• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Streams English Trailer For Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE RPG

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gundam0084

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:12 am Reply with quote
It's a shame Nintendo decided to not have English voice overs for this game. That will definitely prevent possible new fans from buying it. At least they could have given players the option over which voice track they would prefer. This may just be due to financial reasons, I'm sure.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:59 am Reply with quote
Some have said it would be down to them not being able to find VAs who can also sing. I'm not too sure how true that is as they could of just left the songs unchanged.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:34 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Some have said it would be down to them not being able to find VAs who can also sing. I'm not too sure how true that is as they could of just left the songs unchanged.

There are many voice actors who can sing, but it's likely that the songs would have remained in Japanese anyway, especially if additional licensing costs may be necessary. I don't want to call Nintendo lazy, but they probably don't have the greatest confidence in this title...
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Any changes made to the in-game content were due to varying requirements and regulations in the many different territories Nintendo distributes its products.

Seems like a really roundabout way to say they're censoring swimsuits and other sexual content. Though in this case they're alienating the casual fans they are censoring this for by not including an English dub, so both sides get shafted. I really wish they wouldn't keep harping on the fact their priority was to keep this game as genuine to Japanese culture as they can because it's so disingenuous with all of their actions.

-Stuart Smith
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote
If there's a bright side to this, at least Atlus will be performing the translation of TMS #FE and not the Treehouse.

However, with no English version present, this title is going to have a hard time selling, particularly thanks to the censoring of Tsubasa and Kiria's outfits (despite them occurring during the title's development) and the possible censoring of other "controversial" content within the game.
Sango chan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nintendo told Game Informer that Atlus is localizing the title "in a way that is consistent with the localization work they do on games they publish" and added that "it was a priority to ensure the game feels familiar and appeals to longtime Atlus fans. Any changes made to the in-game content were due to varying requirements and regulations in the many different territories Nintendo distributes its products."

So basically even though Atlus is translating TMS, They are forced to do want Nintendo wants them to do. Nintendo still is messing this game up with it's ****. They don't own the game ATLUS does. What the hell gives NoA the right to tell them what can and can't be in ATLUS' own game. they are just putting on Nintendo's system. You don't see other game system owners telling the other people who own's games what they can and can't put in here.

Nintendo go back to the Kid's games and leave the teenage and up games alone.

Atuls really should've made this game on PS4 or the Vita. Then this wouldn't of happened.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Sango chan wrote:

So basically even though Atlus is translating TMS, They are forced to do want Nintendo wants them to do. Nintendo still is ****ing this game up with it's ****. They don't own the game ATLUS does. What the hell gives NoA the right to tell them what can and can't be in ATLUS' own game. they are just putting on Nintendo's system. You don't see other game system owners telling the other people who own's games what they can and can't put in here.

Nintendo go back to the Kid's games and leave the teenage and up games alone you ***holes.

Atuls really should've made this game on PS4 or the Vita. Then this **** wouldn't of happened.

Gee that last bit would be awfully difficult due to the fact that Nintendo essentially owns the ip rights to the Fire Emblem series that makes up practically the entirety of this game which is also why you won't see this game on a non Nintendo platform. And also why they can call shots concerning what happens to the game's production, localization, etc if they so choose.
manapear

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:55 am Reply with quote
I'm always so amused (and at times frustrated) with people that don't understand Nintendo's involvement in a game. . . Like, aside from funding, when they have some (or more) oversight, like. . . I don't even know. It's late or something.

Funny that this is almost the first time Atlus has kept JP voices in a game (probably because Nintendo), and it's the one title where they have the least amount of voices I'm interested in. So much yes for Saori Hayami and Ami Koshizumi (and a couple of other voices), but man. . .

At least Nintendo is getting it. JP voices, or at least options, please~.
LinkSword

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:13 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Gee that last bit would be awfully difficult due to the fact that Nintendo essentially owns the ip rights to the Fire Emblem series that makes up practically the entirety of this game which is also why you won't see this game on a non Nintendo platform. And also why they can call shots concerning what happens to the game's production, localization, etc if they so choose.

Considering what poor representation of Fire Emblem this game has, it'd have been as easy as making those characters into made up, medieval-ish warriors. There isn't really much more in the way of FE representation than that, the game is mostly just a peculiar branch of Persona. It doesn't even represent traditional Shin Megami Tensei, just the Persona branch of it.

-----
Anyway, I'm not going to go all over again about how underhanded Nintendo is with everything about this localization from their ''keeping Japanese audio to respect the original setting'' bullcrap to making the Atlus team into the scapegoat for their stupid censorship, but suffice to say I'm getting more and more fed up with NoA. And I do prefer original audio and I do not care about swimsuits and crap, but that's beyond the point.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
LinkSword wrote:

Considering what poor representation of Fire Emblem this game has, it'd have been as easy as making those characters into made up, medieval-ish warriors. There isn't really much more in the way of FE representation than that, the game is mostly just a peculiar branch of Persona. It doesn't even represent traditional Shin Megami Tensei, just the Persona branch of it.

It is nice to see someone who actually remembers Persona is apart of the SMT franchise especially when discussing this game.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to buy it, but I'm not touching this NoA butchered mess. They need to stop censoring for no reason.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I've beat the game and I have to say I liked the ending, but the story and characters draaaaaaaged for the first half of the game or so. It gets more Fire-Emblem-esc as the story goes on, but even then, it doesn't really play like it at all. The characters start out pretty bland and some don't really get more interesting. Coming from me, that means a lot because I rarely ever complain about something unless it's REALLY blegh. And this game... isn't necessarily "blegh", and I liked it, but I'd hardly put it on the top of my favorite RPGs.
It's a shame because both SMT (including Persona) and Fire Emblem are two amazing RPG franchises. This game could've been so much more...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:20 am Reply with quote
LinkSword wrote:
Anyway, I'm not going to go all over again about how underhanded Nintendo is with everything about this localization from their ''keeping Japanese audio to respect the original setting'' bullcrap to making the Atlus team into the scapegoat for their stupid censorship, but suffice to say I'm getting more and more fed up with NoA. And I do prefer original audio and I do not care about swimsuits and crap, but that's beyond the point.

I don't understand. They change a lot of stuff and people complain that they're not being faithful. Now they announce they want to leave it to Atlus to be as faithful as possible and people complain about the same things.

What do people want them to do? What do they want them to announce?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1