• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Does Old Anime Get Remastered?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
It's such a pity that Evangelion's 16th episode film reels were lost. It's such a nice remaster, too, so it's a real shame. I always think that anime had a bit of a dark period between the early 2000s and around 2008. A time that was post-animation cells and pre-high definition. With the pre-2000 shows, you can rescan the cells and remaster, but the best you can do with a show like, say, Hell Girl, is upscale it and hope for the best.
GotenZ1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I always think that anime had a bit of a dark period between the early 2000s and around 2008. A time that was post-animation cells and pre-high definition.

This. It's a shame that shows like FLCL and early One Piece episodes (and many others) were only produced at 480p. But it is what it is.

I'm curious how current anime (specifically TV) is being mastered. We're getting to the point where 4K isn't a far off dream and shows only done at 1080p might suffer a similar fate like FLCL and other 480p productions. I'm sure there are many studios who haven't made 4K masters just from a cost standpoint. Hell, you could ask the same question about american animation!
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
That was a great read. Really nice info.

GotenZ1 wrote:
This. It's a shame that shows like FLCL and early One Piece episodes (and many others) were only produced at 480p. But it is what it is.

I'm curious how current anime (specifically TV) is being mastered. We're getting to the point where 4K isn't a far off dream and shows only done at 1080p might suffer a similar fate like FLCL and other 480p productions. I'm sure there are many studios who haven't made 4K masters just from a cost standpoint. Hell, you could ask the same question about american animation!

Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see, I hope atleast some of the more especially visually impressive titles are ready for it.
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Speaking as someone who enjoys the aesthetics of cel animation, I found this a informative read. As far as film grain goes, I personally prefer having a noticeable field of grain, though I understand the need to diminish its impact on the picture. As long as the transfer doesn't scrub the picture clean and maintains an authentic, natural look, I'll be happy. A show mastered on film should look like it was mastered on film.

Toei Animation seems particularly prone to upscaling their older shows. Sailor Moon, Saint Seiya, an upcoming Devilman release -- the list goes on and on, it seems. If I recall correctly, they didn't even give Hols: Prince of the Sun a proper HD master when putting it out on Blu-ray, and that's Isao Takahata's debut directorial work, with work done by Hayao Miyazaki. It's hard to tell whether their logic stems from legit fiscal concerns, sheer laziness, or classic incompetence. Regardless, it's a troubling trend considering the pop cultural significance of their catalog.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
GotenZ1 wrote:

One Piece started production just before Cel animation started to disappear.
GotenZ1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
GotenZ1 wrote:

One Piece started production just before Cel animation started to disappear.

True, but I think there is a good bit that was done digital only before HD. I have no sources for that though, I'm just going off the general timeframe and the fact that there are not blu-rays of the show available before a certain point. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

Regardless, there are many titles that definitely did suffer from a resolution cap of 480p.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
ParkerALx wrote:
If I recall correctly, they didn't even give Hols: Prince of the Sun a proper HD master when putting it out on Blu-ray, and that's Isao Takahata's debut directorial work, with work done by Hayao Miyazaki. It's hard to tell whether their logic stems from legit fiscal concerns, sheer laziness, or classic incompetence. Regardless, it's a troubling trend considering the pop cultural significance of their catalog.

First I've heard of this, any screencaps? I ask because unlike their TV shows, Toei usually gives their movies proper HD remasters and with two exceptions (all 3 of Galaxy Express 999 (which were heavily DNR'd) & most of the Digimon movies), they have actually looked great so far.

Last edited by NJ_ on Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote
GotenZ1 wrote:
Quote:
I always think that anime had a bit of a dark period between the early 2000s and around 2008. A time that was post-animation cells and pre-high definition.

pretty sure it's 960p for most shows, while only movies and a few anime series even get 1080p
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Logistically, even if you were able to gather all the cels, backgrounds and find the old machines used to make anime, cels are chemically volatile. Certain paints, especially the red hues, don't react well with the paint used to create the outlines on the cels. This is one reason why the once black lines, as they age, turn brown. Another is simply the quality of ink; Toei was notorious for using cheap paints and ink, and thus their cels have deteriorated faster than cels from other studios. Toei had problems of this even at the time of production, and it is not uncommon to find cels with a separate layer consisting solely of the Xeroxed outlines because the ones included in the original layer had already begun to deteriorate prior to filming.

The above damage does not take into account the damage that owner neglect has done. There was a time when cels and other production artwork was simply regarded as garbage. Cels were plentiful, easily bought and resold for often the equivalent of a couple dollars, and thus, many owners simply stored them in cardboard boxes, smooshed together with hundreds of other cels, in a non-climate controlled closet. There are videos on Youtube of collectors showing their stash and many of them are stored in these appalling conditions.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Knight-Hart wrote:
I always think that anime had a bit of a dark period between the early 2000s and around 2008. A time that was post-animation cells and pre-high definition. With the pre-2000 shows, you can rescan the cells and remaster, but the best you can do with a show like, say, Hell Girl, is upscale it and hope for the best.
IIRC Justin or previous Answermen have documented the "doughnut hole" of SD digipaint anime from roughly 1999-2007, so it is a real thing. And good upscales are possible, though studios tend to go awry when trying to do too much filtering to the image, especially with grain/noise removal. That's how you get BDs that're no better than DVD, or sometimes worse quality than DVD.

Quote:
(Removal of film grain is a contentious issue among film nerds, but it's often a necessary evil. Some older film stocks are just so grainy that viewing them would be very distracting on a modern display.)
Obviously, it's contentious among anime nerds as well, many of whom are perfectly fine downloading Blu-Ray rips that consist of 20 GB of anime and 40 GB of grain. Wouldn't want to miss out on critical details like wood grains and rock textures Rolling Eyes
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
If they keep these cels, would they technically not be trash? After all, isn't trash something you intend to dispose of?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:54 pm Reply with quote
^
Granted the below link is fiction, but I nevertheless believe that that it's a good response! Laughing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdjf4lMmiiI
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:56 pm Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon-- It was the studios that considered the cels, backgrounds and anything else used during the animation process as trash. This applies to more recently made series as well. I own a lot of background artwork from a 2009 CG series called Kobato., and even then, Madhouse was just folding the backgrounds to fit into a standard size circular bin.

Back in the 1980s and 1990s, it was not uncommon for people to go dumpster diving for these cels, backgrounds, etc. While some studios, like Toei, would package up some of their cel garbage and then resell them, more often then not, once the cels were filmed, they were trashed. The plastic used to make cels, acetate, was cheap and plentiful, and wiping them off for reuse was not a good use of resources. Some studios, like Madhouse, did hold on to their premium artwork, like artwork used for promotional purposes, as a sort of rainy day slush fund, but most of the stuff that was used under the camera was either thrown out or some employees took it home to resell through retailers like Mandarake.

The attitude towards production artwork has shifted within the past few years, especially with certain companies like Aniplex. Studios like to hold on to their artwork now and many opt to burn them, years down the road. Some artwork does make it out of the studios, though, as evidenced by the plethora of paper items being sold on Mandarake on Yahoo Japan at any given time. Most of it goes unnoticed by the Japanese firms, though, I know of one collector who was threatened with legal action at a convention a couple years ago for being in possession of production artwork from an Aniplex production, despite purchasing that artwork from a well known Japanese action site.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
^ It was the studios that considered the cels, backgrounds and anything else used during the animation process as trash. This applies to more recently made series as well. I own a lot of background artwork from a 2009 CG series called Kobato., and even then, Madhouse was just folding the backgrounds to fit into a standard size circular bin.

Back in the 1980s and 1990s, it was not uncommon for people to go dumpster diving for these cels, backgrounds, etc. While some studios, like Toei, would package up some of their cel garbage and then resell them, more often then not, once the cels were filmed, they were trashed. The plastic used to make cels, acetate, was cheap and plentiful, and wiping them off for reuse was not a good use of resources. Some studios, like Madhouse, did hold on to their premium artwork, like artwork used for promotional purposes, as a sort of rainy day slush fund, but most of the stuff that was used under the camera was either thrown out or some employees took it home to resell through retailers like Mandarake.

The attitude towards production artwork has shifted within the past few years, especially with certain companies like Aniplex. Studios like to hold on to their artwork now and many opt to burn them, years down the road. Some artwork does make it out of the studios, though, as evidenced by the plethora of paper items being sold on Mandarake on Yahoo Japan at any given time. Most of it goes unnoticed by the Japanese firms, though, I know of one collector who was threatened with legal action at a convention a couple years ago for being in possession of production artwork from an Aniplex production, despite purchasing that artwork from a well known Japanese action site.

Animation cels being burned, that's unforgivable sin and animation cels being trashed, I'm surprised people haven't been canned or blacklisted for crap like this. You don't toss history away, you donate it to a museum or sell it to collectors who will take care of it.

What a waste, the so called "garbage" these studios refer to could've been enough to set up a museum.

Also, the lack of proper archiving is something I've known for a while, anime needs something like this
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote
As someone who has watched some anime shows from the cel-animation era, I find it tragic that most of the films of shows from 1990 to around 2002 ended up being lost forever due to poor preservation and storage mismanagement. The designs of the characters from those years looked uniquely impressive for their time and I think they still hold up to this very moment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3