• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma [2015-04-11]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
I can 100% say wholeheartedly that Megumi is the absoulte best girl.

I had my doubts about her earlier. It seemed like she was an Asahina type character that reacts to every situation with trembling and sniveling. She still does that to a certain extent but the way they played her up it is great to see her vindicated in the face of Miyoko.

I had expected this episode to reveal Soma's winner but I guess we have to wait for yet another episode. This is like watching Bleach again.

What I still don't get is how the judges are supposed to eat 30 servings of curry in one sitting. If it was me I'd be puking after the fourth one no matter how good it was.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, ordinarily, in these kinds of competitions, they don't eat the whole thing each time.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:28 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
What I still don't get is how the judges are supposed to eat 30 servings of curry in one sitting. If it was me I'd be puking after the fourth one no matter how good it was.

The portions are likely smaller than you think, and they're likely eating no more than a bite or two of most dishes.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:55 am Reply with quote
I'm actually glad we're getting a break from awesome Soma and his awesome awesomeness for a bit...Megumi's grown on me and i enjoy finding out more about the side characters and i rather like watching the tasting, it makes my mouth water every time. Smile
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:42 am Reply with quote
How is it the best cook in her family's restaurant was the lowest-ranked student in her class, almost flunking out?....

Random trivia: "Houbee Foods" is a port-manteau of House Foods and Calbee.... two real food companies that make curry.
Kreion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:06 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
How is it the best cook in her family's restaurant was the lowest-ranked student in her class, almost flunking out?....

Random trivia: "Houbee Foods" is a port-manteau of House Foods and Calbee.... two real food companies that make curry.

Her family doesn't run a restaurant, it runs a ryokan, which is more like an inn. So the food is a part of it but I'd hardly say the focus - also the level of skill between a random inn and the most decorated school in the country for cooking is obviously going to be pretty large.

Finally, megumi's issue has always been her confidence - she hasn't improved her cooking since meeting Soma so much as just started believing in her own cooking.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:43 am Reply with quote
A ryokan is basically a restaurant where people stay overnight, but yes, technically not a restaurant. She was still besting professional chefs by the time was 12, if you take that lady's words at face value.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:47 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Well, ordinarily, in these kinds of competitions, they don't eat the whole thing each time.

The fact that they are finishing the dishes is a sign of how good it is.

That said, I would be kind of annoyed if they didn't take at least one bite of every element of the dish...

On another note, did anyone else think Alice grew about two cup sizes since the last time she showed up?
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
You were saying how we haven't seen Soma for a while and the show is struggling without its "Protagonists."

I think the show has multiple protagonists, a main cast. Like with One Piece and Fairy Tail, there is the main team.

Luffy's got Zoro, Sanji and the rest of the crew.

Natsu has Lucy, Erza, Gray, Wendy and a handful of more rotating team members.

Food Wars has a "Main Team" so to speak, multiple characters we want to see succeed, Soma, Megumi, The Aldini brothers, Ikumi

Later the main cast expands to include spoiler[the entire top 8 + Erina if you look at the baseball cover spread from a few months ago you can see the "Main Cast" of the series]

So I think Food Wars is more like a classic Shonen with a large set of protagonist and just one "Lead" and it's okay to drift from the lead from time to time.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
It could be bad for audience retention in some series though. Toei doesn't like to use One Piece chapter title stories for filler arcs because ratings sank each time they did so, for instance.

It certainly didn't hurt Hey Arnold!, The Simpsons, or My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic though, which constantly would have episodes with a non-protagonist main character in the center. For Hey Arnold!, there were more episodes dealing with a side or even secondary character than Arnold himself. (Japanese FiM fans even joke about Twilight's long absences from the spotlight.)

But it all comes down to the series. Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma has proven to be able to keep up in the WSJ rankings when Soma's not in it.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I strongly disagree with the reviewer's take and rating on episode 22 except for three things:

1. The little red riding hood segment seemed unnecessary to me and quite disonant in tone with the rest of the episode.
2. Alice's dish was indeed the most interesting entry in the contest so far.
3. Megumi is a beautiful character.

Yes, the show clearly follows a structure and this episode featured multiple sequences that follow a pattern. But this series never lied about what it was: a retro inspirational shonen about people aiming to be the best chef spiced up with modern character designs and exaggerated reactions for our entertainment. And I think it continues to execute its tropes and formula almost flawlessly.

This episode was no different: great pacing, awesome soundtrack (it's emotional when it has to be, it's funny when the situation allows it), good variation regarding each cooking entry and strong, consistent character development considering how much you can do with 22 minutes per week. Even the secondary characters get satisfying character arcs!!
Which is why I don't see how it's possible to miss Soma at all. We'll get to him and his cheerful cockiness, but I'm not anxious to reach that point since I'm also having so much fun with everyone else in the cast. Finally, I have to say it's refreshing to watch a series where several female characters are as interesting as the male ones and they do not depend on their pretty appearence alone.

To older viewers this series may remind them of Yakitate Japan! in more than one aspect. But while that one started out strongly, it steadily deteriorated into nonsense and it lacked some of Food Wars' strongest assets.

Anyway this is just two persons with a different view on a single show. The real problem is the fact that the series isn't doing so well in the sales department and I'm sadly expecting this one to end on a "and the adventure continues" kind of note.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
This should be pinned as an example of how to disagree with a review. No insults or outrage, just stating your points of agreement and disagreement with clear reasons given.

Nicely done!
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, Gina Szanboti - ryanvamp, your post is excellent. You've also pointed out something that I've somehow neglected to, even though it's one of the reasons I enjoy this show: that the females are all actual characters, not just eye candy.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Considering that this is an adaptation of a Weekly Shounen Jump series, the disc sales are less of a concern. The key thing to look at is the general popularity of the series, along with how the sales of the manga are trending.
Fortunately, the manga is a success trending upward, with a noticable gain from the anime. According to Shueisha's recent practice with their WSJ properties, that means that a second season is a near lock to happen.
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:10 am Reply with quote
If this does get a second season, can we send them some pictures of actual girls with breasts for breast physics research? Because seriously, this show fails on every level of breast attachment and movement natural laws. Worse than most anything I've seen lately, including Saekano. At this point, I'd be down to put on a white coat and jump up and down for the cause if it would make a difference.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 19