• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World-

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chex mix

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad the show went in a direction i didn't expect at the end, because the whole king is sick, succession nonsense was definitely looking boring if it continued in straightforward, fantasy novel progression. On a side note, I've never understood, and therefore always vaguely been irritated by, the trope of studying for succession. Wtf are you studying for? If I'm to believe you're qualified to rule, which your demi-protagonist status says you are, then shouldn't you know whatever it is already? The only time this trope has ever made any sense to me at all is in the Wheel of Time books, which i won't spoil by defending the appropriateness here, other than to say that maybe if they at least said what emilia was studying and why she didn't know it yet i would be far more okay with it. Otherwise, it's just a lazy way to keep her in off screen land.

Side notes: Puck is amazing. Drill loli, not amazing, thank you subaru for calling out her stupid hairstyle trend. Not interested in a spy plot unless they convince me why i should be. Frankly, the last scene was the best part of the episode.

Despite all my bitching, this is still one of my favorite non-sequel shows of the season.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I don't find the whole "having to study for succession" bit at all hard to buy. We are talking about a situation where the king is unexpectedly missing and the rest of the Royal Family is (presumably) unexpectedly dead, so people who weren't originally groomed to take over the kingship are now being considered. Given that, they may have a lot of details about laws and procedures that they will be expected to quickly absorb in order to be ready for their duties. Sounds like some kind of magical determiner is involved, and that could easily consider depth of knowledge about the kingdom's laws and history as part of its criteria.

And yes, I fully agree with others who have posted that Puck is immensely more likable than a certain other mascot character that I could name this season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And yes, I fully agree with others who have posted that Puck is immensely more likable than a certain other mascot character that I could name this season.

A couple of issues with Puck that was thinking of, unrelated to her likability:

* In this incarnation, Subaru clearly knew Puck and what she could do without being introduced. Nobody questioned that.

* If Puck knows what is in Subaru's mind, does she know about his past lives in this world?

I understand the complaints some people have been writing about Subaru but I for one appreciate the anime trying to break out of expectations. Part of that is his expectations and where they go wrong. We are now far down a chain of unknown length of otaku-transported-to-real-fantasy-world (OTTRFW) stories. So many, in fact, that Subaru himself seemed to be almost expecting it to happen. We don't really need the replay of another story just with new characters.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote
this shows reminds me of higurashi, no, not bwcause of the loops, but because of how annoying the show is when everything is happy , on the other hand it is really enoyable when things go wrong; so I guess now subaru will develop house-caring skills, if puck can read subaru's mind that explains the "plot hole" in the previous arc and if the relic reacts, that means that both subaru and the blonde loli from the previous arc are possible king succesors as my waifu killed subaru after he touched the relic.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Betty is my spirit animal. Anime hyper

Nah, in all seriousness, Subaru is much easier to like when he lays off the meta stuff, but it is nice to see at least one character who doesn't put up with his long speeches. And it is refreshing that for all of Subaru's innuendos, he seems much more earnest than typically dirty-minded. He might end up growing on me after all.

The maid's relations to the the head honcho does strike me as...odd? Bizarre? It just seems weird that she's sitting on his lap like a child and he's petting her head like that. Just kind of sends my head into some unsettling directions; maybe they're seen as more like pets than as people, or maybe some weird surrogate father-daughter relationship is going on here. Despite that this felt largely like a breather in between arcs, I was pleasantly surprised to see the plot pick up again at the end of the show, and that was a pretty compelling ending.

Where are people picking up on Puck being female, though? I can't remember that being stated in the show. (Actually, as a spirit being, I would've thought Puck just didn't have a gender, but whatevs!)
chito895

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:16 pm Reply with quote
^ I just referred to Puck as a she only because its cutesy "adult" form and because it has a female voice. Other than that, it seems to me it is, as you said, genderless
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:38 pm Reply with quote
review ep 4 wrote:
If Emilia does eventually fall for him – and presumably she will – then it won't be a mystery why.

Given that he has already shown some ability to make her smile and laugh I would say he is better than halfway there already, future loops notwithstanding.

If I were him I would try to talk to her about the loop phenomenon. Odd that he hasn't thought of that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:46 pm Reply with quote
after all the initial poor reviews for this show I held off on watching it but now glad that I did as I got to binge watch through episode 4.

I have to say I really like Subaru's character, it's refreshing to have a laid back main character who isn't annoying as hell. The fact that he's not overpowered while at the same time not useless in a fight is also a good balance, and I like this playful interactions with everyone in ep 4.

Definitely something I'm going to stick with unless it does a 180 down the road.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I really like Subaru too. I even enjoy his meta commentaries, because he's the kind of person who just says what's in his head. I too am surprised he hasn't blurted out his looping yet.

I don't think Puck meant he (despite the female seiyuu, I always saw him as male) could read his thoughts literally, just that he could discern his mental state and threat level. Puck is now my favorite character because it was so refreshing to see an animal genuinely enjoying being petted for once. Usually they either just put up with it or actively hate it.

I think Subaru was killed in his sleep, since Mathers did make that slashing motion at his neck when discussing him.

One thing that really resonated with me this episode was all the blood-letting. My hands frequently look just like Subaru's by the time I'm done doing anything that involves knives or other sharp objects. Right now I'm healing up a wound on my hand from trying to pit an avocado (knife just slid right off and halfway through my palm), and a finger that I tore up on the air filter (!) from my lawn mower. This is only a couple months after getting four stitches in my thumb from glass unexpectedly breaking. So watching his trials in the kitchen and garden just made me giggle in sympathy. Very Happy
Eternal Dragon Of ChaOZ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:21 am Reply with quote
I am really liking this show so far.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:31 am Reply with quote
Why did he wake up in the bed? With out knowing he'd been killed? What moved the reset point?
hurafloyd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:06 am Reply with quote
As the latest episode title implied in a roundabout way...

The happy times came to an end xD.
chex mix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Actually, I don't find the whole "having to study for succession" bit at all hard to buy. We are talking about a situation where the king is unexpectedly missing and the rest of the Royal Family is (presumably) unexpectedly dead, so people who weren't originally groomed to take over the kingship are now being considered. Given that, they may have a lot of details about laws and procedures that they will be expected to quickly absorb in order to be ready for their duties. Sounds like some kind of magical determiner is involved, and that could easily consider depth of knowledge about the kingdom's laws and history as part of its criteria.

Sorry I didn't respond before, my phone makes it a pain in the ass to quote and sometimes I just give up. Anyways, I'm fine with this explanation. But it has to be actually given in-show. Otherwise, it's just a cheap trope used to shuffle characters off-screen as necessary, and I find it annoying. Kind of like the talking during fight scenes one? This is mine. Well, let's be real, one of mine. But this particular one has been a bug up my butt since I picked up the Xanth novel series in the 80s and realized after the first few times that the main character rotation was the same damn thing every time, and omg seriously just find a new reason or don't explain it at all. Laughing

Anyways, in general, I feel like if something like that could be sorted out with a few lines anywhere in the episode, it's lazy not to. A show should stand on its own. Also, if we had to sacrifice some loliservice minutes for, you know, plot service, I would not bemoan the time spent. You know, like, if it came down to it. Razz
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm told that the newest of those comedy shorts addresses Puck not questioning Subaru already knowing who he was in the previous episode.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wMxAFOf9YEI

Of course, since CR isn't subbing these for some reason, I can't say for sure.

And I'm pretty sure Puck is male. I believe he referred to himself as a "lady's man" in the previous episodes. And Beatrice calls him "nii-chan" in Japanese.
TUSF

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
The shorts are being fan-subbed, at least.
That said, Puck brings it up, and claims he doesn't know him, but Subaru doesn't seem that bad a person (despite being weird). Though he says if he does anything weird, he'll have to dispose of him (probably not serious, maybe).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 73