• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Noragami Soundtrack 2 Cancelled Due to Islamic Sound Samples

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
GlassesMan wrote:
Does anyone with a Islamic background know exactly what holy sounds these may have been? I know Hinduism venerates the syllable "om" as holy, but what was the sound in the Noragami soundtrack?

I cannot say for sure, cause it isn't the clear sound - but apparently I think that Iwasaki used the Islamic prayer as a sample. At least, I clearly hear the "Bismillah".
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Tensai GinAce wrote:
I know most of you won't understand but the ost is called push buttons and it's literally an "adhan" (prayer's call) done with autotune. and to muslims adhan is really sacred. Some adhans sound really beautiful but they are still not music.
I still love every single other music he does.

Thanks for the explanation.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Is this really about having offended people or is it about them being afraid something might happen in retaliation?

I have a hard time believing it is entirely the former given how anime has treated other religions.

It's a quick reaction to a minor yet unintentionally offensive track.

Things have become so heated lately (more so than the past few years) that its better to avoid agitating a few while also appeasing the majority of Muslims since, as Tensai GinAce mentioned, the sample comes from an official prayer. Had it just been random words than no one would care since lots of artists take bits of other languages and input into music.

In this case, it's completely justified. Probably gonna alter the DVD/BD release as well; I forgot which episode in Aragoto used "Push Buttons" but, probably during the Bishamon arc?
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
So the composer sampled the call to prayer & called it "push buttons"? Is there another one on the OST that samples the Lord's prayer & called "rustled jimmies"?
The Hollow Shrine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Japan just got "politically correct".
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Oh for God's sake. People really need to stop catering to Islam and constantly apologizing for the stupidest things. I don't care if they're offended. I'd be saying this same exact thing if it had been some other religion that complained. Put on your big boy pants and get over it.
Zaydgh123

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Hello Muslim here~

The most confusing thing is that Taku Iwasaki used "Adhan" in his music.
I mean they all know that this will cause a shitstorm right? something like the old Jojo incident.

if they know that it cause problems then why did they do it in the first place Confused

Maybe Iwasaki misunderstood adhan, who knows?
Mizerous

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
It could be worse imagine if they put the show on hiatus or cancelled this season. Heck I will take the DBZ Kai approach for the soundtrack rather than waiting or losing this anime.
Lupica

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm not Muslim or Christian, but if it upsets people to see the culture they hold precious being used as a prop then it's better to respect their wishes than to deliberately overlook them in the name of entertainment. The snippets of the reactions from Muslims I've seen on Twitter have generally been very polite. Most people understand that the composer was probably thinking of his art first and didn't realise that the material he was using was particularly special to people.

I just went and listened to the piece of music in question, and it does sounds wonderful - but the response from the Noragami staff is perfectly reasonable to me and I respect their decision. I learnt something new today about another culture. I'd expect the same consideration if people from any other religious (or otherwise) background made a peaceful protest against something they viewed as wrong.

It's not like Noragami is a deeply edgy show that thrives on controversy. The staff were probably upset to learn that people weren't enjoying the show as much as they should because hearing their sacred prayer being used as a prop was distracting.

Last edited by Lupica on Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zaydgh123

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I want to say something to everyone who is angry about this.

The anime won't get affected so its all okay, they apologized and acknowledged that its a mistake.
Don't start bashing religion just because the BDs got delayed, lets all stay calm and be friends okay Very Happy ?
Tensai GinAce

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Lupica wrote:
I'm not Muslim or Christian, but if it upsets people to see the culture they hold precious being used as a prop then it's better to respect their wishes than to deliberately overlook them in the name of entertainment. The snippets of the reactions from Muslims I've seen on Twitter have generally been very polite. Most people understand that the composer was probably thinking of his art first and didn't realise that the material he was using was particularly special to people.

I just went and listened to the piece of music in question, and it does sounds wonderful - but the response from the Noragami staff is perfectly reasonable to me and I respect their decision. I learnt something new today about another culture. I'd expect the same consideration if people from any other religious (or otherwise) background made a peaceful protest against something they viewed as wrong.

It's not like Noragami is a deeply edgy show that thrives on controversy. The staff were probably upset to learn that people weren't enjoying the show as much as they should because hearing their sacred prayer being used as a prop was distracting.

This sums it up perfectly. thank you
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
What could be sacred about sounds? Unless there are singers clearly pronouncing holy names or prayers, than it's just a tune. I don't get it. I hope they consulted with an actual expert and didn't just make a decision "just to be safe."
CycloneSP

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:10 pm Reply with quote
so when if someone finds something offensive to islam, we gotta pull it immediately. But if something is offensive to christianity, we can just mock it all we want, right?

Double standards much?
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
ZaYDgH123 wrote:
if they know that it cause problems then why did they do it in the first place Confused

The key words is "if they know". I often see how the Japanese don't check the simple English or Cyrillic words for grammar spelling, and even more so - I doubt that among the producer committee of anime there was at least one expert on Islam - which is a minority religion in Japan in the first place. So I'm not surprised about this.

I most likely sure that they did not check the soundtrack for religious themes - they received a complaint from someone who heard the soundtrack after the sale and identified the religious prayer in the sample.
Seska1973

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
What could be sacred about sounds? Unless there are singers clearly pronouncing holy names or prayers, than it's just a tune. I don't get it. I hope they consulted with an actual expert and didn't just make a decision "just to be safe."

Vocals or Prayers with their own Voice (without help of Instruments) are the purest way to show his Faith/respect/believe in his God

Look at Africa as example, they use their voice to create a Sound that is pure to worship their God

an example. listen bit into "Ar Tonelico" vocals, you can feel their power? It's vibrating inside your Soul? even if this are just created for an PS3 game? (you get a gist then)

Last edited by Seska1973 on Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10