• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Haikyu!! Second Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:30 am Reply with quote
To be honest, this episode felt pretty off for me. It's like the creators tried to strike a middle ground between what I assume was the longer manga-based match and a shorter, snappier anime setup to get to the "real" match we've all been waiting for.

Unfortunately, I think it backfired on them. We spend far too long with a team we know very little about--at least Nekoma and the other teams got more gradual development during their respective matches and the practice camp; Date Tech just feels kind of out of left field. And I think that issue is compounded when you factor in how the No-Eyebrows guy from Date Tech has been building up to this rival-esque, mutual respect thing going on with Hinata, but it basically amounts to nothing.

So, I agree with both folks who think this sequence should've been longer or much, much shorter. Either one would've been a far better approach than this muddling attempt we got. Just feels pretty bland all around. :/
myskaros

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the entrance of Aoba Johsai's number sixteen right before the ending theme (I believe his name is Kindaichi but am by no means certain; I think of him as “Tire Tracks”)

Kindaichi is 12, the guy Oikawa meant to toss to, but 16 is the one who jumped in and stole the spike, Kyoutani Kentarou, whom Oikawa calls "Kyouken" (Mad Dog).

...which I do want to take a moment to give praise to that sequence, the intensity and suddenness of Kyoutani's spike was perfectly animated, as well as Karasuno's reactions. Not to mention that kind of guttural cry he lets out with the spike, and the use of trumpets to also emphasize the change in routine/expectation. Awesome.

Last edited by myskaros on Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
#Marc123

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
OMG THAT LAST SMASH!!!!
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
This week's episode was definitely my one of my favourite of the season, love how they get on to the Oikawa/Kageyama conflict straight of the bat and how Yahaba from Aoba Johsai tries to hit on Yachi only to be beaten to the punch by Kiyoko Anime smile + sweatdrop . Also I thought this episode felt a lot shorter as well (which is a good thing I suppose because, for me at least, it makes it feel like the show is much more exciting and the action is stepping up from last week).
We really didn't get to see Hinata do much this week in the match (except that one play and feel frustrated) so I'm curious to see what he'll do next episode and although as soon as I saw him I thought something along the lines of that would be how the episode would end (only that it would be the set winning shot), I like how they up the anticipation throughout the show on Kyoutani's character with everyone saying 'who's that guy' and bring him in charging at the end (shoving his own team mate out of the way) with the beautiful animation change to slam the ball the ball down the court before any of the Karasuno players can react breaking all the good momentum they've had up until now and leaving us on that forceful scene until next week's episode Anime smile .
chex mix

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the animation this week was amazing. It really felt like everything came together.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Definitely agree with the teeth-gnashing aspect; when I realized Mad Dog's decoy tactics were similar to how Hinata was used way back when, I was torn between being impressed and disgruntled at him. Anime hyper

What really surprised me was that Kageyama could spike! That took me by surprise! :O It was nice seeing Suga mix things up a bit too. Definitely looking forward to Yamguchi's return next week though!
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Loved this week's with Aoba Johsai, I agree it is frustrating that when you see another team making amazing plays against Kararsuno even if you love it when Karasuno makes a similar play against their opponents. It's cool that were getting to see more of Oikawa as a tactician and how he plays with and uses his team to get the best result and also Kyotani's rabid play style and his expressions when succeed/fails with his moves also I like the comic relief this week between Oikawa, Iwaizumi and Kyotani and the contrast between how Kyotani treats them both Laughing
Can't wait till next week to see what else they'll do and what Yamaguchi can bring to Karasuno's side.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 21

I agree that I'm biased in favor of Karasuno, since I've spent waaaaaay more time getting to know all of them, but I also find myself watching the plays the way Hinata does. When an opposing player pulls off an amazing move, Hinata doesn't get all growly, he's amazed and excited and fired up to do it too. He's only ever frustrated when he doesn't get to hit the ball, or when he fails. Likewise, I'm amazed, and excited to see how Karasuno counters it. I very much enjoy watching other teams bring their game.

This particular game was kind of strange though, with its surprising number of fluffed serves on both sides, but especially on Johsai's.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:29 am Reply with quote
Ep 22:
Oh my goodness this game was so intense I wanna jump and shout!!

Since the season's almost over I was hoping that Aoba Joshi would lose in this episode because now I'm super worried that Karasuno might lose the third match. Haikyuu needs the KuroBas treatment and get a season three because I'm not ready to leave these characters yet. If POS had one iota of Haikyuu's tight characterization and tension, then it could have been a decent sports anime.

So proud of Yamaguchi, he's promoted to B Class side character!

Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:45 am Reply with quote
I am hoping it will end with them winning and then with the message See You Next......

Not sure how likely that is. Not being spoiled by the manga can be very intense. And I thought this was only an issue with ERASED.
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh my gosh I loved this episode. I love how Furudate doesn't let any of the players on Haikyuu go without notice. They're all important. We haven't seen much of Ennoshita's friends Kinoshita and Narita, but no doubt they'll get focus. Anyways, this episode kinda reminded my of my days in varsity soccer when I was a perpetual benchwarmer, but instead of improving myself like Yamaguchi, I bitched and moaned that I was never let into a game. I feel major respect for his character while at the same time wanting to redo my high school years.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
So Close!! Karasuno almost had it and I was ready to celebrate but of course Oikawa has to come in with his super serves and ruin everything Sad . I loved the intensity of this episode from start to finish with Yamaguchi coming in as 'the guy who messed up' as the pinch server last time (also his friendship with Tsukkishima is highlighted nicely after Yamaguchi service success), the way they get the audience and coaches speaking during the match is also nice and can build up the anticipation of a match. The comedic area of the series was timed well again this week and I'm looking forward till the next episode with Daichi, Oikawa and All the players ready to give it their all in the final set Anime hyper
leongsh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
From the review wrote:
In another show I might doubt the ability to stretch this game out, but in this case, I'm just wondering how we viewers can make it with three weeks left until we know who wins.

As a manga reader, all I can say is that you will make it through with the continuing roller coaster ride. If you think waiting for the next 2-3 episodes to complete the match is hell, you are fortunate that you aren't following the manga then.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Due to the episode count, I knew going in that they would have to lose this game, since 3 episodes isn't enough to do anything else (and you don't cap off a rivalry like this with 2 games when you can do 3). What's amazing is that didn't matter one bit. I was still on the edge of my seat throughout the game. Not many series can pull that off.

It was great that even the Johsai fans were cheering for him. And I really appreciate that his triumph didn't feel unearned - he not only worked hard for that moment, but had to overcome his own self-doubt after his previous spectacular failure, under circumstances of enormous pressure. As they say, that's how diamonds are made. Smile
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Yamaguchi smiling totally brought a smile to my own face. I love how Sugawara and Ennoshita had to hold Hinata and Nishinoya back when cheering. Anime hyper Karasuno is such a cute team.

Quote:
We spent so much time focusing on how unbelievably amazing and talented Hinata, Kageyama, Asahi, and Tsukishima are

Not to nitpick, but wouldn't it be more consistent to call Asahi by his last name "Azumane" since everyone else is being referred to by their last name here?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6