• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese BD/DVD Sales Down 5.1% From 2014, Anime BD/DVD Sales Down 6.9%

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote
Not really surprised that its down there been a lot of anime thats not really worth getting
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I suspect the slow adoption of streaming has more to do with the producers' and distributors' policies than demand from consumers...

Of course. If you get thousand time more revenue from your disc-buying customer compared to streaming customer, all anime producers in their senses will fight against streaming inside Japan to their death. Abroad it is different issue.
Actar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I find it very disconcerting that many people have no problem with moving to digital. Honestly, the lack of any proper means of ownership and the intangibility of content is just scary to me. It means that there's no more permanence and I'll always have to depend on the host servers to stay up for my content to be available (thanks DRM).
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Most viewers watch a series once and never watch it again so they don't see a downside to streaming like you do. People on ANN are much more committed to physical media than anime viewers on sites like MAL. Of course, a large fraction of those viewers don't pay anything for the content they consume.

I'm much older than the general MAL audience, and I do subscribe to streaming services and buy the occasional disc. But I, too, generally don't have much interest in watching series multiple times.
dark13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
All right, everyone, let's step back from the snippy comments.

dark13 wrote:
Your disrespectful attitude about my writing hurts me more
: |

You've been warned before for your lack of punctuation and tendency to overquote, both present in this thread. This isn't an IM chat room - put periods at the end of your sentences.
See I'm not sure if I should see this an attack or as a insult from you, I try to stay away from these types of Discussion But I needed to say my piece before I left, also where did I overquote in this thread ?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
also where did I overquote in this thread ?
Right here. As you were only responding to Teferi's comment about your writing, the other quotes from yourself and Engineering Nerd were irrelevant, and thus their inclusion constituted over-quoting.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
I find it very disconcerting that many people have no problem with moving to digital. Honestly, the lack of any proper means of ownership and the intangibility of content is just scary to me. It means that there's no more permanence and I'll always have to depend on the host servers to stay up for my content to be available (thanks DRM).

I am with you on that. And that's why I'm buying more hard drive space and downloading everything I want to keep now. I still buy the physical releases that are available, but a lot of the shows I like don't ever get a physical release in the US, so that's really my only option if I want a permanent copy. It sucks. I'm not the kind of person who pirates because I'm cheap, but that's literally the only way I can guarantee I will be able to watch Aoi Bungaku or Kemonozume 20 years from now. I'm actually considering importing JP copies for shows that don't get US releases and just adding subtitles after I rip them to my PC.

Moroboshi-san wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
I suspect the slow adoption of streaming has more to do with the producers' and distributors' policies than demand from consumers...

Of course. If you get thousand time more revenue from your disc-buying customer compared to streaming customer, all anime producers in their senses will fight against streaming inside Japan to their death. Abroad it is different issue.

On the other hand, if they can get even just a few pennies from the majority of viewers on an official streaming site, rather than having to literally buy air time and hope they are able to make enough off of ads to cover the cost, that seems like a better alternative.
manapear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
That's pretty interesting data, but not very surprising? I feel quite a few companies understand the shift as well and are making deals to sustain themselves, even with it. But I can see how it may hurt studios like Madhouse (and probably hurt Manglobe).

Series like Uta*Pri that are game first, huge on merch tie-ins and also do phenomenal in DVD/BD sales are set, but then you have things like Chihayafuru or Ao Haru where it feels like the anime exists to promote, and the studio doing the adaption is left in the dust a little.
Malcolm Whatley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Truth be told, i can understand, Anime is one of the slowest markets in media, as of now, before when people would watch fan service site, they lost trillions, but the worst part is, they don't sell to me the consumer properly, I hate DVD and blu-ray boxes, there i much rater rent a dvd movie, in english dub/sub(with options) but what our my options in buying. Funimation, and a very weak amazon sales market. I detest buying poly sources verses from 1 market place. I buy from 1 market and crunchroll/Funimation dont offer me a choice of once i see i can buy when its digitally.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:

I'm not sure it is that big of a deal. Buying the discs is more for collectors. You seem to be ignoring that these shows are already on tv there and nothing is stopping them from just keeping them on a dvr (or as Justin has mentioned those dvdr things that never really took here). So putting a show up to stream on a paid service for a year or so is really just a more convenient way to do something they could already do.

Last edited by SilverTalon01 on Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ushio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
TheAAA wrote:
I feel like none of you read the article. They straight up say the data combines sales of anime and general animation, including international stuff. Meaning 2015 sales are down because 2014 had Frozen. It's more like 2014 sales were unusually high.

Your the one that didn't read the article.

The bit you mean.

"The animation market, which combines both general and kids-oriented sales, as well as foreign general and kids-oriented sales and the rental market, reported total sales of 72.792 billion yen (about US$654.042 million) in 2015, down 14.9% from 85.858 billion yen (about US$771.341 million) the year previous, which Anime! Anime! Biz attributes to the impressive sales of Disney's Frozen in 2014."

The bit that shows that the Japanese anime market has now shrunk two years in a row.

"The general Japanese animation market is down 6.9% from the previous year, with total sales of 49.082 billion yen (about US$440.948 million). The market has now sustained a two-year consecutive decline. The last time that the market garnered sales below 50 billion yen was in 2004, where the market earned 44.091 billion yen (about US$396.161 million)."
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
"The general Japanese animation market is down 6.9% from the previous year, with total sales of 49.082 billion yen (about US$440.948 million). The market has now sustained a two-year consecutive decline. The last time that the market garnered sales below 50 billion yen was in 2004, where the market earned 44.091 billion yen (about US$396.161 million)."

Oh, that reminded me. What I found most interesting about the last part of that was the implication that there was a pretty huge increase from 04 to 05 (at least 13.5% given that 05 was over 50 billion yen).
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
That's actually not bad it could be a lot worse and I mean a LOT! Worse. Shocked
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:47 pm Reply with quote
The disc sales model just isn't sustainable, and needs to be changed to a merchandise centric model. It's much cheaper and easier to buy a game that's based off an anime ($40-$75), a figure ($13-$300+), Dakimakura ($90-$200), a mousepad (usually no more than $100) or a plushy (usually no more than $100), or keychains, clear files, and T-shirts (Usually less than $50) than a $900-$1000+ 2 cour BD set.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
The disc sales model just isn't sustainable, and needs to be changed to a merchandise centric model. It's much cheaper and easier to buy a game that's based off an anime ($40-$75), a figure ($13-$300+), Dakimakura ($90-$200), a mousepad (usually no more than $100) or a plushy (usually no more than $100), or keychains, clear files, and T-shirts (Usually less than $50) than a $900-$1000+ 2 cour BD set.

Maybe, but it is working now. Everyone is a doomsayer nowadays. PC gaming is dead, physical media is dead, and etc. If there is any change it will be a slow change. But there still is no equal comparison between the Japanese model and the NA model. As long as Japanese fans are happy to fund the current anime model, nothing will change. And there is no indication that is changing anytime soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5