• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Store: Hikari & Angewomon GEM Figure Cancelled in West; Not 'Child-Friendl

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Puniyo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I'm not sure how kid-friendly a $100+ figure was in the first place.

But who even buys figures from American and European retailers? Just order direct from Japan from AmiAmi or something - even with the shipping, it's usually cheaper anyway.

Last edited by Puniyo on Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I do not know but that second pic makes it look like Hikari is coming after Angewomon's sexy butt (almost) (literally).
Freyanne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
Who even buys figures from American and European retailers? Just order direct from Japan from AmiAmi or something - even with the shipping, it's cheaper anyway.
IIRC, you couldn't buy this figure from AmiAmi, since it was an exclusive to certain stores. So if you wanted to order it from Japan, you had to use a proxy service (for some of the stores, at least).
I think some ordered from CR because they had a bundle deal with Angemon's figure.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:

But who even buys figures from American and European retailers? Just order direct from Japan from AmiAmi or something - even with the shipping, it's usually cheaper anyway.

As someone who has bought many figures, generally you are correct. However, some companies like to make their products exclusive, so you can't get them on say AmiAmi or Hobbysearch. So either you buy it through a proxy (I haven't done it but I've heard it costs some money) or go though whatever site they have it through. CR's store in particular usually gets Megahouse and Aniplex exclusives, though in this particular case I don't know if it was an exclusive (It wasn't on Hobbysearch as far as I could tell, but I didn't check AmiAmi).
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Reread the article. It wasn't CrunchyRoll who cancelled it.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Searching around on some of the sites I've bought figures on, you could possible get it through Nippon-Yasan. It says not available right now, but that could possibly change.

https://www.nippon-yasan.com/figures/13099-digimon-adventure-gemseries-angewomon-yagami-hikari-limited-edition.html

If I could like this a hundred times I would, but I'll have to settle for a quote =P
Space☆Candy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
This is disappointing, it's not a toy for kids, it's a collector's item Confused
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

As someone who has bought many figures, generally you are correct. However, some companies like to make their products exclusive, so you can't get them on say AmiAmi or Hobbysearch. So either you buy it through a proxy (I haven't done it but I've heard it costs some money) or go though whatever site they have it through. CR's store in particular usually gets Megahouse and Aniplex exclusives, though in this particular case I don't know if it was an exclusive (It wasn't on Hobbysearch as far as I could tell, but I didn't check AmiAmi).

I have used proxies for a lot of stuff, and... for figures.. it's not usually worth it. If I can't get it through AmiAmi or Hobby Search I will usually just skip the figure entirely, unless there is a good deal through TOM or the like. But yeah, most proxies will charge a 10% service fee and you will have to pay the cost of shipping to them, plus the cost of shipping to you, which, for a figure box, adds up a bit. That being said, Buyee is now doing 0% service fee for Amazon Japan, so I'm thinking about giving them a shot for a few figures in the future. They are a lot more likely to have OOP figures than AmiAmi too.
Henshinbeetle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"wanted to market Digimon as a child-friendly property, and thought this Angewomon figure wasn't appropriate for that image."

Well arent they a bit to late trying to get that genie back in its bottle. Everyone who would have wanted this figure has known about it for months plus the pictures have been released anyway also for months now. We all know this figure is out there.
Great job though, all you have done now is pissed of a good sized portion of the fanbase - part of them actually willing to pay a nice price for one of the merch.

Besides, child friendly lol. Have they ever watch the show ?
Anyway, this whole marketing should be fun to watch though, share the digi-popcorn guys.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Immediately upon loading the front page, I read that headline and had a nice laugh. Thank you for brightening up my afternoon ANN~!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Falco23 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that this is Sabans doing what a shame.

Says "original rights holders" so it's Bandai/Toei's fault.

Freyanne wrote:
IIRC, you couldn't buy this figure from AmiAmi, since it was an exclusive to certain stores. So if you wanted to order it from Japan, you had to use a proxy service (for some of the stores, at least).

I use AmiAmi for basically everything and yeah, they didn't have it. I couldn't find it anywhere else that I wouldn't need to jump through hoops for (I've never used a proxy service so don't know how) and had given up on it. Then I saw it listed in the Crunchyroll daily deals e-mail and was quite happy. But alas.

Rightstuf has it too, but I imagine it was cancelled there for the same reason.

Well, I lost out on one of my childhood hotties but I'll still be getting another.
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
You can always buy it directly from Amazon Japan anyway, so it's Crunchyroll's loss. This PC nonsense has to stop. No one seems to have a problem with celebrities walking around with their chests falling out of their dresses...
ReNellGlover

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Oh, so they can get away with Teen-rated Digimon games like Digital Card Battle, Rumble Arena 2 and Cyber Sleuth, but not this?

Last edited by ReNellGlover on Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ulinox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Gives people the wrong body image impressions, I can see that.
Henshinbeetle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
Gives people the wrong body image impressions, I can see that.
Yeah, I mean it's not my fault I cant grow wings!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7