• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Older Funimation DVDs Have Multi-Angle Credits?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
DuchessBianca wrote:
I'm not trying to start anything but since it was brought up in the article I don't understand how anyone can possibly get upset over translated credits. Pretty much everyone watching NA anime DVD's/Blurays baring some extremely few exceptions aren't fully fluent in Japanese that's why subtitles exist and if that's the case how is having a bunch of kanji that you cant read at all appearing on the screen any benefit to you the viewer? If your a fan of a particular anime, Japanese Seiyuu, producer etc.. wouldn't it be beneficial to you to be able to see with translated credits who is voicing who, who directed what etc...?

Speaking purely for myself, I'll say I don't THINK that the translated credits show all the Japanese names that show up in Kanji. Some may show "major" people, but there's a LOT of staff that don't get their names "romanized" (in part because NAMES can definitely be an "inexact" science unless you know what they all SHOULD be, since Kanji can have various readings). As for the larger point, I'll say this. My "spoken" Japanese needs a LOT of work, and my Kanji is practically non-existent. BUT, I can read hiragana/katakana pretty well AND there are a few specific people in the anime industry that I either know their names (in kanji) or am fully willing to look them up online to confirm things. I have definitely looked at Kanji in the credits to check on specific people that I had hear were involved with projects, say as an "episode director" or other "lesser" roles, and I appreciate being able to find them there.

I've seen that too, I'm not sure if it still occurs or not or if it's just case-by-case where the primary staff will be listed but remaining staff (animators if any, supporting companies etc) would be cut off in favor of the localization staff. I feel like this isn't as common as once was it seems more effort is made to play all the credits entirely.

I recall the instance of ADV doing this on AIR by looping the ED to continue on with their staff after going through the Japanese. I imagine some others may not care for the English credits because translations can be hit or miss.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Quoting is a pain on a tablet so I'm just going to comment/reply generally.

The latter discs that used this system coincided with constant online complaints about picture quality, which died down after they stopped doing it (around Ouran IIRC). Oddly, there were never really any complaints about earlier examples like Kiddy Grade although, as mentioned, other than FruBa those shows tended to have only a few episodes per disc. I did have one theory at the time mind, that their encoder got stuck on the Fruits Basket settings....

I've just finished watching Blade Dance and it is just as well that Sentai have left the Japanese credits intact since the translated credits included the same handful of cast for every episode - including one who only appeared in a couple at the start. It was a similar story for From The New World, made more apparent by preceding that handful of names with a detailed list of every English bit part VA. FUNimation replacing the credits makes it harder to tell what they have left out, and makes error checking very difficult (although it is better these days with subtitles streams having the original credits - a few years ago the only way to access the Japanese credits without resorting to fansubs was to import the discs, which isn't really viable)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:44 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
I'm not trying to start anything but since it was brought up in the article I don't understand how anyone can possibly get upset over translated credits. Pretty much everyone watching NA anime DVD's/Blurays baring some extremely few exceptions aren't fully fluent in Japanese that's why subtitles exist and if that's the case how is having a bunch of kanji that you cant read at all appearing on the screen any benefit to you the viewer? If your a fan of a particular anime, Japanese Seiyuu, producer etc.. wouldn't it be beneficial to you to be able to see with translated credits who is voicing who, who directed what etc...? If the reasoning behind it is because of Japanese purity reasons then I'll have to extremely disagree because I fail to see how translated credits of all things in any shape, way or form takes away from the experience when all it does is let you be able to read and understand what is being said just like subtitles, and watching subbed anime kinda takes away from the Japanese purity in itself anyway as the Japanese don't watch anime subbed. If the issue is because the text could obscure the OP and ED videos I can understand how that might be an issue but doesn't nearly every anime DVD/Bluray set include a textless OP/ED song anyway?

Sorry if this was lengthy or off topic but I'm just trying to understand how its a possible gripe for anyone.
Well there is the want to make it look "authentic", but one of the bigger issues, especially with the ED's, is having these disasters.
http://i.imgur.com/d03zLXn.png -FUNimation opted to just re-use Geneon's credit-rolls. This is how just about everyone back in the day did credits, they just plastered a huge credit-roll on the ED (here's another example). If you've watched enough ED's with the Japanese text intact, you'd notice they tend to not roll like that. Plus the JP credits are designed to display only JP staff (as the shows are meant originally for a Japanese audience first and foremost), not English and Japanese, so that's more text that has to be rolled.

http://i.imgur.com/G7PbKeG.png -This affects the ED on every episode of both seasons including the epilogues, one of which you're seeing. They never fixed this as FUNi would sooner jump off a cliff than make new discs.

You don't always get creditless materials, sometimes because they don't exist, or because the licensor didn't provide them. Look at what FUNi did at one time when they didn't get creditless materials for whatever reason (Birdy as I showed earlier was one of them, and one of the worst offenders).
http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?8564-Sekirei-&p=70260&viewfull=1#post70260

They stopped later on due to very negative feedback, thankfully, and do the translated-credits black screen credit roll method when this happens.

In regards to Trigun, Geneon slapped the credits on the only creditless materials Victor Entertainment provided them, so you ended up getting only version 1 of opening 1 every time, FUNi repeated Geneon's mistake on their 2010 release by re-using that OP on every episode, though they fixed things on the Anime Classics release.

Another problem is back in the singles era, when companies tried to put translated-credits, it could really hurt the video quality, like so (actual episodes on the Geneon singles looked like this).

Some other issues are how the Japanese credits can have specific fonts, many times very specific to the opening and endings and being part of the actual animation itself, and the English-translated credits won't make attempts to replicate that.

And one of the worst issues is when you have JP staff missing. Like FUNimation for instance is known for many times replacing JP staff credits with their own because apparently the English staff is far more important than the people that poured their blood and sweat into making the actual show. I heard with say Evangelion 2.22, much of the JP staff went uncredited in FUNi's roll. If one does know Japanese (there is a minority that know Japanese and still buy some R1 releases), you can still see the full JP credits.

The correct method for credits I feel is the Sentai method (black screen with the translated-credits later) and the Rightstuf (who will play the ED music (with no subtitles) and even have an image) and Media Blasters (they'll play the credits on a black screen with music) method (roll the credits after each disc).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually not a big fan of those releases where the credits are all in Japanese and it annoys me a bit that its pretty much become the industry standard. Especially the Sentai approach of putting this ugly generic text scroll and the end of each and every episode.

It bothers me less with Blu-Ray than DVD (The low picture quality of the DVD combined with the Japanese text intact looks really tacky) but I wish more people still put in English credits. At the very least some end credits so I know who plays the characters.

Weirdly, it doesn't seem like NISA have decided what approach they should take. Toradora is in Japanese, NagiAsu has English text and Love Live has Japanese text with a plain English text scroll at the end of each disc crediting the staff, the seiyuu and the dub VAs.

Though in response to what someone else said, I do get how watching it in Japanese with the English VAs being credited can be weird. I saw Attack on Titan subtitled on TV once and it was weird seeing Bryce Papenbrook credited at the end of every episode.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:46 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
You don't always get creditless materials, sometimes because they don't exist, or because the licensor didn't provide them. Look at what FUNi did at one time when they didn't get creditless materials for whatever reason (Birdy as I showed earlier was one of them, and one of the worst offenders).
http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?8564-Sekirei-&p=70260&viewfull=1#post70260

They stopped later on due to very negative feedback, thankfully, and do the translated-credits black screen credit roll method when this happens.

In regards to Trigun, Geneon slapped the credits on the only creditless materials Victor Entertainment provided them, so you ended up getting only version 1 of opening 1 every time, FUNi repeated Geneon's mistake on their 2010 release by re-using that OP on every episode, though they fixed things on the Anime Classics release.
As many of the images in the fandompost links are no longer active, I'll point out that I posted a couple of comparisons in the Retail Forum for Sekirei and Birdy the Mighty Decode between the R1/US and R2/JP releases.

Though with Trigun, Geneon did use the unique openings for the 2005-07 LE and "Remix" re-releases. Which made it all the more frustrating that Funi "backslid" to the status of Geneon/Pioneer's original 2000-01 8-disc singles release, though it sounds like they finally rectified things in 2013 with the AC release.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
c933103

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Shirobako's special OVA feature two version of credit, one for in-universe staffs, another for actual staff, and yuyuyu's first volume BD feature two version of same content, one that simulate its initial airing's chained two episode showing without OP/ED in-between, and the other version is normal episode with normal OP/ED. So this is definitely technically viable and have already been done, the problem is just willingness.

Quite a whole lot is possible with one episode on a disc, yes. Note that it isn't the alternate angles but the seemless transition and has the disadvantages noted in the original article.
yes, both of them are seemless transition, in yuyuyu's case you only need to pick what version you want before start watching and apparently the shirobako one is like this too. Without the use of angle you does not have that bitrate problem, and there're more than enough room on BD to encode a few minutes extra content into it to facilitate such switching.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I love what RightStuf/Nozomi did with His and Her Circumstances back when it was first released, where the language you chose dictated the credits, ending previews, and titles (choose the dub? The show titles, episode previews, and credits are in English. Choose the sub? They're all in Japanese).

I'm glad Viz is using all the OP variants for Sailor Moon as new cast members join the team, instead of just using the third variant like Geneon/Pioneer did way back in the day when S and SuperS were first released.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
Having multi-angle credits might have been cool back in the day with the sacrifice to video quality, nowadays there's really no need for them especially since fans who want to see the original Japanese ending can just look it up on You-Tube. Wink
K.o.R

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:16 am Reply with quote
Since people like the "non-scrolling" credits, why don't companies use subtitles to achieve the same effect? I know this would look laughably awful on DVD-resolution stuff (hi, You're Under Arrest!) but surely BD subtitle formats could do it?
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:01 am Reply with quote
K.o.R wrote:
Since people like the "non-scrolling" credits, why don't companies use subtitles to achieve the same effect? I know this would look laughably awful on DVD-resolution stuff (hi, You're Under Arrest!) but surely BD subtitle formats could do it?
That tends to not turn out so good, particularly from FUNimation. Look at how awful it looks on FUNimation's simulcasts.
https://youtu.be/iug12DnMNHQ?t=43s
https://youtu.be/PmE0bJTdCCQ?t=6s
http://i.imgur.com/8hI5HrC.png
http://i.imgur.com/63joXuV.png

Hell, they even did this on the Evangelion 3.33 release which was a complete disaster when it comes to credits (you have to hope the ANN encyclopedia is accurate on this one, 99.9% of the JP staff isn't credited properly for English speakers), and it still looked awful.
http://i.imgur.com/4xuukZD.jpg
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=11784694#post11784694

Why they did that when they later did a black screen credit-roll with only the English staff, IDK. If only they rolled translated credits later, this is NOT how you do credits FUNimation. You did not create Evangelion 3.33, you simply helped translate it, put it out on BD/DVD, and gave it an English dub, a far cry from creating the thing from scratch, so you need to properly credit the JP staff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:23 am Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:

You can see the affect of feedback by watching Vampire Miyu TV; I think they ended up eventually leaving the credits alone and doing a separate English scroll, but for at least the first disc they slapped boxes on top and they clearly didn't have clean credits since the action just paused in places where the Kanji credits were about to appear.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
K.o.R

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
K.o.R wrote:
That tends to not turn out so good, particularly from FUNimation. Look at how awful it looks on FUNimation's simulcasts.
https://youtu.be/iug12DnMNHQ?t=43s
https://youtu.be/PmE0bJTdCCQ?t=6s
http://i.imgur.com/8hI5HrC.png
http://i.imgur.com/63joXuV.png

I meant on clean footage; of course it's going to look awful if you do it that way.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:47 pm Reply with quote
^

Animeigo did that on the Ah My Goddess DVDs, English credits created through subtitles overlaid on a textless OP and ED.

[Edit]: removed unnecessary nested quotes. Please read the quoting guidelines. Errinundra.
Alex Clark

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:19 am Reply with quote
I've never understood why some anime fans are bothered by translated credits. It seems to me that the entire purpose of credits is to be read and understood by the audience, if the credits are in a language that the audience can't read, then they aren't fulfilling their purpose. It's like objecting to translating a book.

However, I am bugged by american anime companies changing the show logos for a few reasons. Often times an anime's logo is incorporated into the opening sequence in a way that is more integrated with the animation of the opening than plain old credits, to the point where adding in an american logo constitutes altering the opening too much for my taste. Plus, the american logos almost always look terrible and poorly integrated, like when anime companies used to do overlays to change Japanese text into English. And changing the title of the show or movie just bugs me in general. Like ALL the old Dragonball Z movies had drastically different titles in America than in Japan; marketing is understandable, but when I'm watching the japanese version I'd like to see the japanese title, not the english title in an ugly overlay pasted over the original footage. Episode titles are a problem too with some Funimation shows, like Dragonball again. I get that they change the episode titles for TV airings, but if I'm watching the uncut DVD or Blu-ray I'd like to have the original Japanese episode titles and title screens.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:28 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

Weirdly, it doesn't seem like NISA have decided what approach they should take. Toradora is in Japanese, NagiAsu has English text and Love Live has Japanese text with a plain English text scroll at the end of each disc crediting the staff, the seiyuu and the dub VAs.

This could be due to them only getting clean openings or closings to some titles. Sentai has had a few release where they were only given a credit-less opening, Taisho Baseball Girls being one example. This isn't as common as only receiving Japanese credits, but it does occasionally happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3