• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Times Anime Went Full Halloween

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
The entire anime Tweeny Witches could be considered Halloween-esque since the entire show revolves around witches. And has an overall halloween vibe and aesthetic.
If we're including any anime with a witch theme, I think Kiki's Delivery Service would be the perfect anime for kids on Halloween. The first season of Digimon also has Sora and Joe at a Bakemon festival that I think would work for Halloween too. Then there's the episode of Cardcaptor Sakura where Sakura captures the Erase card that features her going on a test of courage.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:03 pm Reply with quote
ralphmerridew wrote:
Umineko Episode 2: Turn of the Golden Witch has a Halloween party.

I was just going to suggest this too, kehehehehehehehe
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maxs2d2ace

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
HOW DID SOUL EATER NOT MAKE THE LIST!! Every episode is full of western style halloween monsters. The first episode alone is a halloween classic to me.
Heck if you youtube "soul eater this is halloween", you will find a 9 million hit video.
Korogoro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Soul Eater would have been nice but what about Kekkai Sensen? I'm pretty sure KS is a good Halloween anime, the final episode even took place in Halloween!
As for the new poll: My favorite work of Satoshi is definitely Millennium Actress, every single thing about it was great, even the soundtrack (Joe Hisaishi = definitely a good soundtrack).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
When I watched Knockin' on Heaven's Door, I didn't realize that Halloween was not a widely-celebrated thing in Japan, and I just didn't pay it any mind that they had a Halloween festival going on. Hence, it wasn't notable to me in the least. Near every western TV series has had a Halloween episode, so it didn't strike me as anything odd that Cowboy Bebop would have one too.

As for the survey, I voted for Tokyo Godfathers. When I saw it, I DID know Tokyo has a pretty sizable homeless population they try to keep people from knowing about. The story was great too.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote
This was an interesting list. I didn't know that they were celebrating Halloween in Japan. It's always interesting to see how foreigners will do American things like Halloween and since it's mostly a fun holiday,who knows what the Japanese will do?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

As for the survey, I voted for Tokyo Godfathers. When I saw it, I DID know Tokyo has a pretty sizable homeless population they try to keep people from knowing about. The story was great too.

I also voted for Tokyo Godfathers. For me out of all of them it had the biggest emotional impact. It had the most heart warming story as well. I really liked Paprika and Perfect Blue but Tokyo Godfather's gets the vote. Good movie for the upcoming holidays as well.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:06 am Reply with quote
Soul Eater is essentially a continuous Halloween set in Nevada. Shinigami-sama actually looks reminds of an American depiction of a grim reaper on acid.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:42 am Reply with quote
My roommates and I sat down and watched Cowboy Bebop the movie, since it's what I consider to be my Halloween movie because I'm too much of a wimp for horror movies. Anime hyper
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I also came to complain that Soul Eater wasn't number 1. When I think of Halloween and anime, Soul Eater's the first show that comes to mind. But I guess they don't actually reference Halloween in the show (it'd be too meta, probably), so it doesn't count.

I voted for Tokyo Godfathers, but I haven't seen or read all of Kon's work. The fact that so much of it is unavailable in North America right now is very unfortunate.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
This was an interesting list. I didn't know that they were celebrating Halloween in Japan. It's always interesting to see how foreigners will do American things like Halloween and since it's mostly a fun holiday,who knows what the Japanese will do?

I was in Japan this September and was really surprised at how many stores had Halloween merchandise set up. The one aspect of Halloween that still hasn't really caught on there is trick or treating.

Although not a full-blown Halloween episode, the first episode of Giant Gorg does take place during it. The main characters actually use Halloween costumes and participate in a parade to evade being caught by the antagonists.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Trick-or-Treating is a strange custom, and for a culture with a lot of traditions surrounding gift giving and receiving, the idea of allowing children to demand candy, even from neighbors and friends, must seem inappropriate. I just don't see trick-or-treating catching on in Japan.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:54 am Reply with quote
Maybe they'd have a reverse trick-or-treat, where people carry bags of candy from house to house and give a piece or two to every house that accepts them?
Ishkabibble

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:34 am Reply with quote
Also, trick-or-treating is one of those things that only works in suburbia.

If one looks at its history in the U.S., it only really boomed once the suburbs became the norm. In densely populated Tokyo, however, it probably has a lesser chance of catching on.

If it ever does, it will be very regional.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:53 am Reply with quote
Ishkabibble wrote:
Also, trick-or-treating is one of those things that only works in suburbia.

Everywhere else, it's been moved to nice big public location events, like shopping malls or the main pedestrian drag of main street, for fears of public and child safety.
Which would work in areas of Tokyo, provided...they had any cultural idea why the heck they were doing it in the first place.

(They're still trying to come up with one agreed-upon explanation of why the heck they wear the costumes.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3