happened to him at that moment which is why he pushed Kallen away.

Quote:

You seem to have a lot of trouble noticing the important difference between "explain" and "excuse" here.

There is nothing in my actual statements or opinions that inherently excuses Lelouch, unless you want to automatically accuse me of what a completely different group of people have done.

You excusing his use of the Geass against drug dealers because he was sad is not an excuse?

Quote:

Here's a brilliant idea: Why don't you let Zac and Hope (as well as anyone else who reads this) decide if I'm right or wrong about the contents of their own podcast?

Only mention of Mahouka was in regards to the nationalism not the characters.

Quote:

Except...Scamp does talk about characterization in that post.

Quote:
Sorry kid but pointing out Char isn't original, and you're wrong btw his characterization didn't come from the villain in question

Really? For curiosity's sake, I'd like you to briefly analyze the villains in that trilogy and compare them to Char.

Garuda and Heinel are nothing like but given how your analysis of A/Z and CG being similar is that both have leads who are smart I wouldn't be surprise if your conclusion to Char being a ripoff of Heinsel is that they both have blonde hair.

Quote:

You know, it's hard to seriously argue with someone who doesn't want to be polite.

Kinda hard to argue seriously with someone if they continue to remain ignorant like you.

Quote:

Sadly, you're not Joseph Joestar so your sloppy attempt to "finish my responses" is actually less accurate and more annoying.

Don't rush to conclusions. In fact, I agree that Inaho's lack of emotions make him a far worse character than Lelouch. I'm criticizing him for that. It's a huge character difference too. But they are similar in terms of their role: teenage "geniuses" who use their brains against an invading force with superior firepower. That particular concept sure didn't come from any character in 0079, where Amuro and Char happen to be pilots with access to weapons of equivalent power. In other words, it's not difficult to imagine Aldnoah Zero was at least partially inspired by this show.

And what do you know you did EXACTLY what I said you would do. Rolling Eyes

It's really hard to take anything you say seriously when you've constantly proven to me how inept you are at actually reading comments. But hey! Your stupid logic dictates that Code Geass was the only show with a smart protagonist...ever so that's why A/Z is inspired by Code Geass. I really wish I was making this up people but they are people here who truly believe this. You're also unsurprisingly wrong in that last bit with Amuro and Char because if you had actually watched 0079 you would see that Amuro constantly had to fight at odds against people who were better than him and by the end of the series his MS was actually outdated and he was using his wits and skills to make it through battles not just the power of the machine. But honestly any idiot can tell you that the comparison is filmsy by the sheer fact that Lelouch was known as being a terrible pilot in show so there goes your argument.

Quote:

I never said Slaine was exactly like Suzaku either. Just that they are comparable. You can also compare a few of his actions to Lelouch's too. But it's funny you claim Slaine hated himself and Suzaku didn't, when Kururugi has a martyr complex. That's not indicative of a healthy love for one's own existence.

Yes you did and I proved you wrong also having a martyr complex is not the same as loathing one's self. Suzaku believed that he should have been punished for killing his father and thought that the only way to atone was through his death but he was still strong enough to not bring himself to depression over it, he didn't hate himself but it seems like you're among the many who didn't get his character.

Quote:
snip

Wrong on all accounts. Schneizel does care we saw this in the final episode where he spared Cornelia instead of leaving her for dead which was his own twisted way of getting her off the Damocles and he wasn't all for the Britannian system either given how he approved of Euphie's special zone and gave Suzaku his blessing despite being of Japanese heritage. The man was above all signs of expression which made him hard to read but at the same time he was an engima who did things of his own accord rather than following the system placed upon him which is why Lelouch saw best to geass him in order for his abilities to be of use for Nunnally in the new world rather than die a fruitless death.

Quote:
...but he left Nunnally to die

And Lelouch killed Clovis. Not so different are we?

And Kallen called him out for his lackadaisical expression over the whole issue despite knowing it himself of course this was before she actually knew his identity.

jroa wrote:

Once again, the "real threat" left to defeat in this scenario weren't the Knights of the Round. They became useless in strategic terms once Britannia wasn't backing them anymore. It was only the UFN and the Black Knights, especially Kallen herself, who was properly built up as a rival to Suzaku.

Who were also useless fodder even Kallen is worthless herself given that she winds up being yet another tool in ZR.

Quote:

There's plenty of throwaway named pilots in Gundam even though they're supposed to be "aces" from an in-universe perspective, so let's not imply everyone on the enemy side is as awesome as Char or Ramba Ral. You get far less memorable and less effective people in Zeon too.

Going back to 0079 again we get cool characters like M'Queve, Gaia and the Black Tri Stars who are pull up a good fight against Amuro in comparison to Code Geass where none of the BK are competent, where the vast majority of the KoR wind up being useless with one of the most hilarious instances of lazy writing where they had to create a new character on the fly to be destroyed like nothing and another character who doesn't even get her own custom KMF.
jroa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Black Thunder 6 wrote:
And yet you still didn't get the fact that he used people as puppets without magic. Is the notion of someone using someone without magic above your understanding or do you just continue to miss the point of the conversation?

Unfortunately for you, the point of the conversation was what Hope said during the podcast and my response to it. If it makes your ego feel better, then sure: Lelouch treats them as "puppets" in a sense through his manipulation.

Which I have already acknowledged, but that wasn't what I was really talking about in the first place. So you've made me waste my time, to be quite honest. I guess it wasn't too bad until you began to go wild though.

Quote:

You excusing his use of the Geass against drug dealers because he was sad is not an excuse?

I've never said that, so you're just like Don Quixote tilting at windmills.

Quote:

Yeah, right. I guess this settles it: you aren't arguing in good faith here.

Quote:
Garuda and Heinel are nothing like but given how your analysis of A/Z and CG being similar is that both have leads who are smart I wouldn't be surprise if your conclusion to Char being a ripoff of Heinsel is that they both have blonde hair.

Do I really need to spell out that you're missing the point by a mile?

Quote:

Kinda hard to argue seriously with someone if they continue to remain ignorant like you.

Well, this sure is a good example of quality forum behavior on your part.

Quote:

It's really hard to take anything you say seriously when you've constantly proven to me how inept you are at actually reading comments.

The absolute irony of this statement just slays me. The pot calling the kettle black.

Quote:
But hey! Your stupid logic dictates that Code Geass was the only show with a smart protagonist...ever so that's why A/Z is inspired by Code Geass.

That wasn't what I said. But hey, it wouldn't matter to you either way.

You've also missed the whole point of why I brought up Amuro and Char in the context of discussing Aldnoah Zero.

Quote:
Yes you did and I proved you wrong also having a martyr complex is not the same as loathing one's self.

No comment.

Quote:

And Lelouch killed Clovis. Not so different are we?

I don't even know who or what you are quoting here.

Quote:
Who were also useless fodder even Kallen is worthless herself given that she winds up being yet another tool in ZR.

That has very little to do with what I was getting at.

Quote:
Going back to 0079 again we get cool characters like M'Queve, Gaia and the Black Tri Stars who are pull up a good fight against Amuro in comparison to Code Geass where none of the BK are competent, where the vast majority of the KoR wind up being useless with one of the most hilarious instances of lazy writing where they had to create a new character on the fly to be destroyed like nothing and another character who doesn't even get her own custom KMF.

Tell you what: I'll only give you my answer to this if Charred Knight comes out and explicitly endorses your comment. I'd find that funny.

Otherwise....*WATER DROP*
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:28 am Reply with quote
OK. quit the dogfighting jroa and Black Thunder 6. You can disagree, even strongly, but it's not the best idea to insult each other in the process.

TarsTarkas wrote:
@Galap

You could say the same thing for the "Force".

Geass was this series "Magic". Hardly anyone explains were magic comes from.

Right, but in Star Wars we see something of the Jedi council and things like that, how the presence of the force has impacted and manifested their civilization over time. And even so I didn't really like how they didn't go so much into that, either.

jroa wrote:

Galap wrote:
To me this would be a lot less of a problem if they went into what geass really was, why it existed, and how it led to or is connected with the other differences that exist between their world and ours.

I'm getting the feeling that Akito the Exiled is going to try and explain something more about Geass. Whether that's a good idea or not is hard to tell at this point.

Without specific spoilers...there's a sequence in Chapter 3 that suggests there's more to the lore than what the TV series suggested and I assume this will be expanded in the fifth OVA.

Well, that seems pretty likely. I'm liking Akito the Exiled a lot more than the original series (which I also did like, don't get me wrong.), and knowing Kazuki Akane's sensibilities, I wouldn't be surprised if he were to go more into the setting development. He's already done so much more with it in 3 hour long movies than the series did in 50 episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7