• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Flying Witch

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:31 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Chinatsu is picking up bad habits from them.

They're obviously used to Muggles.

Who do you mean by "they"? If you mean Makoto and Akane (which was who I was talking about), I don't understand the comment. Not sure I understand it anyway as a response to my post. Smile
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Who do you mean by "they"?

The yokai, kami, ghosts, spirits or whatever that are being accosted by our main characters. Makoto isn't a Muggle and technically Chinatsu isn't either but they were acting like it.

As far as I can see no character in this anime has any problem with any other character in the slightest. So you shouldn't either.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I have a problem with the anime presenting their behavior as if it were acceptable. Smile Celebrities are used to dealing with fans too, but even if they're tolerant and gracious about it, it doesn't make it ok to run up and start taking pictures of them while they're having dinner out.

Akane is even less considerate than Makoto. That's why I said they were both modelling bad behavior to Chinatsu.
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:47 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I have a problem with the anime presenting their behavior as if it were acceptable. Smile Celebrities are used to dealing with fans too, but even if they're tolerant and gracious about it, it doesn't make it ok to run up and start taking pictures of them while they're having dinner out.

Akane is even less considerate than Makoto. That's why I said they were both modelling bad behavior to Chinatsu.

Eh, I do think the anime is portraying them as pretty touristy. And Akane certainly comes off as the bad influence big sis (or negligent at least...she got drunk and let her friend turn herself into a dog and all). But it all comes off as more of a "face-palm" sort of thing rather than "wow they're awful". This show is just too laid back for anyone to get really hurt or offended for reals, so it's hard to come down real hard on it.

I was certainly thinking "hey leave the nice ladybugs and dark veil lady(?) alone and hey good job traumatizing your ghost waitress you'd better leave a huge tip" for the most of the episode. I was kind of hoping that the cafe staff would have politely told them to stop embarrassing themselves.

But then that damn adorable fox came along... and I don't know if I could have resisted trying to snuggle that one. At least they asked first.
Melchiorgk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I just liked how the fox trolled them by barking like a dog.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm still wondering whether the Harbinger of Spring will make another appearance before the end of the season, or does he have just one job and then he vanishes the rest of the year? Maybe he shows up in the southern hemisphere in September? Or is he just the Harbinger for Japan?

I think it's actually still spring on the show; the seasons seem to be more or less in sync with the original air date for each episode.

What makes me suspect the Harbinger may make some kind of return appearance eventually is how prominently he's featured, walking and clapping, in the opening, compared to Anzu, her mother, and Hina, who only appear in, like, a single shot, although there's probably a mundane explanation for that like "The Harbinger of Spring's animation model sheet was already complete when they animated the opening."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Yeah Akane's reaction to seeing Nao and Kei was pretty hilarious with the 'heeeey" and her facial expression, the scene was really well done and the punchline to the fortunes was undramatic but still good as well
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

I know different cultures and even different households prepare food differently, but I was surprised to see them leave the stringy root tail on the radishes. And yet, no one ate that part (at least not on screen). Which made me wonder why they didn't cut them off. Do they eat around it and leave it like an apple core, since they also left the leaves on for decoration (and a handle, I guess)?

Still, made me hungry for radishes, which I don't often eat. Nothing better than a good radish burp. Wink
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:22 am Reply with quote
With all the radishes it'd make me wonder if Miyazaki's Radish Spirit might show up... I also know they are well-meaning but I wished they didn't say "it's the pretty Inukai-san" when she turned human, she is a beautiful person and plenty pretty in her "fox" form. I know she's supposed to be a dog in connection with the "Inu" in her name but then I think she'd have to be a pomeranian-husky mix "fox-dog". Looks like a fox to me. And, wow was Akane a creep with her "heeeyyy, heeeyyyyy", I thought she was drunk! Good to see more of their lives away from home.
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:12 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 9

I know different cultures and even different households prepare food differently, but I was surprised to see them leave the stringy root tail on the radishes. And yet, no one ate that part (at least not on screen). Which made me wonder why they didn't cut them off. Do they eat around it and leave it like an apple core, since they also left the leaves on for decoration (and a handle, I guess)?

Still, made me hungry for radishes, which I don't often eat. Nothing better than a good radish burp. Wink

The roots don't really taste like much, so it's more of an aesthetic thing to cut them off for salads and such. Also, radish greens are pretty good in salad (can be kind of bitter/spicy like arugula).

On the other hand, I found it pretty freakin weird that they were just eating raw radishes straight up and going "YUM!". What the hell. I mean I know fresh-picked veggies taste better than store bought (carrots and tomatoes in particular come to mind), but I gotta have something else with my radish. No wonder the Japanese tend to be so slim if they think raw radish is incredible. Speaking of which, OF COURSE they might help you lose weight because no one ever has gotten fat eating radishes.

And in today's installment of "Flying Witch makes me feel like an old lady": Makoto being called grandmotherly sure hit home. Goddammit. I recognized the plants in her garden before it was even stated what she was growing. Same with seeing all those radishes. First thought that came to mind was homemade pickles, just like Makoto. :-/

To makes things worse, I also have the laziness of Akane. I totally napped between two cats today as well.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:28 am Reply with quote
DrunkAyanami wrote:
On the other hand, I found it pretty freakin weird that they were just eating raw radishes straight up and going "YUM!". What the hell.

That's the only way I've ever eaten radishes (sans tops and tails). Shocked When I buy a bunch at the grocery, I gobble 'em right up and they're gone in a couple days. I can't even imagine how they'd taste pickled. >,<

But I like raw veggies anyway. Even potatoes. Can't stand cabbage or carrots cooked, but love them raw. Cabbage stinks, carrots get too sweet and both are too mushy. Not too fond of cooked onions either, though they smell awesome and make things taste good. They just feel like worms in my mouth. :/
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
That's the only way I've ever eaten radishes (sans tops and tails). Shocked When I buy a bunch at the grocery, I gobble 'em right up and they're gone in a couple days. I can't even imagine how they'd taste pickled. >,<

This is also my preferred method of radish consumption, although I could probably stand to clean them more thoroughly. As a lifelong radish lover, I've always been intrigued by pickled radishes - but I've never quite worked up the courage to sample them. Since I'm currently 0 for 5 with pickled veggies, smart money's on me not liking them.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
[quote="DrunkAyanami"]
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Speaking of which, OF COURSE they might help you lose weight because no one ever has gotten fat eating radishes. cats today as well.

i think they referred to the fact that they belong to the group of vegetables that have so little calories the act of chewing/digesting them uses up more calories than what they give, like cucumbers and celery.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Biggest question I have after watching last week's episode: where did Akane get the film from the disposable camera developed so quickly?

I guess the teleportation circle must go to more places than just back to the Kuramoto's yard in Hirosaki. Like maybe also to a 1-hour photo developing place that's still open. (I can relate, I still take film shots sometimes but it's getting harder to find local places that still develop it, and they no longer do it in an hour.)

Last edited by Tenchi on Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:27 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
This is also my preferred method of radish consumption, although I could probably stand to clean them more thoroughly. As a lifelong radish lover, I've always been intrigued by pickled radishes - but I've never quite worked up the courage to sample them. Since I'm currently 0 for 5 with pickled veggies, smart money's on me not liking them.

If you dislike the vinegar, you might want to try fermented pickled veggies, like sauerkraut and kimchi. They have a sourness that balances out the acidity.

If it's the sugary pickles that you dislike... I am with you there. I tend to stick to dill pickles just because they are so salty and not sweet at all.

On the other hand, if you hate salty and love sweet, look for a "sweet pickled beets" recipe instead.

If none if these sound appealing, then yea, maybe pickles are just not for you. I won't make you eat them as long as you don't make me eat straight up raw radish. Smile

This has been a PSA from your drunken grandma. Now if you don't mind, I need to go stake my raspberry bush and check on my chard...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7