• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Ghost Stories Anime to Catalog

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
Hominidrive wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:

You mean YOU could've done without the dub. But for 90% of us, that is certainly not the case Razz

Well, I'm not a Gator, and you probably are. So there's an obvious audience difference.

Wait, complaining about problematic bigotry while you respond using problematic bigotry? Yeah....
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Do remember that that ADV had permission from the Japanese licensor to do what they (so hilariously!) did. The decision was made to give an admittedly flat, underwhelming title a much-needed sales boost in the US market.

What I'd really like to see is an idea that, IIRC, Greg Ayres (Leo) voiced a few years ago at a convention: he'd love to bring all the English dub cast together and re-dub the entire show!

If Discotek Media decided to crowdfund such a project, they'd certainly get my money!

Last edited by Ouran High School Dropout on Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
animefan1238

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Hominidrive wrote:
We could have done without the dub, honestly. It's very problematic, full of anti-semitic, racist and ableist messages. Rolling Eyes

*sings* Everyone's a little but racist sometimes. Doesn't mean we go around committing hate crimes. Ethic jokes might be uncouth but we laugh because they're based on truth. Don't take them as personal attacks. Everyone enjoys them, so relax.*End* If any of you know that song, you get an internet cookie.

I might be the least effected by these jokes. For me I'm Hispanic and if someone said, "What up $*!c?" I'd replay, "Hey man!" But if there was hatred in their tone, that's a different kettle of fish. Now I do agree that some of the jokes did go over the top, but most of them I laughed at. It's entertainment and they basically had free reign to do what they wanted to push the boundaries. Since this show came out in the early 2000s I can't recall any outrage, outcry or protest against ADV and the VAs. Overall if any material offends me (which isn't much) I do one thing, I shut it off and move on with life.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Have a care, folks.

If this thread devolves into a Gamergate slinging fest it'll be shut down pretty quickly. Same if it becomes a generic dub v sub debate.

Please keep the topic to Ghost Stories.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
What about those who are looking for an accurate dub of the original? How is this different from the edits, censorship and changes that are made in other notorious dubs that fans constantly complain about? Simply put, most don't really care that changes were made because they don't care for the original. However, they should be reminded that there are people who do care for the original characters and hate to see them desecrated like this. Dubs like these create a diverging image of the characters and the fact that the dub is official adds a sense of legitimacy that no fan abridged series will ever have.

...did anyone want an accurate dub of the original? Hell, would anyone have even known about this show's existence in the first place if not for ADV's localization? It's quite literally Scooby-Doo without all of the latter's fun 60s camp. It's based on spooky stories that Japanese grade-schoolers tell each other. The animation is low-tier, the characters are generic, the music is forgettable (except for that wince-worthy "Sexy Sexy" ED), and quite frankly there's nothing in the entire production that's in any way memorable or noteworthy. No sane R1 company would willingly dub and release the series as-is. ADV was obligated to license the show as part of a package deal, and rather than dump it on the market and take an inevitable financial loss, they decided to have some fun with it, and wound up making a hell of a lot more money in the process. Works for me.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
This post is meant to reiterate what errinundra wrote: Please, think twice before clicking on that "Submit" icon.* Thank you.

*I've already felt obliged to trash 1 post already.
AnimeFollower

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I had spoken with Greg Ayers at San Japan a few years ago and had asked him to autograph my dvd set of Ghost Stories. He said he hoped that whoever had the rights to dub it now would try to get everyone back together and redub it with current 2010's references like Leo commenting on Mel Gibson being Anti-Semitic and Obama references and stuff like that. That would be great!
Kirben

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Another case of a butchered English dub that destroyed a series, I don't see how the English dub helped the series at all, since it was dramatically changed in the worse ways (i.e. insulting dialog), and was more like a separate series.

I was completely turned off the series by the trailers of the English dub, but came across the Japanese version by chance, and liked the original series. Since I enjoy fairy, folk and similar tales from around the world.

Children enjoy scary stories, and would not be familiar with the Japanese legends they were based on, the original series could have been successful enough, if given a chance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
...did anyone want an accurate dub of the original? Hell, would anyone have even known about this show's existence in the first place if not for ADV's localization?

Although the circumstances are a bit different (especially considering ADV's reputation for accurate dubs--Funi, maybe, but it's a little outside of ADVs' modus operandi):

The key difference being, this was during the 00's Licensing Bubble, when ADV was grabbing up any old hit show that was currently airing, and then trying to figure out the hard part of how to market it later....So, there was more pressure from licensors to shove current-ratings shows on companies for export-sale deals and saying "You figure it out!"
Today, if the original Japanese version of a series is unfunny on Crunchyroll streaming simulcasts, both the fans and the company have plenty of warning whether to acquire it at all, and whether doing anything to it will make enough back to be worth the effort--But in the 00's, it was a pig in a poke, releasing a show was more about both parties struggling to make back their licensing costs on a done deal, and it was just trying to dig themselves out of a hole they probably shouldn't have dug in the first place.

As for shows that, quote, "had it coming" for being unfunny in the original Japanese (we all got it comin', son), Coastal Carolina managed to pull Shinesman's dub out of the fire without acting like a bunch of Adult Swim jerks.
Actar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:59 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
...did anyone want an accurate dub of the original? Hell, would anyone have even known about this show's existence in the first place if not for ADV's localization? It's quite literally Scooby-Doo without all of the latter's fun 60s camp. It's based on spooky stories that Japanese grade-schoolers tell each other. The animation is low-tier, the characters are generic, the music is forgettable (except for that wince-worthy "Sexy Sexy" ED), and quite frankly there's nothing in the entire production that's in any way memorable or noteworthy. No sane R1 company would willingly dub and release the series as-is. ADV was obligated to license the show as part of a package deal, and rather than dump it on the market and take an inevitable financial loss, they decided to have some fun with it, and wound up making a hell of a lot more money in the process. Works for me.

Yes, there are people looking for an accurate dub and there are many who love the series as they actually grew up watching it. Also, nobody "wanted" the joke dub until it was made. Arguing based on what's "good" or "bad" is meaningless because it's completely subjective. Many of the anime that are released today can even be considered "bad", "generic" or "forgettable", especially by the wrong audience demographic, but that's no reason to redub all of them in a bid to make them sell. I mean, if you think about it, why not, right? Especially if the original Japanese version is readily available with subs. Personally, I think that we should have standards, even for dubs.

Is there a reason why they couldn't just put it on TV for kids?
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:23 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

...did anyone want an accurate dub of the original? Hell, would anyone have even known about this show's existence in the first place if not for ADV's localization? It's quite literally Scooby-Doo without all of the latter's fun 60s camp. It's based on spooky stories that Japanese grade-schoolers tell each other. The animation is low-tier, the characters are generic, the music is forgettable (except for that wince-worthy "Sexy Sexy" ED), and quite frankly there's nothing in the entire production that's in any way memorable or noteworthy. No sane R1 company would willingly dub and release the series as-is..

I would argue the fact there are always complaints about the dub shows that, yes, anyone would want that. The argument of a show being boring or for kids is useless because not only is it subjective, it boils down to a selfish mindset of "well I dont care, so everyone elses wants and desires dont matter."

Ghost Stories is very Japanese, so I can understand Americans being disinterested in it. Back then, even the anime community was pretty ignorant about yokai. It wasn't until, I would say, Inuyasha did American fans get interested in Japanese yokai stuff, though that dub called them demons. In Japan though, these shows were very common. Gegege no Kitaro was a staple for many years, and currently we have the massively popular Yokai Watch. The former is unheard of in America, the latter is heavily Americanized. The fact you always see these kinds of shows gagdubbed when they come over comes off quite lazy and maybe even xenophobic.

As for the poster who said whats the harm of gag dubs if the sub is available, this thread and the hundreds of others should be a good indication. As a fan of a lot of shows that have edited dubs or gag dubs, or worst of all, abdridged series, it is extremely annoying to get flooded with quotes whenever a show is mentioned, and discussions get derailed and off topic. Its part of the reason I avoid the American fanbases for certain shows. And despite how much better these dubs are compared to these boring old shows, allegedly, it was Kyatto Ninden Teyandee that got those sweet figures a few years ago, not Samurai Pizza Cats. The figures have yet to be released to the apparent massive SPC fanbase. It also might worth noting Ghost Stories was uploaded to video sites in Japan when the DVD was rereleased. Hundreds of thousands of views and extremely positive comments. It seems like this assertion that "nobody liked these shows" might be hearsay. Also worth noting is only the American dub was gag. When the series was released in other countries like Latin America, it was a faithful dub. There is also an Animax english dub with a faithful script from what I have heard.

-Stuart Smith
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:17 am Reply with quote
Guys, please tone it down a bit. You're getting dangerously close to "stop having fun guys" territory. You don't have to support the more liberal gag dubs like this one, but it's harmless overall. It's not like all dubbed anime followed suit and tried to be like it. Most anime dubs are faithful to an appropriate extent, especially nowadays. This one just didn't get that treatment for who knows what reasons. And that's fine.

Now, onto the actual show.

My favorite episode is still the one about the girl and the were-bunny. "Not because you're a rabbit, but because you're black" is just one of the best lines in the series overall.

Though personally it's best to watch Ghost Stories across a few days. The jokes lose their punch if you binge watch it like I did the first time.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:49 am Reply with quote
For the prefer that prefer the Ghost Stories (which is also on that site), just remember this: This '00 series had some success in Japan. However, the Japanese owners essentially begged ADV to make it sell. They essentially said, "This series wasn't doing well in Japan. Do what you think will make this series sell.

This 8/6/07 YT video of a Vic Mignogna and Greg Ayres panel has Greg explaining the script writing process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZfhrhM09zI.
Actar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
Guys, please tone it down a bit. You're getting dangerously close to "stop having fun guys" territory.

I think it's a little more nuanced than that. We're not against people having fun with the gag dub or even enjoying it. Sure, by all means, go ahead. We're just having a civil discussion about the implications of such dubs and engaging those who are trying to justify the practice.

errinundra wrote:
Please keep the topic to Ghost Stories.

I would hope that such an exchange is still relevant, because Ghost Stories is pretty much one of the few shows to actually receive this "privilege".
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
DigitalScratch wrote:
Guys, please tone it down a bit. You're getting dangerously close to "stop having fun guys" territory.

I think it's a little more nuanced than that. We're not against people having fun with the gag dub or even enjoying it. Sure, by all means, go ahead. We're just having a civil discussion about the implications of such dubs and engaging those who are trying to justify the practice.

Exactly: We're not against the idea of gag dubs, just the fans' self-justifying idea that ADV "should" have done it because the original show "deserved" it.
If so, why acquire it at all? Just to beat up on it?
(See above post--The Bubble was a much more complicated time for anime, and if we didn't know the reason why half the series were licensed for release, one could argue that ADV didn't quite 100% know why they were releasing them either. Confused )

Yes, a few less discerning Shin-chan fans may have giggled at hip, edgy actor-improvisatory jokes and said "That was cool, do it with another show!", but is the model for ALL dubs? Or just for the shows that need "punishing", because they've been bad, bad boys for not being funny enough and need a spanking?
It may be "Stop liking things I hate!" vs. "Stop hating things I like!", but there may be such a thing as having too much fun, and starting to blur one's principles about why they like the rest of what they're into.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4