• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Sun & Moon Unveiled for 3DS in Holiday 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:30 pm Reply with quote
... Okay.

But what is it?
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Sadly, it seems that Game Freak wanted to keep character customization for XY.

In an interview with USGamer, they point out that they try to keep features in specific gens so that each game stands out on its own in some way. Kallos is about "beauty", which is why X/Y lets you customize your character.

Hence why I said I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case given their track record.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BlueCatMage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
All I can say is: They better give us a dragon-type eevee evolution this time around to go with the new fairy-type eevee evolution! I NEED IT! Anime cry
seeker3218

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I guess it was stupid of me to expect a Pokemon Z. Hopefully something about these new Pokemon games gives me an incentive to buy them, barring a new generation and new Pokemon, but I'm always open to what they have in store. I've grown weary of Pokemon since I've been religiously playing it for ten years until I decided to stop in 2011. I'm Pokemon'd out, if that's a word.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
animechic420 wrote:
In the words of Michael Scott: "NO! God! No, GOD, PLEASE NO! NO! NO! NOOOOOOO!"

In my words: NO MORE NEW POKEMON!!!!

What the hell are the creators thinking?! They're making it harder and expensive for kids to catch 'em all. But then again, does this even mean there'll be new Pokemon?

Someone help.

It is EXTREMELY unhelpful and time-wasting to EVER try to "catch 'em all", because many Pokemon are completely worthless.

Catch the powerful ones, make a good team, destroy opponents, ignore the weak.

I don't know a single good trainer who tries to literally catch every Pokemon. That's meaningless. It's a meaningless catchphrase for the games that just keeps the players busy doing nothing of value, constantly looking for trades, etc.

It's true that a good trainer can make a relatively weak Pokemon into a formidable team member, but you can only go so far. I'm not saying to have a team of Legendary Pokemon, but keep out the scrubs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Space☆Candy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, I look foward to playing these.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
So I can move pkmn from xy to sun and moon? Is pkmn bank free?

It costs $5.00 a year.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I don't know a single good trainer who tries to literally catch every Pokemon. That's meaningless. It's a meaningless catchphrase for the games that just keeps the players busy doing nothing of value, constantly looking for trades, etc.

All you need is X,Y,AS,OR, for non mythics and to have been paying attention to the events for the past few years and the next few months and you could have 720 easily.

Also I pre-ordered the Red and Blue New 3DS from Amazon, but my order didn't ship when it was supposed to and now other people are getting cancellation letters. So that is turning into a mess...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:38 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
All you need is X,Y,AS,OR, for non mythics and to have been paying attention to the events for the past few years and the next few months and you could have 720 easily.

Catching all of them doesn't really help you be a good trainer. I'd rather be a good trainer than a completest. Grinding your opponents into dust is more valuable to me than some tired, obsessive scavenger hunt for every little piddling Pokemon they designed. Sure, it can add to replay value, but only for so long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:47 pm Reply with quote
@penguintruth

Yes it's true that you no longer need to capture every single Pokemon anymore "unless they are event legendaires". Thankfully game-freak is making it easy this year to get all legendary Pokemon over the course of 2016. There are slew that are just impossible to catch game, unless you're willing to inject them in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:15 am Reply with quote
It's ALWAYS around Christmas time when they release popular games to cash in on the holiday rush well I guess I'll just have to wait until January to get my copies of Sun and Moon. Sad
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:43 am Reply with quote
There are in-game rewards for completing the Pokedex, such as the black Haxorus in B2/W2, or increased shiny rates. Plus, if you just gather them gradually, it's not too difficult. You don't have to run around like a headless chicken.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:33 am Reply with quote
TheFullmetalOne wrote:
I guess this pretty much guarantees that Ash won't be winning the Kalos League.

Well no shit Sherlock. Laughing If he wins the series ends.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:37 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
TheFullmetalOne wrote:
I guess this pretty much guarantees that Ash won't be winning the Kalos League.

Well no shit Sherlock. Laughing If he wins the series ends.

Well i hope he comes in 2nd place at least. He has one OP team In XY&Z and I'd hate to see him only make the top 5-16 again =/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:05 am Reply with quote
Now THIS should've been the Super Bowl commercial. While the one they used was pretty neat, watching it at work, I would've been jumping and leaping for joy every second of this if this was used. Would've been a great way to introduce Generation VII too. It really showcases the history Pokémon has had and how multicultural it's become.

Hoppy800 wrote:
This is pretty much 7th gen, I just hope the Pokemon and moves will be good. I wonder what this new region will be based off of.

I'm hoping it'll be based on California, but that's simply because that's where I live. But if I were to take an educated guess, it'd be either coastal China (due to how Pokémon games will now be available in Chinese) or southeastern Brazil (due to how ever since they've been focusing on a different nation, they move to a different continent).

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Regardless I'm still hyped for Pokemon S & M and I will most likely be picking up both this holiday season. Very Happy

Oh geez, I hadn't even noticed this pair of games can be abbreviated in this way until that post.

bs3311 wrote:
And every new generation I'm always annoyed with newer pokemon. I was actually relieved that around 70 were made in Gen 6, yet enthusiasts were pissed off with that. WHY!? You see what happens with gen 5 for how many carbon copies of past pokemon and horrendous designs they made to replicate around 150 new monsters? Quality over quantity in gaming is more important.

Because even rehashes play very differently from what they're based on. Trying to use Gigalith the way you'd use Golem will only get you annihilated and vice versa. (Trust me, I considered both for an online team and hadn't realized how differently they play in subtle ways until then.)

I also like most of the Generation V designs. The rehashes were definitely done for gameplay reasons, not lack of creativity: They're needed to fulfill the idea that Unova would have no Pokémon from previous generations until the credits roll. Some of the ones people seem to dislike, like the Vanillite line, I find hilarious.

BlueCatMage wrote:
All I can say is: They better give us a dragon-type eevee evolution this time around to go with the new fairy-type eevee evolution! I NEED IT! Anime cry

And I can say that that could actually happen now, as the Dragon-type is no longer the Broken-type.

penguintruth wrote:
It's true that a good trainer can make a relatively weak Pokemon into a formidable team member, but you can only go so far. I'm not saying to have a team of Legendary Pokemon, but keep out the scrubs.

I've been getting by since Generation IV seeking out Pokémon people tend to forget and shaping them up into teams with potential nobody seems to expect. I currently have a roughly 50-50 record in Ranked and about a 75-25 record in Free, though I remember back in the Wild West of Pokémon Battle Revolution, I had a team with Plusle and Minun that took out so many improperly-trained Ubers that people on YouTube gave the duo the nickname "The Uber Killers."

Even now though, my Vivillon seems to have earned the reputation of "The Vivillon That Will Not Die" due to his inexplicable ability to survive for long periods of time in Ranked battles (which surprised even myself).

I'm a nonconformist by nature though. I just don't like doing the same thing everyone else does. Though in order to do what I do, I have to understand the metagame and every facet of it so that I enter the battle with an information advantage.

And I know many of the oponents over PBR were, frankly, not that good, but I just like the idea that I could always surprise and confound them when I do stuff like, say, have my Kecleon disable all of Giratina's moves, invoking my opponent to ragequit upon sight of a Skuntank, using a Steelix to outrun a Ninjask Baton Pass chain (without using Trick Room), and my personal favorite, taking advantage of withheld information to win a battle using Mawile by not revealing what moves she has. I am a pure Johnny though, so having my strategy work even once makes me happy. (It's almost always been more than just once though. But my teams are so experimental that I have no idea what will become staples and what will see rare use.)

I used to get nervous going into online battles with the teams I use because I knew I was going in with an obvious disadvantage, but I've had enough victories under my belt that I'm no longer afraid. If anything, I've gone even further off the deep end. The me of 2007 would have never used an early-game Bug-type to bring online especially as the metagame continues to be more terrifying (even if Vivillon is easily the best one of them all).

GeneStriker wrote:
There are in-game rewards for completing the Pokedex, such as the black Haxorus in B2/W2, or increased shiny rates. Plus, if you just gather them gradually, it's not too difficult. You don't have to run around like a headless chicken.

I remember when I was in university during Generation IV, there were some people who had just gotten back into Pokémon and were focused on Pokédex completion. The bulk of them finished those four generations within a week after completing the story mode, and they did so by aggressively exploiting the GTS for everything they could get and not caring about battling at all. They didn't have to do it gradually, and the same techniques they used (bear in mind, they were relative rookies when they were catching 'em all) are still applicable now, only even easier.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4